Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hello Winchester experts:

I have come across a stock which I believe was refinished, while the seller is saying he believes the finish is factory original.

The color is right, and there is no obvious sanding, but there is a small amount (like 2-3 bits) of tiny grit in the finish on each side of the butt, and there are shallow dents that look lightly filled. The inlet wood beneath the trigger guard and mag cover has an obvious coat... are these "tells" for refinish of a 1950 gun?

Please don't ask for pics as hi-rez I find them impossible to load here.

GC

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 01/13/20.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it retains the original 1950’s buttplate, the wood should be slightly proud. If not, and no scratches, then I lean refinish. Pictures tell 1000 words, just sayin...

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, a thread like this does no good without pics, and good pics to boot. Good luck bud.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Grouse Chaser, I feel for you trying to post pics with your posts here. While I may have an accurate opinion on refinishing there must be quality pics. I can’t do it either and have tried my best. I have listened to many others complain of this problem and am relieved to know that it’s not just me. Go to the Remington Society forum and see how easy it is..

Here’s hoping someone with influence will recognize that a problem exists.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tomygun1
Grouse Chaser, I feel for you trying to post pics with your posts here. While I may have an accurate opinion on refinishing there must be quality pics. I can’t do it either and have tried my best. I have listened to many others complain of this problem and am relieved to know that it’s not just me. Go to the Remington Society forum and see how easy it is..

Here’s hoping someone with influence will recognize that a problem exists.

A problem doesn't exist if you use something like IMGUR. Its free for fu cks sake too. How much easier can that be?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Seems like you have figured it out but not me and many others. I’m an old guy. If people like me haven’t figured it out then it seems a problem exists.
🤠

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.