Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is anyone making a factory .17 Remington anymore?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think CZ does....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Best that I can tell is CZ makes the 527 in the .17 Hornet.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, I can't find the .17 Remington on their site even though it is listed in their filters. Might be "build" time. Or contender barrel time.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Look on Gunbroker or Gunsinternational for a .17 Rem.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
BUILD! BUILD! BUILD! BUILD!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Flave..I dunno if you've been keeping up..but I know you like the .17 for fur...

I got one and shot a bunch of critters with it...the MOST fur friendly rifle Ive ever used.

WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME ABOUT IT EARLIER?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Greetings, you ol' enabler, you. smile Yes. I ordered a 700 VS in .223 this morning. Before I order a .17 barrel, I'll shoot the .223 a bit to see if I like that stock or if I want to return to the LVSF stock, thus which barrel contour I want, varmint vs factory magnum. Years back I had one built with a 24" #8 contour. That was too heavy .. but you never know 'til you try.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe

Flave..I dunno if you've been keeping up..but I know you like the .17 for fur...

I got one and shot a bunch of critters with it...the MOST fur friendly rifle Ive ever used.

I like what you did with that one ingwe. Very nice looking setup.
I imagine you listed it and of course I've forgotten, but what load did you decide on?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Buds lists the CZ527 Varmint on their website in 17 Remington. Buds item #3348, $741 retail

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K22

I like what you did with that one ingwe. Very nice looking setup.
I imagine you listed it and of course I've forgotten, but what load did you decide on?

I used a light load with a 20 grain Vmax of 18.4 gr. of IMR4198..going about 3650 fps. I figured that might stay in a target as small as a grey fox....and it did.
Were I to hunt strictly coyotes with it up here in Montana I.d probably go with the 25 Gr. Vmax at about 4,000....I just loaded some of them up for an upcoming javelina hunt.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I can see how that load works on Greys, it's close to the 17 Hornet setup. I'm thinking the 25gr. Vmax will disappoint you. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Two very nice 700 BDL .17 Rem have been listed and sold on accurateshooter in the past week. Very nice rifles, both sold for $800 or less.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm building. I ordered a 700 VS in .223 a few days ago. I haven't messed with the current VS stocks. Had some VSSFs in the past. They were a bit wide and one had palm swells I didn't like. I'll shoot this gun as a .223 for a bit to evaluate that factory stock. From there, I'll decide if I'm going to keep it and order a varmint contour barrel or if I'm going to use the LVSF stock and order a factory magnum contour barrel. Shooting it as a .223 will give me a chance to use up some pointy .22 hornet bullets which will do fine in the 1-12" twist but don't seem to survive the AR's 1-8" twist. Checks off a lot of agenda items for me.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does a 17 Rem need a varmint contour barrel if shooting in field varmint shoots.. like ground squirrels?

I was thinking of ordering one from ER Shaw...it would go on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action in 223...

and what kind of barrel length would one need to get the most out of the cartridge.. could one get by with a 20 or 22, and not give up much, or would one need to consider a 24 inch barrel instead?

I am leaning toward a heavy magnum contour, like you'd find on a 458.. except its smaller contour than a varmint rifle so I find it more enjoyable carrying it afield...have a couple of rifles in smaller calibers, using that heavy magnum contour..

my favorite being a 28 inch barrel on a Model 70 for a 22.250 chambering...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If I was going to use a 17 Rem for colony shooting something along the barrel weight of the Kimber Varmint would be ideal to me. A 24 or 26 barrel would be my chosen length. ER Shaw would be a good choice, but you may want consider Green Mountain Barrels also. They are the barrel maker who makes the barrels for the Fieldcraft rifles.
Me personally I would lean very heavily towards Lilja for a 17 Rem or 20 caliber barrel. 22 caliber on up I would chose the one with the quickest turn around time. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
Does a 17 Rem need a varmint contour barrel if shooting in field varmint shoots.. like ground squirrels?

I was thinking of ordering one from ER Shaw...it would go on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action in 223...

and what kind of barrel length would one need to get the most out of the cartridge.. could one get by with a 20 or 22, and not give up much, or would one need to consider a 24 inch barrel instead?

I am leaning toward a heavy magnum contour, like you'd find on a 458.. except its smaller contour than a varmint rifle so I find it more enjoyable carrying it afield...have a couple of rifles in smaller calibers, using that heavy magnum contour..

my favorite being a 28 inch barrel on a Model 70 for a 22.250 chambering...

John I'd say you are barking up the right tree..I'm already biased with my .17 but Id say the mag contour barrel, fluted and 22 inches long is just about ideal. Because of the speed even with light loads the gun is gonna heat up FAST so I'd flute it for sure....and even then, pace yourself...Im anxious to see how long the barrel lasts, though I dont plan on using mine for colony varmints, just predators.
I've got the same contour/fluted thing in a .222 for colony varmints and unless the action is REALLY fast...you can shoot for a LONG time without overheating that one.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm glad you brought that up ingwe. 22" is what mine are and that is as long as I like.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K22
I'm glad you brought that up ingwe. 22" is what mine are and that is as long as I like.

Yeah..Im pretty sure it'll burn all the powder in that little case, and the shorter length like 22"is nice to handle in and out of a vehicle or box stand..

On the killing fields...

Last edited by ingwe; 01/22/20.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I did! You were still hung up on the .204 or some other POS!

.17 Rem is the greatest predator/varmint round ever.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K22
I can see how that load works on Greys, it's close to the 17 Hornet setup. I'm thinking the 25gr. Vmax will disappoint you. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I like the 20 and 25 V-max for fox.

Prefer the HP Bergers or Hornady's but the V-Max does well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Greetings, you ol' enabler, you. smile Yes. I ordered a 700 VS in .223 this morning. Before I order a .17 barrel, I'll shoot the .223 a bit to see if I like that stock or if I want to return to the LVSF stock, thus which barrel contour I want, varmint vs factory magnum. Years back I had one built with a 24" #8 contour. That was too heavy .. but you never know 'til you try.

Tom

The mag contour (LVSF) is perfection. I wouldn't deviate from that.

I'd sell the LVSF stock and get something more better. Like a Sako Hunter style.

Whoooo, doggy. That would be a great setup.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Two very nice 700 BDL .17 Rem have been listed and sold on accurateshooter in the past week. Very nice rifles, both sold for $800 or less.

Every .17 Rem BDL I've been around shot lights out. Including the J-Locks.

But I just couldn't beat on something as beautiful as the BDL. It pained me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K22

Yeah..Im pretty sure it'll burn all the powder in that little case, and the shorter length like 22"is nice to handle in and out of a vehicle or box stand..

On the killing fields...

I agree with the 22".

The .17 shines due to its speed and nonexistent recoil.

I wouldn't want to short change it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
17 Remington vs 17-223. What say you, Sir deflave?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The mag contour (LVSF) is perfection. I wouldn't deviate from that.

I'd sell the LVSF stock and get something more better. Like a Sako Hunter style.

Whoooo, doggy. That would be a great setup.

How's this? LVSF in a B&C Alaskan....

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Well, it's not as svelt as this one............

but it'll do. whistle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like all the 17s from air gun on up. I might be tempted to get a Broughton or Lothar Walther barrel as both are touted as outlasting other barrels. Nothing wrong with Shilen, Lilja, Green Mountain, Douglas or Shaw. I like a 24" barrel as the 17 is made for speed. If I was doing a shorty I would go 17 Hornet or other medium small 17. 17x223 only if you wanted cheaper brass but the dies would off set this some and I like the longer neck on the Rem. it may aide barrel life.

Here is some good info on the 17s: https://www.6mmbr.com/17wildcats.html The 17 is one cartridge I go exactly with what the load is listed with as minor changes have have a big affect in the small bore. The 17s are so cool it almost begs to get two, one a bench gun and the other a walking rifle. Nothing heavier than the #3-5 range barrel for me. Wish I had stashed a couple SAKO Vixen actions away for another 17 cal. rifle, especially when they came in a LH version.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
How's this? LVSF in a B&C Alaskan...

Approved. smile I did a similar thing dropping an LVSF barreled action into a McMillan short action Hunter's Edge. Unfortunately, it didn't shoot very well. That particular barreled action didn't shoot very well in any stock I tried it in which is one of the reasons I had the barrel removed and replaced with a PacNor .204. I wore the first one of those out, shot the throat out of it, and it's on it's second. I still have the .17 LVSF factory barrel somewhere but I don't plan to reinstall it, I'll go aftermarket. One thing I like about the factory LVSF barrels over aftermarket is the corners of the flutes are rounded slightly ... just a more finished look 'n' feel.

I had 2 other LVSFs. One was a .22-250. I shot the throat out of that one as well. Took a couple years but I got 'er done. It got a Wyatt's long mag box and a Lilja .25 caliber barrel ... .257 Roberts. The other was a .221 Fireball. I didn't wear it out, just got bored with it after a few years and swapped it for the .17 Remington. I also made a couple of "faux -LVSF" rifles over the years by dropping short action CDL-SFs into the LVSF stock. 2 were in .270 WSM and 1 in 7mm-08. Kind of a neat package but for me the WSM cartridges don't feed very well from a short 700 with a staggered magazine and I dunno WTF was up with that 7mm-08. frown

Anyway, I like the looks of that B/A in the B&C stock. Yep yep yep.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K22

but it'll do. whistle

Yeah...but you have to take into account that I'm the original Kimber hater....so........I'll have to let you keep having fun with it, whilst I slum the chubby gun! laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I say fugk a wildcat.

Figuratively.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

How's this? LVSF in a B&C Alaskan....

That is lookin' goood.

Although, I'm a little too snobby to fully endorse a B&C.

Here's my little critter killer nestled into a Compact. I love it so.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Deflave,

What do you use as glass on that one?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22

but it'll do. whistle

Yeah...but you have to take into account that I'm the original Kimber hater....so........I'll have to let you keep having fun with it, whilst I slum the chubby gun! laugh

And I thought for sure that this sleek southern beauty would turn your head.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Deflave,

What do you use as glass on that one?

In that pic it's wearing a 3-10X Weaver Grand Slam.

It's also worn a straight 6X42.

Today it wears a straight 10X Bushnell. I found that to be a great happy medium for everything. If it was just a calling rifle I'd have left the 6X42 Leupold.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K22

That is a great rifle you built.

Maybe next time move the beer fetcher from the background?

I mean, class it up a little. This IS the internet.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22

That is a great rifle you built.

Maybe next time move the beer fetcher from the background?

I mean, class it up a little. This IS the internet.

grin

But flave, it's an antique.......you know, like ingwe. I thought for sure the sleek southern beauty along with the antique beer fetcher would sway him.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If it was just a calling rifle I'd have left the 6X42 Leupold.

Interesting to hear you say that...when I was doing more straight coyote calling, my fave was a fixed 6X too...

Now Im sold on the .17 Rem too

Great minds....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine wore a T10 for years. Great scope and I still have it, but the damn adjustments get adjusted in the back seat of the truck. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
So it’s wearing a 6x42 I bought from a good friend and Fire member now. Much better pickup gun scope. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I say fugk a wildcat.

Figuratively.

You sure? grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Heads up! Fire member Bart27 has a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Remington he wants to sell.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14475924/4

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 01/24/20.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I used a light load with a 20 grain Vmax of 18.4 gr. of IMR4198..going about 3650 fps. I figured that might stay in a target as small as a grey fox....and it did.
Were I to hunt strictly coyotes with it up here in Montana I.d probably go with the 25 Gr. Vmax at about 4,000....I just loaded some of them up for an upcoming javelina hunt.

A little late to the party but I think you'll be happier with the 25gr Berger for Coyotes. Out of probably 75 shot with the Bergers, I've only had a couple run more than 30 yards. They are also work well on fox without blowing them all to hell. Most have no exit even on fox. To me they are worth the premium price. My load is 24gr 4320 giving me about 3900fps.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bbassi

A little late to the party but I think you'll be happier with the 25gr Berger for Coyotes. Out of probably 75 shot with the Bergers, I've only had a couple run more than 30 yards. They are also work well on fox without blowing them all to hell. Most have no exit even on fox. To me they are worth the premium price. My load is 24gr 4320 giving me about 3900fps.

Excellent suggestion. I run 24.6gr. of 4320 behind a 25gr. Nagel bullet. My standard 25gr. load is 23.9gr. of 8208. Berger, Nagel, Blackhole bullets, Reeds, to name of few excel in anchoring Coyotes/Fox and saving fur like no others. I used to use the 25gr.Hornady hp back in the 70's, but when the 25gr. Berger Match bullet came out that was all I used until they quit making them. Chan Nagels are every bit as good as the Bergers.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Which style of Reeds have you had good luck with K22? I’ve been casually looking for a replacement bullet for the discontinued 25 Hornady HP, and Reeds is fairly local to me. Been thinking about giving them a shot but he lists a bunch of different styles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

but it'll do. whistle

I'm waiting for my Lilja barrel. Going with the modified 84M contour. 1-9 twist. Haven't decided on length. Leaning towards 24.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AB2506

I'm waiting for my Lilja barrel. Going with the modified 84M contour. 1-9 twist. Haven't decided on length. Leaning towards 24.

Ohhhh...dat sounds good!

I dunno about the 24 inch, but it couldnt hurt.

Gonna go me my .17 a test run on javelina in a couple weeks..cant wait!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 24” 17 sure sounds nice when I switch to calling with it versus gunning pigs with an 18” 223. If you’re not hanging a can off of it I kinda like the long snout.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.