Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

We are searching for a plot of hunting land with or without a present cabin or structure as we will build our own or use a trailer until we do. Prefer to be very near/beside Federal, State or Crown/Provincial land. Around the Great Lakes.

Any suggestions?
Is it better to buy a large tract or a small one beside gov't land?
We like Michigan and wonder if it's better in the northern part or the thumb?
We also like Ontario but is either very populated or rather scrubby the farther north you go and prices are higher. (not keen on the lawmakers there either)
We don"t know much about upper state NY, NH?
Would welcome any suggestions or links to land sales or even best sales sites or best realtors?
Thank you for any and all suggestions?

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The thumb has excellent hunting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What are you planning on hunting?
Not many moose in Minnesota.
Wisconsin has lots of deer.
Do some research.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to beat the Cadillac Michigan area. Surrounded by state and federal land. In rifle zone. 2 large lakes at your disposal. Had a great Uncle the lived across the street from the Manistee National Forest up there. When I was a kid his house would be packed to the rafters with family members during rifle season. People and kids sleeping on couches the floor haha. Also Cadillac has decent medical care if you need it and shopping if you need to go to town. Lots of fond memories up there.

Last edited by k20350; 01/17/20.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
If you plan on buying land in NY, expect to PAY

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by k20350
Hard to beat the Cadillac Michigan area. Surrounded by state and federal land. In rifle zone. 2 large lakes at your disposal. Had a great Uncle the lived across the street from the Manistee National Forest up there. When I was a kid his house would be packed to the rafters with family members during rifle season. People and kids sleeping on couches the floor haha. Also Cadillac has decent medical care if you need it and shopping if you need to go to town. Lots of fond memories up there.

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the tip of the thumb has a lot of deer it won't meet your criteria. Other than one state game area the rest of it is expensive private land. Plus the added bonus of frekin windmill farms. Good luck securing access to private property.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
by no means am I an expert on this but I was really surprised at how affordable large remote tracts of land are in the U.P. 20 miles south of Sault Ste Marie. Back in August I picked up a local real estate guide around the area we were in called Pickford.

I saw one tract of land, around 100 acres with riverfront access for $44K. Now I think the description said you needed 4wd to get to it, but still....

that wasn't the exception, there were several choices like that.

I love Northern Michigan. If I ever hit the lottery, thats my new home.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/17/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KFWA
by no means am I an expert on this but I was really surprised at how affordable large remote tracts of land are in the U.P. 20 miles south of Sault Ste Marie. Back in August I picked up a local real estate guide around the area we were in called Pickford.

I saw one tract of land, around 100 acres with riverfront access for $44K. Now I think the description said you needed 4wd to get to it, but still....

Also everyone will hate you and hunt your land the 50 weeks you're not there.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

That's lake effect snow country... wink

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by deflave

Also everyone will hate you and hunt your land the 50 weeks you're not there.
+1 Your cabin may also turn into the local party spot.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
so is the area just west Of Cadillac! alot of snow in the winter! good deer hunting & Bear, but your looking at 14-15 years of point to draw a Tag, but theres lots of Bears! Der are on a Decline, I think to the Bears and the Coyotes getting the fawns! Lands not Cheap, but lots of Nat. forest to Hunt. U P land is cheaper!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

It is also severely polluted from copper mining.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the southern part of the U.P. of Michigan if for no other reason than they start their rifle season on November 15 every year unlike Wisconsin where we get the week of Thanksgiving and end up hunting post rut bucks that are moving less. Guys are leaving northern Wisconsin big woods for easier agricultural hunting in the southern 2/3 of the state if they can find a place to hunt. The SW part of the state has milder winters for less winter kill and fewer predators, not counting Roundoak, and my two boys do real well hunting there on their 40 acres. At one point dad had 180 acres in NE WI. and we had the fun of paying the taxes, but the neighbors hunted the heck out of it. If you want a cheap big woods hunt, there is no reason to buy anything because you can wilderness camp with a camping trailer anywhere in the Nicolet-Chequamegon National Forest and there is a bunch of it in northern WI.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just for reference, hunting land in central MN that is in the transition between the big woods to the NE and the agriculture to the SW sells for around $2K per acre. Note that this area has A LOT of deer and typically other hunting opportunities as well (waterfowl, grouse, pheasants, bear, turkeys).

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MM879

Nah, that's the Keweenaw Peninsula way to the west. South of the Soo never had any mining, just lumbering.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Had ta be something up with it, 44k for 100 acres.
Wouldn't that have to be diviluged at some point during the deal?
Disclosure type of stuff like ground water/aquifer stuff?
Is their alot of land in that area that has this issue being sold basically dirt cheap for this reason of copper mining pollution.

Wonder how many out of state people versus residents buy land up their like this cause the locals are in the know and advoid it.

Are the sellers doing bait and switch type of schit or are they forthcoming about it or legally made to be forthcoming about it.

Sounds like owners back in the day sold the mineral rights and now that its played out they are willing to get rid of tracts cheap.
What type of mining was done would be interesting also.
Did the companies have to do land reclamation to the tracts?
How long ago was the mining?
Now that it is possibly reforrested after x amount of time it is ready to sell?

44k for 100 acres is an incredible price.

Paul Harvey rest of the story probably explains why.

Last edited by renegade50; 01/17/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Nah, that's the Keweenaw Peninsula way to the west. South of the Soo never had any mining, just lumbering.

Weren't they considering doing some surface mining over by Rudyard a few years ago?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by renegade50

Had ta be something up with it, 44k for 100 acres.
Wouldn't that have to be diviluged at some point during the deal?
Disclosure type of stuff like ground water/aquifer stuff?
Is their alot of land in that area that has this issue being sold basically dirt cheap for this reason of copper mining pollution.

Wonder how many out of state people versus residents buy land up their like this cause the locals are in the know and advoid it.

Are the sellers doing bait and switch type of schit or are they forthcoming about it or legally made to be forthcoming about it.

Sounds like owners back in the day sold the mineral rights and now that its played out they are willing to get rid of tracts cheap.
What type of mining was done would be interesting also.
Did the companies have to do land reclamation to the tracts?
How long ago was the mining?
Now that it is possibly reforrested after x amount of time it is ready to sell?

44k for 100 acres is an incredible price.

Paul Harvey rest of the story probably explains why.

That is a 1980's price for that land...

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Deer mostly.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looks like my other reply didn't post? Will have to retype it in a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.