Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
There are 3 rifle ranges within 65 miles of here and i've realised i can't do load development and find an accurate load at any of them due too gunrange goofs .
All three ranges have the shooting benches all one piece 2 have the seats connected to the benches , so everytime someone next to you shoots or moves it shakes your crosshair. I've given them the name ''ammo-wasters'' they come to the 100 yards range and fire a shot about every two seconds using one of the pieces of treated 4x4 wood as a rest or shooting off their elbows . Never shooting a group inside of 7-10-20'' just bang bang bang . When they leave another one takes their place with his ak-sks-ar handfull of russian ammo . They need to let them shoot at the Dump for free so the rest of us can sight in a gun .
I've been trying to work up loads on some [should be] accurate rifles and have made no progress in a few years thanks to the goofs .

Myself and two other guys spoke with the Bay County shooting range about it - they're discussing how to go about the problem - we were not the first to mention this by a long shot according to them . So maybe after many wasted rounds by me because of the goofs i can get a 6.5x47 L shooting inside of 1.5'' --LAF .
Was looking over my group data this evening and got riled up when realising how long this has been going on .
I've had to leave to range many times when the goofs surround me , you can't talk nice to them and get them to show a small amount of consideration . 130 mile round trip drive and $10 range fee down the drain .

You folks living out west or people with a quiet [goofless] range have it made - here in craphole florida it sucks .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's crazy that you don't have a bench to yourself.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Google U-Haul

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
There are 3 rifle ranges within 65 miles of here and i've realised i can't do load development and find an accurate load at any of them due too gunrange goofs .
All three ranges have the shooting benches all one piece 2 have the seats connected to the benches , so everytime someone next to you shoots or moves it shakes your crosshair. I've given them the name ''ammo-wasters'' they come to the 100 yards range and fire a shot about every two seconds using one of the pieces of treated 4x4 wood as a rest or shooting off their elbows . Never shooting a group inside of 7-10-20'' just bang bang bang . When they leave another one takes their place with his ak-sks-ar handfull of russian ammo . They need to let them shoot at the Dump for free so the rest of us can sight in a gun .
I've been trying to work up loads on some [should be] accurate rifles and have made no progress in a few years thanks to the goofs .

Myself and two other guys spoke with the Bay County shooting range about it - they're discussing how to go about the problem - we were not the first to mention this by a long shot according to them . So maybe after many wasted rounds by me because of the goofs i can get a 6.5x47 L shooting inside of 1.5'' --LAF .
Was looking over my group data this evening and got riled up when realising how long this has been going on .
I've had to leave to range many times when the goofs surround me , you can't talk nice to them and get them to show a small amount of consideration . 130 mile round trip drive and $10 range fee down the drain .

You folks living out west or people with a quiet [goofless] range have it made - here in craphole florida it sucks .

My condolences man. I cant imagine living in a place where i couldnt run out to the national forest or blm land with my portable bench and shoot as long as my heart is content. Shooting without interruption is really needed for shooting precise groups and working up loads. I feel for you. I can relate though. I went to my range the other day and it was chit poor weather. I thought no one would be there, but I was wrong. There were 5 guys under the covered rifle range and they were all standing up shooting their AR's. They littered the concrete slab with brass and left a mess. I was at the pistol range:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Shooting some of the steel targets that I made. Waited until about 45 minutes before dark and then the bozo's left the rifle range. Then I got my chit thrown in the back of my Tacoma and headed over to the rifle range to shoot my new 22lr target rifle:

In some of these pics, you can see the brass laying on the cement slab under the benches. Usually we keep that chit swept up, but these morons don't give a chit... They were the types that pull the trigger about every half second but rarely hit what they were aiming at......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I feel your pain.

IMO, too many ranges are designed by boards or well intended folks who may like guns, support the Second, etc., but don't know much about shooting.

Most of us are a combination of gun nut and shooter, but there is a difference and too many lean disproportionately to the gun nut side, more gun nut than shooter.

JMO

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Last time I went to the range a guy got a saboted bullet stuck half way down in his front stuffer and was throwing a fit. Other than that it was peaceful enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My club range is pretty good but it goes get pretty crowded on Saturday’s. Each shooter has his own bench, but with the prevalence of fas guns, plenty of times empty brass is being flung all over the place.

My solution was to rearrange my work schedule so that once a moth I swap one of our off Fridays for a Wednesday. The range is deserted on Wednesday afternoons smile

Obviously this nay not be an option for everyone, but if possible tryi. To give yourself an occasional weekday at the range can be extremely helpful. I have no problem setting up the chrono, going cold when o want to swap targets, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fortunately, our range is on the farm. One bench. 100, 200 and 300 yards. No goofs.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Same here, I had a girl with me at the range.
Not being cute but she was well endowed,
The twins were substantial, and as you can imagine,
She was out to impress, and me being me, I had no qualms.
Til one of the semi auto Phux landed some hot brass down
Her shirt. Damn brass branded her. I was pissed,
It’s not a new problem for me, if you go to the range, you need to be responsible for where and in what direction your brass gets spent, I am occupied shooting groups so when your hot brass comes at me, it shouldn’t be a surprise when I come have words with you.

So this guy proceeds to tell me, “it’s a gun range, your gonna get hit with hot brass!! Get over it,”

So yeah, that didn’t go to well..
I won’t post what I said, but to be sure I made it clear I didn’t see things that way.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Your own bench - how nice that would be . .

scottbrad google steelheads a dork - don't get mad though -laf.

The bench designs suck at all of the ranges .
crestview shoal river - falling apart - run down bad .
argyle bullets and bones seat height horrible since they poured a slab .
bay county range [right by my hunting lease] stupid design on benches connected as mentioned , small narrow part where your rear elbow goes is very narrow - then portion where front rest would go is way too short . Sit in the ''corner'' of bench - your rest has to be under bottom metal of rifle - then rear bag xx anyway you have to turn sideways to sit at bench you cannot sit straight squared up with target .My plan is to take a wide board to the range and clamp it to their crap to add about 2' of length .
We can now shoot from the ground at the 300yd. range [no goofs rocking the boat] but it's dead flat and you'll be shooting through weeds which might not be the best way for load development - laf.
For years it was out of the question to walk down and place a target at the STEEL SHOOTING RANGE - not allowed to paint a spot or anything you just hit the huge life size buffalo at 200 yards , 300yds. big pig/turkey/coyote/deer steel so close they were all one target and pat yourself on the back - laf . To ''qualify'' to shoot at the 300 yard range you had to be able to hit a sheet of notebook paper five times at 100yds. - you could try as many times as you wanted - true! . Many have failed time and again i'm told .
Paul39 ,
I spoke with the top guy in tallahassee a few years ago and got the 17mach 2 legal on public land - he'd never even heard of it . smile
Emailed him about the silliness of this range - it's much better than it was a few years ago .

I went monday before Christmas hadn't been in 3 years still sucks but not as bad as it use to . I sneek and shoot at my lease at night 3 bright led lights shined on a target .
Closed tues/wed. no midweek slow times .

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/16/20.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive seen guys trying to sight in rifles shooting off hand.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jericho
Ive seen guys trying to sight in rifles shooting off hand.

My uncle - then bumps sights with a hammer , he's a coon hunter - he can go through a box of ammo getting a coon shot out of a tree .

Posted by Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have also seen scopes mounted backwards on a rifle

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Thought about prone?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Higbean
Thought about prone?

That's what i'll be doing if i ever get load development finished to my satisfaction .
In the summer -which is 9 months long here- they don't mow enough - seen weeds/grass nearly high enough to mess with bench shooting . Maybe they'd let me shoot from the side berm ?

I've got to move back to Idaho ! smile might very well do that .....

Jericho -- no way . . . . smile

Posted by Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have also seen scopes mounted backwards on a rifle

Wow...

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My condolences man. I cant imagine living in a place where i couldnt run out to the national forest or blm land with my portable bench and shoot as long as my heart is content. Shooting without interruption is really needed for shooting precise groups and working up loads. I feel for you. I can relate though. I went to my range the other day and it was chit poor weather. I thought no one would be there, but I was wrong. There were 5 guys under the covered rifle range and they were all standing up shooting their AR's. They littered the concrete slab with brass and left a mess. I was at the pistol range:
Shooting some of the steel targets that I made. Waited until about 45 minutes before dark and then the bozo's left the rifle range. Then I got my chit thrown in the back of my Tacoma and headed over to the rifle range to shoot my new 22lr target rifle:

In some of these pics, you can see the brass laying on the cement slab under the benches. Usually we keep that chit swept up, but these morons don't give a chit... They were the types that pull the trigger about every half second but rarely hit what they were aiming at......

What’s even better you can be set up clear in the other side and here they come saddle up next to you.. the range I belong too after 1600 members only so that’s a plus, Monday and Tuesday members only.. we have a public range here in the valley public use, but you need to be packing up by high noon.. that’s when the AR boys show up.. I usually end up being that guy telling everyone to read the rules of the range. Because never ph ucking fails idiots handling firearms while folks are downrange checking targets..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At the range in Colorado, fella with his ol lady he was trying to
Sight his rifle in, so he has this pillow for a rest. He gets the chair and kneels in it not sitting, but kneeling on his knees in it. He’s using the pillow to pad his elbows. So he shoots, and that’s when the blood started pouring from his head., He scoped himself real good..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For a while, I used to use a public state owned range. It was free....conveiniant a few miles from the house...benches were nice enough.

It was often a war zone. Despite a 5 round loading limit, no rapid fire etc...guys would burn through a box of 20 high power rifle rounds in a couple minutes.

My favorite thing to do was glass other guys targets while I waited for a barrel to cool. Made me feel not so safe sharing the woods with them....and made me feel like the deer were likely safe. I couldn't believe how poorly the "average" guy shoots. I never thought holding a group with a scoped rifle at 100yds off a bench was that big of a deal....but 00 buck patterns better than many of those guys.

The whole cease fire going down range crap got ridiculous. They'd either do it every 3 minutes or go forever. I learned to put up a number of targets and plan to sit there till I was done.

Now I'm pretty fortunate. I have 2 clubs within 2 miles of the house. I can step outside and take a listen and see if the ranges are occupied lol. I'm a member of one. I am going to join the other this year as well...buddy said they have a really nice setup and a lot of steel and longer ranges than my current club. And will give me another option if one is busy or closed...ran into that last year...someone booked it for a wedding or something and I was working on a flintlock turkey gun.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The volume shooters are kind of annoying but I don't normally mind them too bad, because they leave a ton of brass for me to snag. Until they start doing mag dumps with a braked rifle anyway.

I don't rag on them much, they have as much right to be there as I do. Like it or not, those young mag dumper AR and AK guys are the future guardians of the 2nd Amendment. I'm glad to have them on my side. The more of them the better.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
What i spoke to the range officers about is keeping the ammo wasters together and away from the precision shooters who might be fine tuning a rifle .
My own comments written in my Lyman reloading log show that - goofs ruin any chance of precision shooting .

Here on the Coast the wind starts picking up around 9:30-10am and calm days are very rare , getting one of those calm day then getting surrounded by ammo wasters sucks .

I think the precision shooters could work together - no way the ammo wasters are going to wait for someone to shoot a group they wouldn't even understand what you're talking about .

A guy here -ammo waster type- - i told him how thick the praire dogs were in Kaycee , WY. - told him i fired 800 rounds in three days and barely made a dent in them . He explained to me how he'd love to take two AK-47's and 10,000 rounds of ammo - how he would mag dump the ammo in one day . I told him there wouldn't be any PD's left if he went there and shot them like that . He asked why the hell i fired one shot at a time - said that sounds boring as hell . smile

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sucks. The range I belong to is mostly quiet this time of year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luckily, last time my son and I went to the range with our bolt guns (a few Saturday's ago), we were shooting from the benches on the left end of the line. Everybody else had AR's of some form and were shooting at 25 to 50 yards and the brass was flying. We were ringing the gongs at our own pace with precision!! LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One-piece benches? That's a terrible ideal. Got a circular saw and a coupla' 2x4s?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've noticed an increase in the number of "mag dumpers" at my range. Even when they slow down their hit percentage on an 18" gong at 50 yards isn't too good. I should bring my snub nosed 38 and beat their results to see if they get the point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My range is the same way. One piece concrete benches and the mag dumpers seem to come out of the woodwork. My old range had individual benches and it was much better. One day this arsehole shows up with his kids. He leaves the kids in his car while he bangs away his Remington 742. No rest, no nothing. Can't figure out why he can't hit schitt. Keeps turning around and yelling at his kids. They wanted to get out and shoot too. The other guys on the range were obviously getting as annoyed as i was, not so much at the kids as the dad yelling at them constantly. I finally had enough and told him that if he'd brought a .22 for his kids to shoot or something he might not have to yell at them all the time. He just looked at me, packed his crap and left.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently went to a public range for the first time in 30 years. Reminded me why I built my own on my last place. AR and AK clip dumpers are obnoxious. When I needed to set up the chronograph, it was out to the Natl Forest.
I remember one time developing a load for my silhouette revolver, I began to set up at the 100 yard line. The range officer came over and rather unpleasantly told me I couldn't shoot a revolver at 100 yards. I asked why not and he told me I couldn't hit the target at 100 yards. Asked him if I shot at 25 yards and showed him the target would he agree to let me shoot at 100.He agreed and I brought him a target with 5 holes you could cover with a quarter.
He let me shoot at 100 after that.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I went to the Bay County Range the second week it was open this is the Range a couple of miles from my hunting lease so very convenient for me . There were holes in the roofs of the 50 & 100 yard ranges , i asked a Range Officer WTH ?? he said it happens everyday . Pistol and 300 yards same same .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was setting up steel silhouette targets at a pistol match. I was in plain sight of the shooting line. A guy starts shooting targets that were between him and me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on what I see frequently at the Fraternal Order of Police public range near Birmingham, there is a lot of missing going on in the deer woods. Even with the range provided rifle rests and fairly nice individual tables, most do well to keep 4" groups at 100 yds. Many do far, far worse. Watched a guy with a Rem 7400 jamo-matic 308 the other day chase the zero around through a full box of ammo. He was working on an 8" 50 yard group, but kept adjusting the scope after every shot. He had no idea where he was hitting after a few shots. I asked if he could use some help getting his rifle sighted in. He gladly accepted. After I tightened the screws on his see-thru scope mounts, I started on a new target and got a decent 1.5" 50 yd three shot group that was very near the bullseye. I asked if he wanted to see where it was hitting at 100. He said "nope" and indicated that he was good to go for hunting now. At least he did thank me. This is pretty typical at this range.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Based on what I see frequently at the Fraternal Order of Police public range near Birmingham, there is a lot of missing going on in the deer woods. Even with the range provided rifle rests and fairly nice individual tables, most do well to keep 4" groups at 100 yds. Many do far, far worse. Watched a guy with a Rem 7400 jamo-matic 308 the other day chase the zero around through a full box of ammo. He was working on an 8" 50 yard group, but kept adjusting the scope after every shot. He had no idea where he was hitting after a few shots. I asked if he could use some help getting his rifle sighted in. He gladly accepted. After I tightened the screws on his see-thru scope mounts, I started on a new target and got a decent 1.5" 50 yd three shot group that was very near the bullseye. I asked if he wanted to see where it was hitting at 100. He said "nope" and indicated that he was good to go for hunting now. At least he did thank me. This is pretty typical at this range.

Ah, the pie plate brigade. Those are the guys who you ask what they shot when they get back to camp. "Heard a shot from your area, what'd you get?" "Me? I didn't shoot. Must've been the neighbors."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw a scope mounted 90degrees off......... he had a hell of a time getting on paper.........

I helped him get it sighted in...

Should I have told him that the lefty/righty knob was now the uppy/downy knob?????

And another one FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob............

Or the one that couldn't get on paper at 25 yards.................

And then the one that said my chrony was broken............. 'cause the box said velocity was 2450 and the chrony had all different numbers..................

Last edited by muffin; 01/17/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Try having someone shoot a .50 cal rifle with a huge brake on the table that is way to close to you with no warning while you have your eye to the scope testing loads. Drew blood on my forehead. He was to the left of me and I could have lost my an eye had it not been for glasses.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I get what everyone is saying about mag-dumpers and other annoying people on the range, but here is the deal:

As long as they aren’t endangering others they are 2nd amendment allies. They are free to shoot how they please. It is more important to welcome others into the community than to drill one hole groups off of a bench. As they spend more time around guns, do their own research and maybe even get training, they will become more proficient, less annoying to others, and finally, they will end up on boards like this complaining about the mag-dumpers, such is the circle of life.

Range rules ostracize shooters. Fudd-only clubs take up valuable space and provide very little useful opportunity to learn the practical application of firearms.

I say live and let live. A kind word solves most problems, and a shaky bench can be solved with a shooting mat and a bipod. Repeated legitimate safety concerns are a different story.

In any case, we can all agree on one thing: the worst people are the ones with muzzle brakes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

What’s even better you can be set up clear in the other side and here they come saddle up next to you.. the range I belong too after 1600 members only so that’s a plus, Monday and Tuesday members only.. we have a public range here in the valley public use, but you need to be packing up by high noon.. that’s when the AR boys show up.. I usually end up being that guy telling everyone to read the rules of the range. Because never ph ucking fails idiots handling firearms while folks are downrange checking targets..

Yeah, thats a good one to bring up. I know you love your ar's, as I do too, but some guys that bring them to the club are extremely unsafe. We had one guy pop in a mag, load one in and then proceed to sweep all of us sitting at the benches. My buddy jumped up and yelled at the dumb fu ck, "hey, don't ever do that again!!!!" He then said, "I know you are a new club member, but if you ever do something like that again, you'll get kicked out of the club!!!". Its everyone's responsibility to make sure people are safe. During one of our centerfire competitions, we had a couple new guys setting up for the competiton and they asked if they could get zeroed in. We have some pretty understanding club members and our competitions aren't too serious, but when we walked downrange I had extra holes in my target:
You can imagine I got pissed when I found this on my comp target... After the same numb nuts had a negligent discharge at the line, we had to have a little talk with him. Him and his buddies also decided they didn't want to shoot comp with us..... Fuggers.. I would have loved to take their fu cking money!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I've noticed an increase in the number of "mag dumpers" at my range. Even when they slow down their hit percentage on an 18" gong at 50 yards isn't too good. I should bring my snub nosed 38 and beat their results to see if they get the point.

Amen.. What worries me is some of you (not you mathman, but some previous posters) guys think these people are 2A supporters, wehn they probably aren't. Around here they support the hell out of meth production and use. They are starting to give us real "2A supporters" a bad name and that's not good for gun owners as a whole... These pukes are the ones dragging out old tvs and couches to shoot at and hang targets on. They litter the hell out of our forests and shooting spots. In the end, they are bad news for us. Trust me....They aren't helping matters..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m not ammo dumping with my AR, I’m their grouping 10shot groups. I single feed all the time, since that’s what we have to do during mid range prone shoots.. the one club i belong too has rso’s they do a pretty good job keeping everyone honest..

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Amen.. What worries me is some of you (not you mathman, but some previous posters) guys think these people are 2A supporters, wehn they probably aren't. Around here they support the hell out of meth production and use. They are starting to give us real "2A supporters" a bad name and that's not good for gun owners as a whole... These pukes are the ones dragging out old tvs and couches to shoot at and hang targets on. They litter the hell out of our forests and shooting spots. In the end, they are bad news for us. Trust me....They aren't helping matters..

One day I spent 30 minutes picking trash up on the 25yd range at public use range. The chit I was picking up was mind boggling, bras, socks I’m like wtf.. I’m out their picking trash up two guys show up look at me. I said it’s chit like this that will get this place shutdown. They look at me and go up to the rifle range, thanks ass holes for helping out. The best one was when, these guys asked can we shoot tannerite pointed out on the rules they have screwed to the wood beams. That no you can’t, well next cease fire they setup the tannerite and shoot it. Me and buddy look at them go wtf, two of them left. One stick around to help clean up the ph ucking mess..

Last edited by 79S; 01/17/20.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m not ammo dumping with my AR, I’m their grouping 10shot groups. I single feed all the time, since that’s what we have to do during mid range prone shoots.. the one club i belong too has rso’s they do a pretty good job keeping everyone honest..

My club also had (still have) RSO's. At one time, they were required to be there anytime there were people there shooting. Now it's not a requirement, so you get dip chidts coming out doing what ever the hell they want... Now, when we are doing a shoot, they either have to join in, or leave...

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hell I feel bad when I shoot my muzzleloader at public ranges. I tell guys sorry man..

Last edited by 79S; 01/17/20.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

One day I spent 30 minutes picking trash up on the 25yd range at public use range. The chit I was picking up was mind boggling, bras, socks I’m like wtf.. I’m out their picking trash up two guys show up look at me. I said it’s chit like this that will get this place shutdown. They look at me and go up to the rifle range, thanks ass holes for helping out. The best one was when, these guys asked can we shoot tannerite pointed out on the rules they have screwed to the wood beams. That no you can’t, well next cease fire they setup the tannerite and shoot it. Me and buddy look at them go wtf, two of them left. One stick around to help clean up the ph ucking mess..

Damn man, that sounds like here too. That's what I am saying in my previous post about some of these people aren't our friends. "2A supporters" or not... They don't do us any good..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I try to get to the range when they open, still it isn't long before the EBR crowd shows up. Overhead concrete baffles seem to amplify the noise those things make, can't do any precision shooting with that commotion so I leave when there get to be so many that it's a real distraction. My other peeve is when groups of them share a bench and cannot keep their mouths shut, always has to be a running commentary going on amoungst them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Paul39
I feel your pain.

IMO, too many ranges are designed by boards or well intended folks who may like guns, support the Second, etc., but don't know much about shooting.

Most of us are a combination of gun nut and shooter, but there is a difference and too many lean disproportionately to the gun nut side, more gun nut than shooter.

JMO

Paul

We don't have those problems.

http://redwoodgunclub.org/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm lucky. I shoot at a private range and often have the range to myself. Rarely more than 2-3 others there and I've never had a truly bad experience. But I won't go on Saturday or any time during the 2 weeks prior to deer season. If I go on Sunday I'm putting up targets in the dark and shooting at 1st light. We have an electronic gate with a code to get in so I don't have to wait for them to open. They don't mind setting up before daylight, just no shooting before sunrise, or after sunset. No one else shows up until about 10AM when I'm about finished. If I get there and there are already more than 2-3 I turn around and go home. I tend to see the same people, we seem to have the same schedules.

The range is closed on Monday's and if I go early on Tuesday I always have to spend a few minutes pulling down old targets from the weekend crowd. That is about the worst thing I have to deal with. I do see a few things that leave me shaking my head. Some guys can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I see some targets that are pretty bad. And I don't understand the concept of firing 20-30 rounds at the same target. The guys on the handgun range are the worst offenders for this. After the 1st few how do you know where you're hitting. I'll put up multiple targets and fire no more than 3-5 rounds at each. When there is a break I tape over my holes and do it over.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm lucky to have a nice range that has about 1800 members.Sometimes on Tues. and Wed. mornings I may be the only one there.

http://corpuschristigunclub.com/

Requirements

Applicants must be able to legally own a firearm in the State of Texas
Applicants must be 18 years old or older
Applicants must have no felony record
Applicants must have two existing club members, in good standing, as sponsors
Applicants must attend an orientation class
Applicants must submit a properly completed membership application
Applicants must pay a $50 initiation fee
Dues for 2020 are $174.00 (due by 12/31/2019) (gate cards are turned off on 1/5/2020 until renewal dues received).

Last edited by baldhunter; 01/17/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Last time I went to the range a guy got a saboted bullet stuck half way down in his front stuffer and was throwing a fit. Other than that it was peaceful enough.

It ain't stuck until your ramrod breaks.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

According to the facebook posts I see and post cards from snowbirds, I always thought it was nothing but rainbows and unicorns delivering free candy every day in Florida?

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sounds like [bleep] ranges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surely you meant to say “when you go to the range, make sure you don’t set up where other people’s brass is going.”

If you could have moved, and did not, it’s all on you.

Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
if you go to the range, you need to be responsible for where and in what direction your brass gets spent.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i got very tired of poorly trained people shooting guns ,so i put up my own 100 yard range on my property with a indoor heated shooting house and lights too,even got it state and county approved as a gun range now.some of my closet friends use my range too, now thats how i solved my problem at the rifle ranges.

Last edited by pete53; 01/17/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Our local gun club has a 100 members and the local police force can use. Only has a 100 yard rifle range but has 4 concrete benches and is covered. Only bitch I have is a member donated some very nice silhouette targets intended for rim fire and within a month someone had shot all of them with hipower to the point they were completely destroyed.

I also have my own backyard range that I can shoot 100 yards for group and have steel at 25, 50 and 100.

Neighbors have a 600 yard range with a single concrete bench, That I occasionally use. A good friend has a pasture that we can reach 1200 yards but his schedule and mine don’t match up very well and I seldom shoot there.

CK
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Surely you meant to say “when you go to the range, make sure you don’t set up where other people’s brass is going.”

If you could have moved, and did not, it’s all on you.

Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
if you go to the range, you need to be responsible for where and in what direction your brass gets spent.

Same goes when it come to muzzle brakes. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never been mad a anyone at the range, actually find it comical sometimes, especially when the 300 magnum kids showed up

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Haha.
Must suck to have to go to a public range.
I can shoot up to around 650 at my property.
Don’t have to ask permission either and don’t have to worry about other people unless I invite them.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
What part of Florida are you? I'm in Marion County and I dont have that kind of problem here.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No, because I shoot at the deer lease. I grew tired of gun ranges long ago.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have lost track of how many guys I have met at the range in the last few years that were "snipers" in USMC Recon, SF, Navy SEALS, etc. take your pick.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
66. Know lots of .300 magnum kids that would give YOU a lesson in shooting..

Molon Labe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Elliot
What part of Florida are you? I'm in Marion County and I dont have that kind of problem here.

Bay Country - panama city beach bay county shooting range on steelfield rd . .

Other ranges mentioned walton = bullets and bones

okalooosa = shoal river sporting clays.

You don't have ak-47 SKS and AR shooters shooting 20 rounds in a minute or two -- lucky you ..

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
i got very tired of poorly trained people shooting guns ,so i put up my own 100 yard range on my property with a indoor heated shooting house and lights too,even got it state and county approved as a gun range now.some of my closet friends use my range too, now thats how i solved my problem at the rifle ranges.

Know what you mean. This was my 100 yard range on my last place. Also had one on a ridge top where I could shoot out to 350 yards. Didn't know how good I had it until moving to suburbia.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I generally wait for rainy or cold days to go to the range. Then I usually have the place to myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I first moved to this area (DFW) in '96 I was not shooting much because I just didn't know where to go. After a while I discovered the public ranges and began shooting more as I'd done in the past, but it didn't take long to reach the conclusion that trying to shoot groups at such lousy facilities just wasn't going to cut it. I discovered North Texas Shooters Association on-line and applied for membership. There was a waiting list and it took about a year to get in.

After shooting at NTSA a few years, I had an opportunity to get on a hunting lease that was ours to use as we pleased for the most part with year around access. It beat the hell outa punching holes in paper and I figured I just didn't need the club membership anymore and I sold it---at a profit. When I needed to do any range work, I shot at a new public range that very few even knew existed and it was not bad at all. After about five years on the lease, the property was sold and I found myself having nothing but that public range, and the volume of shooters out there increased quickly as the word spread. Before long, it was like all the other public ranges. Guys would go downrange and post their target over mine even though it was obvious the position was occupied. They'd shoot my targets. There was one, long common wooden bench (which was fairly sturdy, but not sturdy enough), and guys would be pounding on sandbags while others were trying to shoot. I would get there early on Saturday or Sunday mornings and usually could fire a few groups undisturbed before the crowd started arriving. I'd be there set up on the position I liked the best with no one around, and the next guy in would set up to my immediate left to shoot an AR15 without a brass catcher. Some of these a$$holes would want a ceasefire every ten minutes so they could go look at their targets. That's the sort of crap I put up with as long as I could. I wanted back on at NTSA, but the waiting list was now four years long.

I found a guy selling his membership and snagged it at more than double the official club price, but that's money in the bank. There are a lot of guys seeking memberships and there is no doubt I could get my money back within 48 hours. My membership is NOT for sale, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No, I meant what I said, and if you set up throwing hot brass on me, I guarantee we will settle that!!

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have lost track of how many guys I have met at the range in the last few years that were "snipers" in USMC Recon, SF, Navy SEALS, etc. take your pick.

Not to mention the super secret snipers on contract with the CIA or whatever, ready to fly where needed on a moments notice.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hate having brass raining all over me while I am trying to sight in a rifle. When I go to the nearest public range to me, I try to get as far away from the semi auto dudes as I can. Or I try to get to the left of them. I have been burned several times by the zombie slayers than I care to think about. Been 1 or 3 almost altercations over it as well.

My range has a rule of 1 second between trigger pulls. I was talking to the range master last time I was out, and he told me that they are discussing making it 5 seconds if not 10 seconds.

There is no way you are sighting in a rifle with a shot every second. You are just shooting to burn ammo.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 01/20/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We have idiots at our range as well. Not going during the weekend, or anytime in the months of September or
October cuts way back on the interaction with them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Heavy snow with minimal wind.... usually a good time.

Agree about poorly designed and linked benches....

Thinking about paying for one of those hog hunt ranches, and just setting up a couple of long targets...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Back in the summer I was at the range shooting a new S&W AR15 at the fifty yard berm. Truck pulls up with two bearded muscled gentlemen who got out with an AR15. They asked if they could shoot too. I said "sure thing" and took my spotting scope over for them to use while I began packing up to leave. These guys knew what they were doing and did not take them long to be shooting a single ragged hole at the 50 yard target. The AR they were shooting they had just purchased from a local gunsmith. From their conversation I could tell they had a military affiliation. I did not ask if they were associated with the local fort but I was assuming that they might be since it is a live fire fort and hosts many types of soldiers. Light was fading fast and I was swatting mosquitos when they finished up and returned my spotting scope along with two PMAGS fully loaded with a "thank You". I was shocked and said, " I can't take these from you"....they chuckled and said, "Why not? You bought them." and left.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am the only goof at my range, and I repeatedly piss myself off

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Had a guy at our range who brought his dufus 10 year old son with him. Range went cold, cleared weapons, etc, and the guy merely laid his M1 Carbine on his bench. Everybody downrange changing targets when "blam!"- we all hit the dirt. Turned out the idiot hadn't cleared the M1- left it with a round up the spout- and his dufus kid took to messing with it. Needless to say he was run off the property and told never to come back, unused portion of dues to be refunded. Maybe.

The guy was a familiar face, never a mishap before. Perhaps also the rest of us should've been more cognizant of our surroundings. Bottom line: lessons learned all around. At least no one got hit.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by huntstat
Back in the summer I was at the range shooting a new S&W AR15 at the fifty yard berm. Truck pulls up with two bearded muscled gentlemen who got out with an AR15. They asked if they could shoot too. I said "sure thing" and took my spotting scope over for them to use while I began packing up to leave. These guys knew what they were doing and did not take them long to be shooting a single ragged hole at the 50 yard target. The AR they were shooting they had just purchased from a local gunsmith. From their conversation I could tell they had a military affiliation. I did not ask if they were associated with the local fort but I was assuming that they might be since it is a live fire fort and hosts many types of soldiers. Light was fading fast and I was swatting mosquitos when they finished up and returned my spotting scope along with two PMAGS fully loaded with a "thank You". I was shocked and said, " I can't take these from you"....they chuckled and said, "Why not? You bought them." and left.

Couple of theives ....

Posted by Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the smartest guys in the room! If you don't shoot like I do you're an idiot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must be one of the bad guys?
Since I'm not one of those looking down on how
others enjoy their shooting.

Local range, or out own, never had any problem.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by huntstat

Was this near Chaffee?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Darryle
I am the only goof at my range, and I repeatedly piss myself off

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

I'm jealous. I need to learn how to weld.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can manage the odd piece of brass out of a semi-auto that doesn't go where the owner expects it to. Things happen. What I can't abide is a complete lack of acknowledgment that your empty brass's trajectory and landing spot is your responsibility. Twice I've had people bounce a full magazine worth of brass onto me. In both cases I picked up the empties, waited for them to look over, then threw the empty cases back at them.

One of them never said a word, just packed up and left with his Desert Eagle. He was doing mag-dumps with a .50AE Desert Eagle. The other was an AR owner letting his friend shoot, he apologized and put up a small cardboard box to block the empties.

Last edited by horse1; 01/23/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our public range is pretty quiet, with most (not all) shooters respectful and careful. No range officers, just a small town public range a couple miles out of town. If it looks too busy, I go home and try again later. The only really negative interaction I've had was with a fellow who hung out there to collect the brass others left. Mostly he did a service, I'd say. He wasn't shooting, just hanging out with a pair of earplugs in, drinking coffee. I asked if it was ok to shoot, wanted him to know the range was hot, and after ejecting an empty, it rolled off the concrete table. He made a beeline for it and grabbed it from the floor right next to my bench. I said hey, that's mine,, and he told me if brass hits the floor it is his. I took the bolt out of my rifle (didn't want any misunderstandings of how far I'd go for a piece of brass) and told him that till I left, my brass was mine. Must have looked serious as he handed me my brass and quit circling my bench like a vulture. It was first time reloaded Nosler brass....wasn't going to give it to a brass hound!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
About 8 years ago, I took a trip to a covered outdoor range with a buddy. He was getting into reloading and wanted me to go with him to try some loads.

The guy next to us(yes, the range was full due to rain)was running a 700 300 RUM with a muzzle brake. I've got nothing against brakes, but listening to them under cover is not my favorite place to be.

We had a cease fire for changing targets. Most everyone took off their ears, then you guessed it, BOOM! The guy next to us "accidently" lit one off while fingering his rifle during the cease fire. Yes, there were about 8 people down range! He was quickly escorted away and told to never come back. My left ear is still ringing and I've never gone back to a public rifle range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longshot3
About 8 years ago, I took a trip to a covered outdoor range with a buddy. He was getting into reloading and wanted me to go with him to try some loads.

The guy next to us(yes, the range was full due to rain)was running a 700 300 RUM with a muzzle brake. I've got nothing against brakes, but listening to them under cover is not my favorite place to be.

We had a cease fire for changing targets. Most everyone took off their ears, then you guessed it, BOOM! The guy next to us "accidently" lit one off while fingering his rifle during the cease fire. Yes, there were about 8 people down range! He was quickly escorted away and told to never come back. My left ear is still ringing and I've never gone back to a public rifle range.

Man that sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I've been extremely lucky, because I've never had the kinds of problems the OP and others have stated. Course, I've only been to 1 public range in my life. In Gloster, Ms., there is a range on the National Forest Land. Open to public, honor paying system, and good cement benches. Usually no one was there, unless it was right before hunting season. For a couple of dollars, shoot all you wanted. I use to go the weekends before hunting season, just to watch the show. You'd see all kinds of shooting. Some knew what they were doing and some didn't have a clue.

I've been fortunate to shoot on several private ranges and that's always good. Where I live now, I can shoot 100 yds off the porch, or 300 yds up at the barn, but if I want to shoot further, I have to go about a mile to my friends place. He's got a 600 yd range there.

The range stories I've read, here on the fire, just amaze me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I used to shoot at the public ranges since living out here but got fed up after having the same experiences already discussed here. Joined a private club. They have idiots too but not as many. Fortunately I am able to shoot during the week and I go early so I normally have the place to my self.

And of course I avoid the place during October and November when all the once a year shooters/hunters start showing up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One time when I was in FT Hood, TX we were doing night fire with M16 rifles. More than once I would see a tracer go a good 40 or 50 feet over the targets. It wasnt ricochets either, it was just somebody being a wise azz and launching bullets into the sky.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There are two ranges that I use regularly. From March to November I use the local Wildlife Federation range - outdoor, and not controlled. However, you can shoot almost any weapons (no shotguns & no exploding targets, steel cored bullets, tracer rounds, or armor piercing ammunition), and it goes up to 300 yards. The shooting positions are very nice - individual, and separated from each other by a few feet.

[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...f6149a57ddda60fa6b1d011a&oe=5E95BFF5[/img]

This was taken before the positions were rehabbed and the awning erected, but shows the cleared area for pistol targets, the 100 yard berm, and the 300 yard berm (up the hill a tad) - the 200 yard berm is barely visible just below the brush, and needs the grass removed. wink
[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...3cea0e29a84df635159ce560&oe=5E9C1EB1[/img]

Then there is the County-owned Shooting Sports complex. Two buildings... one for pistols & rifles (50 yards), and the other for those who shot a "qualifying target" on the 50-yard range (to make sure you can actually shoot somewhat accurately, so as to protect the long-range building). Yes, that's right - a 100/200/300 yard mostly-indoor range (only 50 yards is not covered by a roof)!

The 50-yard range costs $5 per hour per person, no matter how many weapons you bring. The 300 yard range costs $8/hr. I haven't used the 300 yard one yet, but I will when I am ready to sight in my rifles (I qualified expert 5x in the USMC, and was on the 1980 western US high school ROTC champion .22lr rifle team in high school, so I damned well better pass their qualifying target to go to the long-range building)!

The shooting positions on the 50-yard range (high for pistols/standing and low for sitting using bench-rest) are divided from each other with walls, and the targets are on a powered transport run - you enter the range you wand on the control screen and it runs the target out. Just press recall to being it back to you.

[Linked Image from wcgunrange.com]

[Linked Image from s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com]

Here is an article from when the range was refurbished from a Law Enforcement/Military training range to a public range: Weber County’s government-owned gun range

Living in Utah has advantages for a shooter.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess I never realized until now how fortunate I am to be able to step out my back door and shoot as much as my heart desires without worrying about being a bother to someone else or them being a bother to me

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Our public range is pretty quiet, with most (not all) shooters respectful and careful. No range officers, just a small town public range a couple miles out of town. If it looks too busy, I go home and try again later. The only really negative interaction I've had was with a fellow who hung out there to collect the brass others left. Mostly he did a service, I'd say. He wasn't shooting, just hanging out with a pair of earplugs in, drinking coffee. I asked if it was ok to shoot, wanted him to know the range was hot, and after ejecting an empty, it rolled off the concrete table. He made a beeline for it and grabbed it from the floor right next to my bench. I said hey, that's mine,, and he told me if brass hits the floor it is his. I took the bolt out of my rifle (didn't want any misunderstandings of how far I'd go for a piece of brass) and told him that till I left, my brass was mine. Must have looked serious as he handed me my brass and quit circling my bench like a vulture. It was first time reloaded Nosler brass....wasn't going to give it to a brass hound!

At a range I used to shoot at sometimes there were vultures hovering around too. Same thing, I don't care if they're there but sometimes they go too far. The worst was one day showing up and there was 4 very sketchy looking tweakers in a beat up truck that were out there with tools scouring the place for anything they could find. One was at the line with a hard tined rake scraping the dirt and grass around the benches and the other three were digging up the berm with large sieves scavenging bullets. They were prepared with several large drums in the back of their truck for their diggings so that wasn't their first time raiding a shooting range. It was on public land so I called a warden on the way out to report them, hopefully they got arrested.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackbat242
There are two ranges that I use regularly. From March to November I use the local Wildlife Federation range - outdoor, and not controlled. However, you can shoot almost any weapons (no shotguns & no exploding targets, steel cored bullets, tracer rounds, or armor piercing ammunition), and it goes up to 300 yards. The shooting positions are very nice - individual, and separated from each other by a few feet.

[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...f6149a57ddda60fa6b1d011a&oe=5E95BFF5[/img]

This was taken before the positions were rehabbed and the awning erected, but shows the cleared area for pistol targets, the 100 yard berm, and the 300 yard berm (up the hill a tad) - the 200 yard berm is barely visible just below the brush, and needs the grass removed. wink
[img]https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...3cea0e29a84df635159ce560&oe=5E9C1EB1[/img]

Then there is the County-owned Shooting Sports complex. Two buildings... one for pistols & rifles (50 yards), and the other for those who shot a "qualifying target" on the 50-yard range (to make sure you can actually shoot somewhat accurately, so as to protect the long-range building). Yes, that's right - a 100/200/300 yard mostly-indoor range (only 50 yards is not covered by a roof)!

The 50-yard range costs $5 per hour per person, no matter how many weapons you bring. The 300 yard range costs $8/hr. I haven't used the 300 yard one yet, but I will when I am ready to sight in my rifles (I qualified expert 5x in the USMC, and was on the 1980 western US high school ROTC champion .22lr rifle team in high school, so I damned well better pass their qualifying target to go to the long-range building)!

The shooting positions on the 50-yard range (high for pistols/standing and low for sitting using bench-rest) are divided from each other with walls, and the targets are on a powered transport run - you enter the range you wand on the control screen and it runs the target out. Just press recall to being it back to you.

[Linked Image from wcgunrange.com]

[Linked Image from s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com]

Here is an article from when the range was refurbished from a Law Enforcement/Military training range to a public range: Weber County’s government-owned gun range

Living in Utah has advantages for a shooter.

Those shooting benches look like someone who never shot from a benchrest designed/built them . Completely stupid , just like the crap around here - although great for laying down ''cover fire'' by mag dumpers ..

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/26/20.

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
One time when I was in FT Hood, TX we were doing night fire with M16 rifles. More than once I would see a tracer go a good 40 or 50 feet over the targets. It wasnt ricochets either, it was just somebody being a wise azz and launching bullets into the sky.

MANY people shouldn't own firearms - i know we all wish everybody would be safe with them it's just a fact that far too many people are ignorant in use them .
Saw this last night on youtube - forward to the 18min. mark and watch for 2min.30sec. . I did learn early in the video by an 'expert' caliber is determined by bullet diameter 'and bullet weight . Laf .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I truly envy those of you who own your own property on which you can shoot.
Originally Posted by Switch
Some of the smartest guys in the room! If you don't shoot like I do you're an idiot!

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It's amazing isn't it? Notwithstanding safety fouls, I pretty much tolerate any idiot at the range. As long as they are safe, they are good to go in my mind, irrespective of whether they are practicing mag dumps, shooting big boomers with brakes or socializing loudly. I can always leave.

Heck, we all regularly participate in discussions on this forum with people who mostly share our same interests. However, based on interaction between members we read everyday, there are a large number of "shared-interest" individuals with whom we would never even consider spending time with at the range. I include myself in that group also. I share these interests with a large number of members here who, after reading my posts, think to themselves, "jeez, I'd never want to spend a day at the range with that BigSky idiot".

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/30/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I truly envy those of you who own your own property on which you can shoot.
Originally Posted by Switch

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It's amazing isn't it? Notwithstanding safety fouls, I pretty much tolerate any idiot at the range. As long as they are safe, they are good to go in my mind, irrespective of whether they are practicing mag dumps, shooting big boomers with brakes or socializing loudly. I can always leave.

Heck, we all regularly participate in discussions on this forum with people who mostly share our same interests. However, based on interaction between members we read everyday, there are a large number of "shared-interest" individuals with whom we would never even consider spending time with at the range. I include myself in that group also. I share these interests with a large number of members here who, after reading my posts, think to themselves, "jeez, I'd never want to spend a day at the range with that BigSky idiot".

If we could just be separated where boomboomboomboom didn't effect others type shooting i wouldn't care if they melted their barrels off with 500 round mag dumps . . I don't want them to leave - just let handloaders and people zeroing a rifle be able to do what they came and paid to do .
Real simple shoot from these bench positions if you're firing an autoloading somewhat fast - definition - firing a round faster than every 20 seconds .

As i said earlier the RO said they've had a lot of people saying the speed shooters are ruining their range day and it's being discussed on what can be done .

Posted by Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is an old guy that frequents our range.....he's kinda borderline Alzheimers...he will clear a jam on one of his semi auto rifles
pointing his barrel to his right or left... at anyone sitting to his right or left...oblivious to it...

Range management tolerates him, and guys like me walk away when he's on the range..and leave it to him..

He's a guy in his late 80s, highly decorated Marine from the Korean War and also the early days of Vietnam...

Probably not the right thing to do....but I feel it won't be a long time before he's not going to be there one day...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
There is an old guy that frequents our range.....he's kinda borderline Alzheimers...he will clear a jam on one of his semi auto rifles
pointing his barrel to his right or left... at anyone sitting to his right or left...oblivious to it...

Range management tolerates him, and guys like me walk away when he's on the range..and leave it to him..

He's a guy in his late 80s, highly decorated Marine from the Korean War and also the early days of Vietnam...

Probably not the right thing to do....but I feel it won't be a long time before he's not going to be there one day...

Thats tuff!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saturday I was shooting next to a nice couple who were having fun with a braked 338 Lapua magnum. It had a good boom to it but wasn't bad to be around. No bother at all.

Sunday it was a little tough at the range. Someone was shooting what I believe to be a Romanian semi auto chambered for the 7.62 rimmed Rooskie. It literally stank up the place. Whatever is loaded into those steel cases must contain a significant percentage of some kind of crap. On top of that it was obnoxiously loud. The only thing on par has been a 30-378 Weatherby with a Swiss cheese muzzle brake. The big Wby had the pimp slap shock wave to go along with the ear splitting boom. But the Romanian rifle had the rate of fire advantage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saturday I was shooting next to a nice couple who were having fun with a braked 338 Lapua magnum. It had a good boom to it but wasn't bad to be around. No bother at all.

Sunday it was a little tough at the range. Someone was shooting what I believe to be a Romanian semi auto chambered for the 7.62 rimmed Rooskie. It literally stank up the place. Whatever is loaded into those steel cases must contain a significant percentage of some kind of crap. On top of that it was obnoxiously loud. The only thing on par has been a 30-378 Weatherby with a Swiss cheese muzzle brake. The big Wby had the pimp slap shock wave to go along with the ear splitting boom. But the Romanian rifle had the rate of fire advantage.

Druganov in 7.62x54R?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Something like that. It could have been called a Stinkanuff.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If we could just be separated where boomboomboomboom didn't effect others type shooting i wouldn't care if they melted their barrels off with 500 round mag dumps . . I don't want them to leave - just let handloaders and people zeroing a rifle be able to do what they came and paid to do .
Real simple shoot from these bench positions if you're firing an autoloading somewhat fast - definition - firing a round faster than every 20 seconds .

As i said earlier the RO said they've had a lot of people saying the speed shooters are ruining their range day and it's being discussed on what can be done .

And this is why suppressors should be removed from the NFA! If they were $150 like they should be, a lot more people would have them and then the only issue we would have with the mag dumpers is where all that hot brass was going!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

And this is why suppressors should be removed from the NFA! If they were $150 like they should be, a lot more people would have them and then the only issue we would have with the mag dumpers is where all that hot brass was going!

Depending on the make and construction, doing mag dumps with a suppressor canl wreck it in a hurry, they can get real hot real fast.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nothing is more depressing than to pull up to the range and see several guys with see-thru scope mounts and cheap scopes.. You know they will be cranking on those scopes trying to hit something for at least an hour or two. I saw a guy trying to hit a 100 yard target and waste a bunch of ammo, then he walked up to about 20 yards and still couldn't hit the target. I looked to see if he had managed to mount the scope sideways or something. I don't think the deer had much to worry about that year.

Another time I went to the range and had it by myself, but the person that had been there before me had blown up one of the newer cheap Remington bolt guns. I don't know what caliber it was, but I found pieces of the receiver and stock scattered around the benches. I never heard anything about an accident, but I don't see how the person could have escaped losing a finger or two. I didn't see any blood, so he might have got lucky. I'm just glad I wasn't their for the fireworks.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/17/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gun club is being sued right now. An idiot club member shot the neighbors German Shepherd right out of their backyard. SMH

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
My gun club is being sued right now. An idiot club member shot the neighbors German Shepherd right out of their backyard. SMH

Purposely shot the dog ?

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was down at the NRA Whittington Center range near Raton, NM, a week and a half ago, shooting with my wife. Had the place to ourselves. Awesome.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bring your own bench only way I can see around that.

All the shooting around you isn't an issue, but the vibration on the bench is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
I’m very lucky to have a great private club and since I live in the middle of nowhere...it’s almost always empty.

I’ve gotten to the point that if I drive by and the gate is open...I drive past. I don’t like shooting with or near people...I enjoy the solitude too much

GOD Bless America
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last year I just missed the goof of all goofs. I found pieces of an exploded Remington bolt action. It looked like one of the cheap ones they sell at Walmart with a scope. I don't know what happened, but I didn't see any blood, so I'd say he kept his fingers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike

Purposely shot the dog ?

Now theres one good reason that someone should loose their right to own a gun/weapon of anykind....plus he should be de-nutted by the dogs owner.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Agree .....

Posted by Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reivertom
Last year I just missed the goof of all goofs. I found pieces of an exploded Remington bolt action. It looked like one of the cheap ones they sell at Walmart with a scope. I don't know what happened, but I didn't see any blood, so I'd say he kept his fingers.

Probably just a rem 700 bolt laying on the ground. I see those every once in a while too.

BSA MAGA
Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Not easy to blow up a 700 and the kind of guy shooting a Walmart adl isn’t your typical handloading type

I found portions of a 03 one time. Was from a couple years prior I guess and a guy had one let go and legend has it he didn’t even so much as chip a nail...got very lucky. Known problem serial number range too...no idea why he had it out. Again wasn’t there and don’t know the guy

Last edited by Quak; 03/26/20.

GOD Bless America
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Last time I went to the public range in the National Forest many years ago I was almost shot and almost shot someone. I was there with a friend sighting in some guns and there were three others at the range shooting also. We all paused for a little while and asked for an all clear to check targets. Everyone called all clear and set their guns down. We proceeded to the 100 yd targets to put up nee ones and check the old ones. The guy on the far right was only shooting at 25 yds so got back to the bench first. By now you have probably guessed what he did next, yep he started shooting at his target while we were still down range. There were 2 still at the 100 yd targets and my friend and I had made it back almost to the 25 yard line. We all dropped prone and started screaming at him. My friend and I had already drawn our pistols and told him we would shoot his dumb ass if he didn’t stop immediately. He didn’t think he did anything wrong since he said we were not next to his lane! I have never been back

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by muffin
Saw a scope mounted 90degrees off......... he had a hell of a time getting on paper.........

Should I have told him that the lefty/righty knob was now the uppy/downy knob?????

And another one FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob............

And then the one that said my chrony was broken............. 'cause the box said velocity was 2450 and the chrony had all different numbers..................

I recall pictures of Phil Shoemaker (I'm pretty sure) doing that with his rifle. Just got to remember what you're doing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Called cease fire at the 100 yd range to check and place targets, Old gent with his grandson decides this little intermission was a good time to have his grandson wing some clays out of a hand thrower while everyone was down range. Everyone was like WTF are you doing, didn't phase him, said it was ok , he wasn't shooting at us, he was shooting over our heads, everybody calm down, he knew what he was doing. He was told to leave while he was still alive. Guy had been a member for decades..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I recall pictures of Phil Shoemaker (I'm pretty sure) doing that with his rifle. Just got to remember what you're doing.

I have a Leupold 3x on an 84M, 338Fed with X-low talleys.......turning the scope 90 degrees provides better access to the loading port. If that seems to present a
sight-in problem for some, they should go back to buckhorn sights........but then I see shooters that can't adjust iron sights either.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VernAK

I have a Leupold 3x on an 84M, 338Fed with X-low talleys.......turning the scope 90 degrees provides better access to the loading port. If that seems to present a
sight-in problem for some, they should go back to buckhorn sights........but then I see shooters that can't adjust iron sights either.

smile but but but up & down & left & right would be off by 1/4 ?? right ??? smile

Like people who won't own a CZ 452/455/527 rifle due too the '''backwards''' safety , sure hope those folks never got/get behind the wheel of a vehicle with a 3 on the column shift set-up .

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ever got peeved at gun range goofs?

Is the Pope catholic?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK

When I first read the story of Phil's .458 and the 90 degree rotated Leupold 2.5 compact, it made perfect sense. It really does provide better access to shoving a couple more rounds in there if the first volley didn't do the job.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I shoot at deer lease for that very reason

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not too long ago I had an incident involving a citizen who called the range cold. He turned around and walked down range. I tried to explain, yelling at that I had a malfunctioning loaded gun. I was totally ignored. When he got back it was loudly explained how inappropriate he was behaving. He explained that it was possible to take this loaded firearm off the pad into the parking lot. That done it. One more loud round explaining how he was mentally challenged. He apologized. I did likewise as my point was made some what inappropriately.

In another incident a citizen blew up, literally, a custom smokeless powder muzzle loader. Parts of the gun dented the cover. He was uninjured. That incident went viral. Result was smokeless firearms of this kind were banned from the club. He was using a very heavy charge of an IMR powder.

Last edited by Roundball1; 04/01/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
6 pages of one reason my wife and I have always owned our own land, so I had my own range. I know that isn't possible for everyone but, it is a matter of choices.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have my own range.

Here is my Daughter using it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

grin 4-1-20

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I joined a range when I worked and lived out of town during the week. It had a lot of members and a lot of users. I found the best times to adjust a scope or for load development was to be there and set up before dawn. You could start as soon as there was enough light, take your time, and the only company was a deer that would appear to get in front of the targets.

I could get a couple of hours of shooting and be at work usually on time. I can make much better adjustments when I don’t have to worry about what someone else is doing. And 2 hours is about my limit.

My target range now is on my farm. Even better except the grounds keeper doesn’t do as good. He is always off shooting.

Last edited by JustLucky; 04/10/20. Reason: Correction

2 b 1 ask 1 !
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Heard one guy tell another guy his 35 Rem kicked twice as hard as his 300 Win.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have my own range.

Here is my Daughter using it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

grin 4-1-20

Thank god that was an april fools joke!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get more pissed at the funds who think they have the right to determine how anyone else shoots at the range.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Since bsa1917hunt brought the thread to the top i'll comment .

Last week went to my hunting lease - been no hogs there and not a tire track nor anybody there due too the co19 crap .
Anyway we're not suppose to be shooting out there but i haven't seen a hog in two seasons neither has anyone else .
Set up a plastic xmart folding table [100yds.] small bulls bag - rear rest etc. and did some shooting three custom R-700 22-250 Mickey built for me , 6.5x47L. thx JPro , 280ai Nathan Dagley very low wind conditions .

ALL shot tiny groups and made me feel really good to finally be able to ''proof'' my loads and rifles which i haven't been able to do in years thanks to the ammo wasters at all the regional ranges .
Had some old rounds i had loaded with the saved factory brass from my 'then' factory R-700 22-250 - brass from the late 80's early 90's - remington brand . First five shot group measured .400'' . All three rifles put a big smile on my face sitting there in the shade on a nearly windless 70* day .

Next day shot down a different bushogged lane 276yds. NO wind - a dream come true here . I just banged away with all three rifles taking advantage of the great conditions mostly 3 shot trios not 5 shot groups . Couple of groups inside an inch [big smile] - none over two inches . This is off a flemsy plastic table and less than perfect chair .
OK just wanted to say how great it is to finally ''know'' my rifles are good to go and zero'd perfectly --- finally .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JustLucky
I found the best times to adjust a scope or for load development was to be there and set up before dawn. You could start as soon as there was enough light, take your time, and the only company was a deer that would appear to get in front of the targets.

I could get a couple of hours of shooting and be at work usually on time. I can make much better adjustments when I don’t have to worry about what someone else is doing.

When shooting at the local club, this has been my method for over thirty years. Unfortunately for me there have been several guys in the last few years who have "learned" the same thing. Oh well, at least the guys that tend to show up when I do that early seem to be thoughtful, intelligent people.

I am fortunate to have public land to which I can drive if I want a little privacy when the range is full of everybody who seems to be on different schedules for when cease fires should be called.

Originally Posted by gitem_12
I get more pissed at the funds who think they have the right to determine how anyone else shoots at the range.

Well played gitem, well played.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/11/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
When i lived in Idaho i was amazed at the number of people who pondered where they could go shoot ...?? Answer - just about anywhere -their reply - oh - didn't know that .

Some drove miles&miles to a shooting range and passed up thousands of acres of public land where shooting is legal .

---------------------------------

----------------------------------

Who said anybody was trying to tell anybody how they can shoot ?
We're just trying to work out a system of separation so the mag-dumpers don't disrupt the guys who prefer aim small miss small .

Posted by Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Since bsa1917hunt brought the thread to the top i'll comment .

Last week went to my hunting lease - been no hogs there and not a tire track nor anybody there due too the co19 crap .
Anyway we're not suppose to be shooting out there but i haven't seen a hog in two seasons neither has anyone else .
Set up a plastic xmart folding table [100yds.] small bulls bag - rear rest etc. and did some shooting three custom R-700 22-250 Mickey built for me , 6.5x47L. thx JPro , 280ai Nathan Dagley very low wind conditions .

ALL shot tiny groups and made me feel really good to finally be able to ''proof'' my loads and rifles which i haven't been able to do in years thanks to the ammo wasters at all the regional ranges .
Had some old rounds i had loaded with the saved factory brass from my 'then' factory R-700 22-250 - brass from the late 80's early 90's - remington brand . First five shot group measured .400'' . All three rifles put a big smile on my face sitting there in the shade on a nearly windless 70* day .

Next day shot down a different bushogged lane 276yds. NO wind - a dream come true here . I just banged away with all three rifles taking advantage of the great conditions mostly 3 shot trios not 5 shot groups . Couple of groups inside an inch [big smile] - none over two inches . This is off a flemsy plastic table and less than perfect chair .
OK just wanted to say how great it is to finally ''know'' my rifles are good to go and zero'd perfectly --- finally .

I can see where that would put a smile on your face.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When i lived in Idaho i was amazed at the number of people who pondered where they could go shoot ...?? Answer - just about anywhere -their reply - oh - didn't know that .

Some drove miles&miles to a shooting range and passed up thousands of acres of public land where shooting is legal .

---------------------------------

----------------------------------

Who said anybody was trying to tell anybody how they can shoot ?
We're just trying to work out a system of separation so the mag-dumpers don't disrupt the guys who prefer aim small miss small .

Yep, Nevada is the same way. Plenty of places to shoot. Oregon is pretty good too, if you know where the rock quarry's are. Or a place in the national forest with a good backstop....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same problems at almost all ranges. My recent experiences:
1. Range is called cold. Everybody checks targets. I come back up to the bench line before others and a range EMPLOYEE (paid to borescope and sightin rifles) has left a loaded rifle pointed down range, bolt open, ammo visible in in the mag ready to go. Good Lord! I stood by the rifle till he walked back up and kept him from picking it up or touching it till everybody got back to the line.

2. I'm shooting my muzzloader. It does take some time to reload. So, I'm standing there just removing my ramrod from seating my lead ball (gun vertical) and people just start walking down range. I yell "The range is NOT Cold. I have a loaded rifle here!" Range office had seen me and said he thought I was cleaning it. No, it was loaded and just need a cap. I chewed his butt out for 1. Not calling "Cease fire" loud enough I could hear it I was only 15 feet away. 2. Not making sure everybody heard it. 3. Calling the range cold when I was sill handling my rifle, which by the way was loaded but just not capped.

It's a matter of time before somebody gets shot there. Nice, well layed out range. Great facilities But just plain ignorant owners. I try to go when nobody else is around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've told this story before, but I'll repeat it here...

Used to belong to Tri County Gun Club range in our area. Probably the largest range/club in Oregon ... and would go out and try to get some shooting in when I had time. Emphasis on "try" ... seems like every yahoo that would show up would just call a cease fire so he could set up targets regardless of what was going on or who was already there, etc.... there were days when I couldn't shoot 20 rounds in a couple hours of being on the range. Working up loads became impossible...

Then, there were the a-holes who were always handling guns when there was a cold range, in spite of the big yellow signs at every station regarding this practice. The third time it happened in a single session I yelled down to the "guest" to get his head out of his dark place... and promptly got my ass chewed by his sponsor for using derogatory language, even though it was his responsibility to keep his guest aware of the rules of the range.... on top of it, the range officers wouldn't do a darned thing about it...

The last straw - I finally found a few days to get to the range during the week fairly early so I get over there and set up. I'm the only one on the range of about 25 benches, so I set up on the left end about 3 from the end so there is room for others to set up without being in each others' way. So, what happens? A dufus with an AR shows up and sets up on the bench on my left and he has his 10 year old son with him. I try to show him I am irritated without calling him the asshat I think he is being, but I get back to trying to shoot. Of course, he is blasting away with his AR, not hitting a thing but the berm behind the targets and throwing brass all over me.... I'm doing a pretty slow but steady burn by this time. So, I get behind my scope and try to shoot a group and just as I'm putting pressure on the trigger of my 22-250 I notice movement in my scope... I quickly look up and this turd's 10 year old son has run in front of my bench to retrieve some of dad's brass while I'm squeezing the trigger. My crosshairs were right on the center of his head when I let off.. Well, I promptly stopped, stood up and chewed dad out with every choice word I could think of. It was the last time I wasted my time going to that range and I dropped my membership.

Now I just go out on BLM a few miles from my house and set up, as do many others as I can attest to from the amount of shooting we hear every time we are out there.... much simpler, fewer rules, and plenty of time to accomplish what we are trying to get done...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/12/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
BSA1917HUNT ,

What was the thread on testing your accuracy ?
Been a while and i've forgot - i'll give it a go when i get a chance .

Also shot my cz 452 style but from my shooting house which has basically a benchrest built in it - comfy office chair .
Had the Style , 452 American 17hmr & 22mag all threaded about a month ago . LIKE !
Shot the ammo the Style loves - wolf match/target 40gr. subsonic , that i run through a Waltz Die that swages and creates a hollow point however big you want the hollow point .
One ragged hole at 50 yards . .
Haven't shot the rifle in a while - been taking the cz 455 suppressed - but love the Style - more accurate with any bullet .
OK just out some gun talk .

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Sheister ,
It just shows what kind of people can and do go to gunranges . Let your kid get in front of a rifle being fired - yeah - ...

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Been to this place Bullets & Bones looked up the hours just so i would know .

Scroll down a bit [link below] to the shooters sitting at the benches this is the 300 yard side . You have to sit at the 100/200 yard pavillion to shoot at 100-200 yards , 300 yard pavillion cannot shoot at anything but 300 yard target berm .
First/closest shooter AR red dot no rest of any type .
Young lad - no scope off elbows no rest/bipod.
Third older fellow - looks like a pillow rolled up - no rear rest .
fourth guy - rifle sitting on top of something white - not any kind of rest i've ever seen - no rear bag .
Woman using binos offhand - what could she possibly see ?
Prone guy w/manbun - AR that's all i can see .

When i've went there before - the 300 yard side will be empty but as soon as i go over there a few people decided to join me . smile it's crazy .

https://bulletsandbonesdfs.com/

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.