Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I’m curious how many hung with a Remington Sendero.
Post whatever you want if you do, thought it would be cool
To see who hunt’s with one, what kind of application do you use it for and maybe a picture of your rifle.

Last edited by Carolina Shooter; 01/16/20.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two Senderos.One is a 7STW,one is a 7mag.I also have a 30-06 with a 28" heavy Pac-Nor barrel that is like the Sendero.Also a couple of the Remington Long Range rifles.One was a 30-06 rebored to a 338-06 and one is a Stainless 7mag.I don't have a picture of the Stainless.The Long Range models are kinda like the SPS Remington rifles where the Sendero is going to be like the BDL Remingtons.They all seem to shoot good.I hunt from a blind so weight is not a factor.The heavy barrels really help to keep you steady and the felt recoil is tamed down a bit too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my hunting buddies and I have harvested a lot of game with senderos in various calibers. I am figuring out how to post the pics. these include a lot of coues whitetail, and elk; a 223" mule deer. 86" antelope, 178" rocky mountain bighorn ….. more

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i had a first gen for about 10 yrs, then sold it here on the fire. was a great shooter. my only problem was that it was balanced poorly, very nose heavy. no matter how much i liked it on the range, i didnt like toting it anywhere when i was out in the woods. even my 700P, which is same contour and barrel length, is balanced better than that sendero was.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Bell and Carlson M40 stocks on the Long Range better than the HS Precision stocks on the Sendero.The laminated stock on my 7STW Sendero was a special run from 1997.It has a good balance.

Last edited by baldhunter; 01/17/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought one about a year after they first came on the market. Was a 300winmag that I used as my beanfield rifle for whitetails. It shot 180gr factory Winchester ballistic Silvertips extremely well. I killed several deer literally across some of my soybean fields but I grew tired of the length and weight, so I sold it. I go out west every year for elk but never seriously considered taking it due to weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always wanted one in .264 mag

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a 7mm ultra mag, a 26 Nosler that was a 7 mag, and a 700 5R in 300 Win mag that is like a Sendero. All shoot under an inch. They aren’t walk about rifles, but are great in stands.

Last edited by hanco; 01/17/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I understand that Senderos in 25-06 are pretty popular in TX for deer hunting

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Always wanted one in 300 win mag.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remington Sendero in 264 Win Mag with Huskemaw scope.[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Too heavy for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hunted with one for many years... always killed what I shot at with it.. I live in TN but have taken it mule deer hunting twice and hunting for antelope as well... Heavy, yes... but very, very accurate and it is one of the most accurate guns I own... Hence why I use it as much as I do

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You know, one of the points I’ve seen lately that have me thinking differently, that they are not too much,
They are only one pound heavier than an accumark.

Would you carry a weatherby accumark?

I’ve been looking hard at Senderos for years,
Finally pulled the trigger. Thing is, it’s coming to me in pieces!
Laughing.

Thinking hard about having it cerakoted.

I’ll post pics when it’s done!

Loving these posts though!!

Proverbs

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i dont think the weight bothered me as much as the length and poor balance. theyre also mostly archaic now bc theyre all twisted slow, except the 300 mag.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
To see who hunt’s with one, what kind of application do you use it for and maybe a picture of your rifle.

I had an early one, in 7mm RM. Crazy accurate, shot my first antelope with it. Wish I still owned it. Until I discovered the LTR/Compact Tactical configuration, it was my "ideal" for any pondered rifle build. The short barreled versions are just handier.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter

I had an early one, in 7mm RM. Crazy accurate, shot my first antelope with it. Wish I still owned it. Until I discovered the LTR/Compact Tactical configuration, it was my "ideal" for any pondered rifle build. The short barreled versions are just handier.....

Kaiser Norton

thats where i ended up ... with an XCR 20” 308. much handier and shoots as well or better

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not so much lately but there was a time.........

I've owned Senderos in 264 Win Mag, 7mag, 7 STW, 300 Win Mag(2), 300 RUM (Actually SF2 (2)) and 338 Remington Ultra Mag.

Here are two.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Sendero's,

338 RUM: top
7mm STW: Bottom

This one started life as a 7mm Mag. It was punched to 7mm STW before I bought it pre-enjoyed. I did not know that when I bought it as it was marked 7mag. IIRC this was in the mid 1990's and I had not been reloading a long time. I loaded up some 7mag rounds and when I fired one the spent brass looked like it had a flower blooming from the case. It took me a bit to figure out that it had been punched to 7STW. Most of the game I shot with this one were prior to 2004 and no pix. I'm not a long range shooter but did nail a white-tail doe at a lasered range of 590 yds. in 2000. Shot a number of Sika stags and hogs to boot.

I purchased the 338 RUM and my first 300 RUM at the same time. I ended up selling the 300 RUM. Shortly after I purchased the 338 RUM I sent it to Hill Country Rifle for their accurizing package, pillar bedding and a Vais Brake. With the brake it is a pussy-cat.

Taken it on two elk hunts. No elk, but did take a mule deer in Montana.

Here are three loads.....

My go to load in the 338 RUM for years were the 200 Gr. Ballistic Tips @+/- 3,150 FPS MV. With the Leupold 4.5 x 14 with the Boone and Crockett reticle zero's at 200 yds., the sub-tensions are dead on at 300 and 400 yds.

IIRC the doe in the pix below was taken @ 300yds and the Aoudad ewe @ close to 400 yds. IIRC. I've switched to the 200 gr. Accubonds as my go to bullet in this rifle.

+/- 270 yds to target (under dot)

Where I hunt, due to the nature of the terrain, if a critter is not DRT and one does not find a blood trail within 10' of the POI, usually the critter is lost. Nice thing about shooting stuff with the RUM is, most stuff is DRT and if not, the two leaky holes provide a blood trail a blind man could follow. I like that.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Great post Geedubya! Thanks for sharing man.
Here in the land of the pines and overgrown clearcuts,
You have to have a blood trail!!

Great looking guns!!

Proverbs

W
W
I have 2 first generations in .300 rum and .300 win . I hunt whitetail deer in large pastures with them. They shoot great but the Rum is getting close to needing a new bbl .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I also love the 338RUM. My preferred death ray. My regular 700 bdl ss went through a barrel and got a new bartlein 3b, blueprinted and trued action, trigger tech trigger. I run the 210 swift sciroccos and velocities I wont repeat here. When something needs to die, the "dragon slayer" gets the nod.

Salmonhead
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I hear ya Bo!! Little more rifle than I. An make use of around here, but I did give it a run a few years back.
Bought a .338 win mag from Magmarc, it was a shooter. Shot the biggest buck of my life with that gun.
What a hole Bo!!!? I really wish I had kept it, just cause it was such a bad ass rig.

Would love to give the RUM a go!!

One I’m assembling is gonna be a 300 Winchester.

I’ll post some pics as soon as I get her back from the gun smith.

Proverbs

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
i saw a 700 Sendero in 338WIN many years ago, only one I have ever encountered. I saw a 300WIN a couple of days ago, but didnt look at the price tag

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a short action version ( rem 700 varmint synthetic in 22-250). Shot well (0.6 moa). Great woodchuck gun, just don't do that much of it now... sold it.

In a related comment, Howa makes a "semi-heavy" barreled version on their well-made, well-designed model 1500 action . It intrigues me. I like a slight muzzle heavy rifle. Hangs nicely in offhand shooting.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.