Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
What i spoke to the range officers about is keeping the ammo wasters together and away from the precision shooters who might be fine tuning a rifle .
My own comments written in my Lyman reloading log show that - goofs ruin any chance of precision shooting .

Here on the Coast the wind starts picking up around 9:30-10am and calm days are very rare , getting one of those calm day then getting surrounded by ammo wasters sucks .

I think the precision shooters could work together - no way the ammo wasters are going to wait for someone to shoot a group they wouldn't even understand what you're talking about .

A guy here -ammo waster type- - i told him how thick the praire dogs were in Kaycee , WY. - told him i fired 800 rounds in three days and barely made a dent in them . He explained to me how he'd love to take two AK-47's and 10,000 rounds of ammo - how he would mag dump the ammo in one day . I told him there wouldn't be any PD's left if he went there and shot them like that . He asked why the hell i fired one shot at a time - said that sounds boring as hell . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sucks. The range I belong to is mostly quiet this time of year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luckily, last time my son and I went to the range with our bolt guns (a few Saturday's ago), we were shooting from the benches on the left end of the line. Everybody else had AR's of some form and were shooting at 25 to 50 yards and the brass was flying. We were ringing the gongs at our own pace with precision!! LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One-piece benches? That's a terrible ideal. Got a circular saw and a coupla' 2x4s?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've noticed an increase in the number of "mag dumpers" at my range. Even when they slow down their hit percentage on an 18" gong at 50 yards isn't too good. I should bring my snub nosed 38 and beat their results to see if they get the point.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My range is the same way. One piece concrete benches and the mag dumpers seem to come out of the woodwork. My old range had individual benches and it was much better. One day this arsehole shows up with his kids. He leaves the kids in his car while he bangs away his Remington 742. No rest, no nothing. Can't figure out why he can't hit schitt. Keeps turning around and yelling at his kids. They wanted to get out and shoot too. The other guys on the range were obviously getting as annoyed as i was, not so much at the kids as the dad yelling at them constantly. I finally had enough and told him that if he'd brought a .22 for his kids to shoot or something he might not have to yell at them all the time. He just looked at me, packed his crap and left.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I recently went to a public range for the first time in 30 years. Reminded me why I built my own on my last place. AR and AK clip dumpers are obnoxious. When I needed to set up the chronograph, it was out to the Natl Forest.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I remember one time developing a load for my silhouette revolver, I began to set up at the 100 yard line. The range officer came over and rather unpleasantly told me I couldn't shoot a revolver at 100 yards. I asked why not and he told me I couldn't hit the target at 100 yards. Asked him if I shot at 25 yards and showed him the target would he agree to let me shoot at 100.He agreed and I brought him a target with 5 holes you could cover with a quarter.
He let me shoot at 100 after that.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I went to the Bay County Range the second week it was open this is the Range a couple of miles from my hunting lease so very convenient for me . There were holes in the roofs of the 50 & 100 yard ranges , i asked a Range Officer WTH ?? he said it happens everyday . Pistol and 300 yards same same .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was setting up steel silhouette targets at a pistol match. I was in plain sight of the shooting line. A guy starts shooting targets that were between him and me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on what I see frequently at the Fraternal Order of Police public range near Birmingham, there is a lot of missing going on in the deer woods. Even with the range provided rifle rests and fairly nice individual tables, most do well to keep 4" groups at 100 yds. Many do far, far worse. Watched a guy with a Rem 7400 jamo-matic 308 the other day chase the zero around through a full box of ammo. He was working on an 8" 50 yard group, but kept adjusting the scope after every shot. He had no idea where he was hitting after a few shots. I asked if he could use some help getting his rifle sighted in. He gladly accepted. After I tightened the screws on his see-thru scope mounts, I started on a new target and got a decent 1.5" 50 yd three shot group that was very near the bullseye. I asked if he wanted to see where it was hitting at 100. He said "nope" and indicated that he was good to go for hunting now. At least he did thank me. This is pretty typical at this range.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Based on what I see frequently at the Fraternal Order of Police public range near Birmingham, there is a lot of missing going on in the deer woods. Even with the range provided rifle rests and fairly nice individual tables, most do well to keep 4" groups at 100 yds. Many do far, far worse. Watched a guy with a Rem 7400 jamo-matic 308 the other day chase the zero around through a full box of ammo. He was working on an 8" 50 yard group, but kept adjusting the scope after every shot. He had no idea where he was hitting after a few shots. I asked if he could use some help getting his rifle sighted in. He gladly accepted. After I tightened the screws on his see-thru scope mounts, I started on a new target and got a decent 1.5" 50 yd three shot group that was very near the bullseye. I asked if he wanted to see where it was hitting at 100. He said "nope" and indicated that he was good to go for hunting now. At least he did thank me. This is pretty typical at this range.

Ah, the pie plate brigade. Those are the guys who you ask what they shot when they get back to camp. "Heard a shot from your area, what'd you get?" "Me? I didn't shoot. Must've been the neighbors."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Saw a scope mounted 90degrees off......... he had a hell of a time getting on paper.........

I helped him get it sighted in...

Should I have told him that the lefty/righty knob was now the uppy/downy knob?????

And another one FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob, FIRE-turn a knob............

Or the one that couldn't get on paper at 25 yards.................

And then the one that said my chrony was broken............. 'cause the box said velocity was 2450 and the chrony had all different numbers..................

Last edited by muffin; 01/17/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try having someone shoot a .50 cal rifle with a huge brake on the table that is way to close to you with no warning while you have your eye to the scope testing loads. Drew blood on my forehead. He was to the left of me and I could have lost my an eye had it not been for glasses.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I get what everyone is saying about mag-dumpers and other annoying people on the range, but here is the deal:

As long as they aren’t endangering others they are 2nd amendment allies. They are free to shoot how they please. It is more important to welcome others into the community than to drill one hole groups off of a bench. As they spend more time around guns, do their own research and maybe even get training, they will become more proficient, less annoying to others, and finally, they will end up on boards like this complaining about the mag-dumpers, such is the circle of life.

Range rules ostracize shooters. Fudd-only clubs take up valuable space and provide very little useful opportunity to learn the practical application of firearms.

I say live and let live. A kind word solves most problems, and a shaky bench can be solved with a shooting mat and a bipod. Repeated legitimate safety concerns are a different story.

In any case, we can all agree on one thing: the worst people are the ones with muzzle brakes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
There are 3 rifle ranges within 65 miles of here and i've realised i can't do load development and find an accurate load at any of them due too gunrange goofs .
All three ranges have the shooting benches all one piece 2 have the seats connected to the benches , so everytime someone next to you shoots or moves it shakes your crosshair. I've given them the name ''ammo-wasters'' they come to the 100 yards range and fire a shot about every two seconds using one of the pieces of treated 4x4 wood as a rest or shooting off their elbows . Never shooting a group inside of 7-10-20'' just bang bang bang . When they leave another one takes their place with his ak-sks-ar handfull of russian ammo . They need to let them shoot at the Dump for free so the rest of us can sight in a gun .
I've been trying to work up loads on some [should be] accurate rifles and have made no progress in a few years thanks to the goofs .

Myself and two other guys spoke with the Bay County shooting range about it - they're discussing how to go about the problem - we were not the first to mention this by a long shot according to them . So maybe after many wasted rounds by me because of the goofs i can get a 6.5x47 L shooting inside of 1.5'' --LAF .
Was looking over my group data this evening and got riled up when realising how long this has been going on .
I've had to leave to range many times when the goofs surround me , you can't talk nice to them and get them to show a small amount of consideration . 130 mile round trip drive and $10 range fee down the drain .

You folks living out west or people with a quiet [goofless] range have it made - here in craphole florida it sucks .

My condolences man. I cant imagine living in a place where i couldnt run out to the national forest or blm land with my portable bench and shoot as long as my heart is content. Shooting without interruption is really needed for shooting precise groups and working up loads. I feel for you. I can relate though. I went to my range the other day and it was chit poor weather. I thought no one would be there, but I was wrong. There were 5 guys under the covered rifle range and they were all standing up shooting their AR's. They littered the concrete slab with brass and left a mess. I was at the pistol range:
Shooting some of the steel targets that I made. Waited until about 45 minutes before dark and then the bozo's left the rifle range. Then I got my chit thrown in the back of my Tacoma and headed over to the rifle range to shoot my new 22lr target rifle:

In some of these pics, you can see the brass laying on the cement slab under the benches. Usually we keep that chit swept up, but these morons don't give a chit... They were the types that pull the trigger about every half second but rarely hit what they were aiming at......

What’s even better you can be set up clear in the other side and here they come saddle up next to you.. the range I belong too after 1600 members only so that’s a plus, Monday and Tuesday members only.. we have a public range here in the valley public use, but you need to be packing up by high noon.. that’s when the AR boys show up.. I usually end up being that guy telling everyone to read the rules of the range. Because never ph ucking fails idiots handling firearms while folks are downrange checking targets..

Yeah, thats a good one to bring up. I know you love your ar's, as I do too, but some guys that bring them to the club are extremely unsafe. We had one guy pop in a mag, load one in and then proceed to sweep all of us sitting at the benches. My buddy jumped up and yelled at the dumb fu ck, "hey, don't ever do that again!!!!" He then said, "I know you are a new club member, but if you ever do something like that again, you'll get kicked out of the club!!!". Its everyone's responsibility to make sure people are safe. During one of our centerfire competitions, we had a couple new guys setting up for the competiton and they asked if they could get zeroed in. We have some pretty understanding club members and our competitions aren't too serious, but when we walked downrange I had extra holes in my target:
You can imagine I got pissed when I found this on my comp target... After the same numb nuts had a negligent discharge at the line, we had to have a little talk with him. Him and his buddies also decided they didn't want to shoot comp with us..... Fuggers.. I would have loved to take their fu cking money!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I've noticed an increase in the number of "mag dumpers" at my range. Even when they slow down their hit percentage on an 18" gong at 50 yards isn't too good. I should bring my snub nosed 38 and beat their results to see if they get the point.

Amen.. What worries me is some of you (not you mathman, but some previous posters) guys think these people are 2A supporters, wehn they probably aren't. Around here they support the hell out of meth production and use. They are starting to give us real "2A supporters" a bad name and that's not good for gun owners as a whole... These pukes are the ones dragging out old tvs and couches to shoot at and hang targets on. They litter the hell out of our forests and shooting spots. In the end, they are bad news for us. Trust me....They aren't helping matters..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m not ammo dumping with my AR, I’m their grouping 10shot groups. I single feed all the time, since that’s what we have to do during mid range prone shoots.. the one club i belong too has rso’s they do a pretty good job keeping everyone honest..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman

Amen.. What worries me is some of you (not you mathman, but some previous posters) guys think these people are 2A supporters, wehn they probably aren't. Around here they support the hell out of meth production and use. They are starting to give us real "2A supporters" a bad name and that's not good for gun owners as a whole... These pukes are the ones dragging out old tvs and couches to shoot at and hang targets on. They litter the hell out of our forests and shooting spots. In the end, they are bad news for us. Trust me....They aren't helping matters..

One day I spent 30 minutes picking trash up on the 25yd range at public use range. The chit I was picking up was mind boggling, bras, socks I’m like wtf.. I’m out their picking trash up two guys show up look at me. I said it’s chit like this that will get this place shutdown. They look at me and go up to the rifle range, thanks ass holes for helping out. The best one was when, these guys asked can we shoot tannerite pointed out on the rules they have screwed to the wood beams. That no you can’t, well next cease fire they setup the tannerite and shoot it. Me and buddy look at them go wtf, two of them left. One stick around to help clean up the ph ucking mess..

Last edited by 79S; 01/17/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m not ammo dumping with my AR, I’m their grouping 10shot groups. I single feed all the time, since that’s what we have to do during mid range prone shoots.. the one club i belong too has rso’s they do a pretty good job keeping everyone honest..

My club also had (still have) RSO's. At one time, they were required to be there anytime there were people there shooting. Now it's not a requirement, so you get dip chidts coming out doing what ever the hell they want... Now, when we are doing a shoot, they either have to join in, or leave...

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hell I feel bad when I shoot my muzzleloader at public ranges. I tell guys sorry man..

Last edited by 79S; 01/17/20.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
246 members (1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.