24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tough conditions out there are just another day... hard to even speculate what happened.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/L...from-the-Unalaska-Airport-567046231.html

Three crew members in good condition after LifeMed plane crashes into Unalaska Harbor

Two boats responded to rescue the crew of a medical transport flight that crashed in Unalaska Bay Jan. 16, 2020. (Courtesy Meg Thomson-Dean)
By Kortnie Horazdovsky | Posted: Thu 9:34 AM, Jan 16, 2020 | Updated: Thu 4:43 PM, Jan 16, 2020

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) -- Three occupants of a LifeMed Alaska plane are in good condition after their plane crashed after takeoff in Unalaska.

The plane was headed for Adak when it crashed into Unalaska Bay and then sank, sparking an oil cleanup activation.

LifeMed Alaska says the pilot and two crew members -- a nurse and paramedic -- were on their way for a routine medical transport Thursday morning when the plane experienced an "unknown issue which forced an emergency water landing."

"Through skill, training and composure, our pilot and two crew members were able to safely evacuate from the aircraft with minimal injuries," LifeMed Alaska CEO Russ Edwards wrote in a release. The company has temporarily suspended its operations.

The King Air aircraft crashed at about 8 a.m. The three people onboard were able to evacuate in a life raft and were rescued within minutes by the U.S.Coast Guard in good condition. LifeMed Alaska says they were taken to the health clinic for evaluation and will be brought back to Anchorage Thursday evening.

LifeMed says Aero Air operated the plane, but that the two companies work in a close partnership.

The city says the aircraft is between the end of the runway and Hog Island in Unalaska Bay. It's about 100 feet northwest of the end of the runway in 60 to 100 feet of water, according to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

When the plane sank, it sparked a spill cleanup response from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. DEC says there is a visible sheen on the water.

In an afternoon call with the media, CEO Russ Edwards said the company is doing a safety stand-down of all operations until at least 8 p.m. Thursday evening. He said he would revisit the decision and whether to extend that stand-down later in the afternoon. Even if the stand-down is ended, the company's Unalaska base would halt operations for an undetermined amount of time.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the incident. The chief of the NTSB's Alaska regional office, Clint Johnson, said Thursday that a recovery crew in Dutch Harbor is working to recover the airplane.

"As far as probable cause, way too early at this point," Johnson said Thursday. "First on the agenda is to be able to talk to the flight crew, or the pilot in this case... the health and well beign of that pilot comes first and foremost, so when the time comes, we'll hopefully have the chance to be able to sit down with him or her and find out what happened from his or her standpoint."

Johnson said he believed the plane had a cockpit voice recorder which, if recovered, will be sent to NTSB headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything sure went well after the plane went down.
3 lucky folks...

ADN says..A city-owned vessel reached the downed aircraft within 24 minutes.....

Even a half hour of being wet and bobbing around in the bay is a half hour too long...
My weather history generator says it was 36 with 14mph winds and 25mph gusts at 8am in Dutch this morning.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There are some amazingly good and dedicated folks that get right after it when the alarms go off.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hard to even speculate what happened.

Why speculate? Just ask the crew.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It’d be speculation at this point until more information becomes available.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There are some amazingly good and dedicated folks that get right after it when the alarms go off.

Those are always appreciated! And its why when my pager went off, I never screwed around. Up and stripping on clothes and boots and out the door asap. You never know when a few seconds or minutes may save one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
hard to even speculate what happened.

Why speculate? Just ask the crew.

Crew might know what happened, may not. They certainly have the best current perspective, but the root cause may be harder to dig out.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m impressed they were able to get the raft out and deployed. Lots of skill and lots of luck I’d wager.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m impressed they were able to get the raft out and deployed. Lots of skill and lots of luck I’d wager.

Spent a bit of time around ER docs... some folks are better with stress than others... I suspect that group is better than average.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
might be wing icing. at that temp, climbing out on takeoff into some moisture could be trouble

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That would be incredibly fast for icing wouldn't it?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Spent a bit of time around ER docs... some folks are better with stress than others... I suspect that group is better than average.

ER EMS type folks deal with high stress quite often.

As with anything the more familiar and the more you do something like dealing with stress, the better you are.

Still luck has to factor in some as to how the plane ended up, even if it was something that was a controlled landing, landing in water you never know what might happen when you make contact I would think.

Good news all seem to be fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Like starting off with too much ice?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
could be....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.