Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have a SP1 that I bought in the early 80s. I want to get an extra upper for it that I can scope (I have a carry handle scope mount and don't care for it). Looking to go 18 or 20 inch. Will use for plinking, varmints and maybe some deer. More accurate is always better than less, but I won't be entering any long range matches. I have home/property defense covered with a 16" piston operated, aimpoint, quad rail, etc. Looking for just screwing around. Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aero Precision has complete uppers with Ballistic Advantage barrels. I have several Aero uppers and 2 Ballistic Advantage barrels. BA makes nitride barrels and stainless steel barrels nothing chrome lined if that is what you are looking for. There are many upper makers, Armalite, DelTon, PSA are BCM just to name a few. I think Aero and Ballistic Advantage give you the best bang for your buck. Not too pricey but nicely accurate.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The White Oak Armory uppers are a decent value for what you get...............& it will be accurate.

MM

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys. I'll check them all out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My SP1 has the large hole at the front pin. It uses the two-piece front pin that screws together.

If yours does too, that will narrow things down real fast. I don't even know if anyone is selling stripped 'large hole' uppers.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are adaptor pins for the large hole lower to mate up with a small hole upper, but they don't inspire confidence (have one).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or one of these might work.

offset pin

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
^^ yeah, that's what mine looks like.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Another vote here for White Oak. I've probably had ten of their barrels and they have all been hammers. With a decent handload they shoot into 1/2" with ease. 1/4" is totally possible.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
been there done that... I would keep the sp1 as is and buy a new rifle, they are so cheap these days, just get one of the PSA guns with an fn barrel.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Tim_K
Another vote here for White Oak. I've probably had ten of their barrels and they have all been hammers. With a decent handload they shoot into 1/2" with ease. 1/4" is totally possible.

Offhand, open sights with M193?

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
been there done that... I would keep the sp1 as is and buy a new rifle, they are so cheap these days, just get one of the PSA guns with an fn barrel.

Been considering that as well. How is the accuracy of the PSA, typically?

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
There are adaptor pins for the large hole lower to mate up with a small hole upper, but they don't inspire confidence (have one).

Knew that I would need an offset pin, didn't know that they might be problematic. Bummer.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by ScottBrad

Funny man. Prone, bipod, rear bag, 15X scope, handload worked up for that specific rifle. Typically, 77SMKs over 24g of Varget has shot into 1/2” on them all.

I don’t think I could put five shots into a jumbo paper plate at 100 offhand!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Funny man. Prone, bipod, rear bag, 15X scope, handload worked up for that specific rifle. Typically, 77SMKs over 24g of Varget has shot into 1/2” on them all.

Then it interests me not, but thanks.

I have bolt guns for that, I need working machines for the other with common ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I have bolt guns for that, I need working machines for the other with common ammo.

You run ball in the bolt guns then?

Have you found ball thats sub MOA? Ever?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by rost495

You run ball in the bolt guns then?

Have you found ball thats sub MOA? Ever?

Did I say that I did?

I need a battle type rifles to do battle type sheit with battle type ammo. I haven't been in a Revolution or zombie outbreak yet, but I'm guessing time to handload more ammo will be limited. YMMV.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sure they do..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by acy
I have a SP1 that I bought in the early 80s. I want to get an extra upper for it that I can scope (I have a carry handle scope mount and don't care for it). Looking to go 18 or 20 inch. Will use for plinking, varmints and maybe some deer. More accurate is always better than less, but I won't be entering any long range matches. I have home/property defense covered with a 16" piston operated, aimpoint, quad rail, etc. Looking for just screwing around. Any suggestions?

Good question. I look forward to seeing the answers you get. I know some guys around here use green mountain barrels, some use ballistic advantage and some use a local company called bison armory. I'm half tempted to try them out, as they are local and offer a great accuracy guarantee. From what I hear, they make some pretty accurate upper assemblies... I'm not going to guarantee you get "1/2" or better (1/4" ha ha, rolling here), but they do have a 1 moa guarantee if you use good ammo... Hell, I wouldn't even guarantee my rifles to shoot "1/2" and I know they shoot better than most here. Just sayin... wink I'd also bet money that they shoot better than the above mentioned "1/2" shooter. Truth... Oh wait, FNG probably talking 3 shot groups. Ok, I understand now... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by acy
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Knew that I would need an offset pin, didn't know that they might be problematic. Bummer.

I only used mine a short while with the offset pin. There was no problem at all.

It was just a little OCD kicking in on my part. Every time I'd look at it, it just annoyed me. And not as convenient to unpin as the modern push-pin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.