Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Really?

I wonder how Mecum and Barrett Jackson stay afloat knowing there's not any old guys around....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm 62, and a complete sellout to light weight, magazine capacity, and striker fire mechanism.

I think if a guy wants the original Python he should get one

I think it's cool that Colt has stepped up and started something new

Last edited by johnw; 01/17/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I wish Colt would have made a New Python, not a completely different revolver with a vented rib barrel and stuck the Python name on it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good luck and congrats to all the guys that bought new ones, I hope they run good for you.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Im a shooter, not a collector, so the new Python, is not much different than the old Python. As a shooter, the Python is not even in the same league as a good S&W pre-lock revolver. Ive pulled on many lower grade revolvers, ie: Rossi and Taurus that have every bit as good double action as a damned Python. I do wish I had bought half a dozen thru the years to help accommodate the collectors, could have made a pretty penny!

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good luck and congrats to all the guys that bought new ones, I hope they run good for you.

Agreed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have to finish reading those manuals RJM sent me, are 1955 pre-25 45 ACP and a pre-27 357 mag N frames pre lock revolvers? they both have five screws if that helps.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have to finish reading those manuals RJM sent me, are 1955 pre-25 45 ACP and a pre-27 357 mag N frames pre lock revolvers? they both have five screws if that helps.

I think they started putting the locks on in the 1990s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by deflave
Hickock's videos are so bad, he has to tell you what happens at the beginning.

Because NOBODY makes it through one.

LOL.

They are youtube torture. If he's shooting something I'm really interested in, I'll run them with the sound off and cursor ahead until I think he's at a point that interests me. I wish someone he knows could convince him that no review should take more than 5-7 minutes. Tell what it is, compare it to something similar if you must, then shoot the fuggin thing and be done with it.

I agree with you but it seems that a lot of "unboxing" videos are longer than that.

A sure indicator of mental illness if I ever saw one. Assuming they ever had a need for one, some these retards would do an unboxing video of a condom. By the time they were done , they would forget why they purchased it in the first place.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Ten Fo, Thanks, we've got that whupped by a long shot, that said, and I realize this is a Colt thread, those old S&W's of mine are indeed tight and smooth, not saying much on my part, but they both shot every load I've put in them better than I have the talent to realize.

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Ten Fo, Thanks, we've got that whupped by a long shot, that said, and I realize this is a Colt thread, those old S&W's of mine are indeed tight and smooth, not saying much on my part, but they both shot every load I've put in them better than I have the talent to realize.

I've got more S&W revolvers than Colts.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Gen 1 Python vs Gen 2 is like comparing a vintage Corvette vs a 2020 model. If you want performance and durability... Get a 2020 model, if you a piece of art that is beautiful and great attention to detail but takes some extra maintenance at some point... Get an original.

Collectors want the history and work of art... Shooters want durability and bulletproof. Both have their place, hopefully the new one is going to be rock solid.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jpterry
Gen 1 Python vs Gen 2 is like comparing a vintage Corvette vs a 2020 model. If you want performance and durability... Get a 2020 model, if you a piece of art that is beautiful and great attention to detail but takes some extra maintenance at some point... Get an original.

Collectors want the history and work of art... Shooters want durability and bulletproof. Both have their place, hopefully the new one is going to be rock solid.

BS. If you are going to market a Python then fricken produce a Python. Don't make a glorified Trooper and dress it up like a Python.
Firearms are not cars. Everyone wants and expects cars to change every year. Firearms people are traditionalist, winchester made a non M70 yet marketed it as a M70 and they never recovered. Browning wanted to make a less expensive Superposed and they did but, they didn't call it a Superposed, Browning called it the Citori not only did no one care, they loved it.

Colt forgot Winchester's mistake and they repeated it

Last edited by jwp475; 01/17/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Citori.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Citori.

👍💯

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think Colt was trying to produce what people were clamoring for in the Python but at a price people would actually buy one for. There was no way to produce the original hand fitted version and keep it affordable. They used modern CNC machines to make parts with close tolerances and take out the hand fitting. From what I have heard the frame is slightly modified to strengthen it and make it more able to withstand a steady diet of full house magnum loads.

There are a lot of guns that priced themselves out of existence that they claim would be too costly to produce today. I would love to see what the CNCs could do with the Winchester 88 (one of the few guns that was actually improved in 1964) and the Savage 99 and maybe the Sako Finnwolf. Would they be the same as the original? No but if they could make them at an affordable price wouldn’t we be all the better for it?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Im a shooter, not a collector, so the new Python, is not much different than the old Python. As a shooter, the Python is not even in the same league as a good S&W pre-lock revolver. Ive pulled on many lower grade revolvers, ie: Rossi and Taurus that have every bit as good double action as a damned Python. I do wish I had bought half a dozen thru the years to help accommodate the collectors, could have made a pretty penny!

the new smith and wessons are not any better than a damn taurus or rossi, actually the taurus might be a better gun now than the current smith and wesson revolvers. I have had 2 44 magnums and 2 22LR go back to the factory and in one case they said they could not fix it. Current SW revolvers look pretty, cost a lot and suck as far as I am concerned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by JefeMojado

the new smith and wessons are not any better than a damn taurus or rossi, actually the taurus might be a better gun now than the current smith and wesson revolvers. I have had 2 44 magnums and 2 22LR go back to the factory and in one case they said they could not fix it. Current SW revolvers look pretty, cost a lot and suck as far as I am concerned.
I don't like the look of them either. The only really "new" S&W I've got is the Governor and it's fine. I realize it's not everybody's cup of tea though. I've got a 629 Mountain Gun with the "safety". I'd rather it not had the safety, but it has not caused any problems and is unaltered. It is several years old though and doesn't have the look of the really new ones. Anything pre-safety is great.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
One thing that a lot of testers (and shooters) seem to overlook, primarily with revolvers, is dimensions and fit.

What do the throats slug, are they uniform, is there constriction at the barrel threads, is the front sight perpendicular to the frame, etc.

IThere's a lot more cosmetic that gets folks off and that's way above a lot of other function issues for many.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..anyone else notice a price crash with the older Pythons since the announcement of the new gun...

Was just doing some checking on GB and saw a mint 6" that just sold a few days ago for $2100... An UNFIRED 8" $2300.... These would have been in the $3K range a few months ago...

Was in a shop in Ct. la couple of weeks ago and saw a very clean 6" for only $2100....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.