Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by garddogg56
I'll take a F-150 back to the dealer for repairs...thank you

Fixt

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Journeyman

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 and a 2004 Tundra.

My Ford has 174,000 miles with zero, zip, nada issues...flawless!

My Tundra has 121,000 miles with :
Recalls for cooling, exhaust, exterior lighting, air bag inflator modules, air bag on-off switch assembly, control arms, ball joints...

Pass the Ford , please...

According to NHTSA, there have been 12 recalls for the 2004 Tundra. And 16 for the 2004 F-150.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AND, Toyota just issued a fuel pump related recall for over 700,000 vehicles. In the past 17 years of buying GM 4x4s, total of five recalls for four pickups. Most serious one, was jiggering the 'puter for the electric power steering in the 2010 Chevy. But none of my trucks ever exhibited the problems before I had to take it in. None required a special trip, usually due for service anyway?.

Total of repairs under warranty, all four trucks: Fan motor/switch in the '06 Sierra; Power steering box leak, same truck; Intake gasket leak, in the '02 and tail gate straps; Minor AC refrigerant leak in the '10; AC/heat duct "door" servo in the '14. Only repair I've ever had to pay for, was a new brake caliper on the '10 at around 60,000 miles.

Last edited by dubePA; 01/15/20.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EdM
I am liking my Dodge...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’d fugk it’s muffler.

Well it is a "Swinger"

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
My Tundra started again this morning.

Despite my not remembering where I parked it.

Winning!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I'm driving my 2002 V-8 Tundra for 18yrs now.Zero major issues at 210K miles now and still gets 24-25miles per gallon on the highway..Still a great truck.Clear coat paint is flaking a little now.Never thought I'd drive one that long and was offered 6k cash for it.That is one good thing about the Toyotas,they have great resale value too.

No dog in this fight, but I know several owners. If the bold above is true, it belongs in the Smithsonian. Great trucks, but they refuse to pass up a gas station.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC the original Tundra V8s were four valve, DOHC? First\ one I ever laid eyes on, belonged to a neighbor's friend. Five speed I think? He claimed it needed at least 89 octane fuel, or it pinged when lugged. I suggested he not lug it, then. No one else I've known with the early trucks, ever mentioned that.

I've also never heard any of them say they got great fuel mileage.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The original Tundra with the smaller V-8 was reasonable on fuel mileage. My brother has an 06 4X4 long bed regular cab. He will get upper teens and 20mpg is possible under ideal conditions. A 4X2 MIGHT do a little better, but I still have a hard time believing 24+mpg. Newer trucks, especially with the bigger V8 are going to be roughly 2mpg worse than Ford/Chevy/Ram. But the additional fuel cost will probably be offset by fewer repair charges over the life of the truck.

My 07 Tacoma gets about the same fuel mileage as my brothers 06 Tundra. I have 202,000 on that truck and the only part I've replaced that I paid for was an alternator Other than normal stuff like tires, brakes, battery etc. Toyota paid for everything else, and that included some parts up to 200,000 miles. Having multiple recalls isn't necessarily a bad thing. If there is a problem and they take care of you on their dime I'm OK with that. I have no issue with Ford either, but they would probably laugh at me asking for reimbursement for replacing a U-Joint at 200,000 miles. Toyota paid for it.

As much as I like my Tacoma we reached the point 4 years ago where we needed a bigger truck. I COULD have traded the Tacoma for a new 2016 at the time, or keep the Tacoma and buy a used 2013 or 2014. It worked out to about the same money out of pocket either way. I chose to keep the Tacoma and buy used. I looked hard for a used Tundra, but at the time simply couldn't find a used one that met my needs. On the other hand there were dozens of F150's to pick from within a 75 mile radius that checked all the boxes for what I needed so that is the way I went.

I've had that truck for almost 4 years, it now has 85,000 miles on it and the only factory parts I've replaced are the tires, battery and front brake pads. I can't complain. I still think that a Tundra will need fewer repairs to get me to 200,000 miles, but both are good trucks.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy since school days, bought a new Tacoma,standard cab Tacoma 4x4, had it for at least 12 years, probably longer?

Think it was a '98? Four banger, five speed. Had well over 200K on it when someone hit it hard enough to total it. Daily driver, got him back and forth to work for most of those years. Had a 'Vette in the garage, said he enjoyed the Tacoma more than the 'Vette. Probably because the Tacoma got better gas mileage? He was fond of telling how the Tacoma hardly cost him a dime in repairs.

grin

Recall a time I met up with him at Lowe's and he was having a fit over a parking lot door ding. Truck was 8 or 10 years old then.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ford , Chevy, Ram or Toyota?

I've had them all and at the end of the day the Tundra has less problems and holds much better resale after a few years, my 07 has had 0 issues at 152,000 miles, nothing but maintenance and drive the crap out of it.

last year I had a used truck salesman try his best to talk me out of it, he said he can't keep them, he also said they would fetch about 5 grand more than the other 3 in the same year and mileage range, that my friends speaks volumes. Look around, a decent used Tundra is hard to come by and expensive when you do, ask yourself, why is that??

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Only Tundras that came w/ a MT were the early models (first year or two) and they were 6 bangers like the T100's. Don't think many were made and I never see them up for sale.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hillbill
Ford , Chevy, Ram or Toyota?

I've had them all and at the end of the day the Tundra has less problems and holds much better resale after a few years, my 07 has had 0 issues at 152,000 miles, nothing but maintenance and drive the crap out of it.

last year I had a used truck salesman try his best to talk me out of it, he said he can't keep them, he also said they would fetch about 5 grand more than the other 3 in the same year and mileage range, that my friends speaks volumes. Look around, a decent used Tundra is hard to come by and expensive when you do, ask yourself, why is that??

hillbill,

These are all very good points.

Thanks.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by deflave
My Toyota Tundra Is the best GD vehicle I've ever owned.

Love my 2000 Tundra V-8 4x4.

I can relate Pal. I love mine too:

It's like my rifles though: Total safe queen. Kicked my tacoma out in the cold weather....

The old toyota's are better than the new ones.. Even the dealerships say that... They just don't build them like they used to...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm driving my 2002 V-8 Tundra for 18yrs now.Zero major issues at 210K miles now and still gets 24-25miles per gallon on the highway..Still a great truck.Clear coat paint is flaking a little now.Never thought I'd drive one that long and was offered 6k cash for it.That is one good thing about the Toyotas,they have great resale value too.

No dog in this fight, but I know several owners. If the bold above is true, it belongs in the Smithsonian. Great trucks, but they refuse to pass up a gas station.

Clyde

Yeah, I highly doubt it's getting that kind of mileage. Mine averages 19mpg on highway trips.. That's actually better than my damn v6 Taco too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Fixt

smile

Originally Posted by Rooster7

Never broken ! Like those jap frames
smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had a 81 Toyota PU with 22 R 5 speed absolute lemon.

2 5th gear carrier bearings, front-wheel bearings, front drive shaft, alternator, front seal 2 times all before 70 k miles none was covered by warranty. And I am easy on vehicles. My 2 Fords I had after the Toyota were more reliable and less issues and I don't care for Fords!

My 04 Chev 1/2 ton 5.3 no issues 106 K .

Thinking of buying a GMC 3/4 Ton with the new 6.6 Gas engine.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Had a 81 Toyota PU with 22 R 5 speed absolute lemon.

2 5th gear carrier bearings, front-wheel bearings, front drive shaft, alternator, front seal 2 times all before 70 k miles none was covered by warranty. And I am easy on vehicles. My 2 Fords I had after the Toyota were more reliable and less issues and I don't care for Fords!

My 04 Chev 1/2 ton 5.3 no issues 106 K .

Thinking of buying a GMC 3/4 Ton with the new 6.6 Gas engine.

While that experience has nothing to do with a Tundra, the early Toyota PU's were not without their problems.

They really hit their stride around 84-85.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

I had a 2001 and it was the exact engine. 4.7 got a 50HP increase in later years, maybe 2005? Anyway if I got 17 it was a stellar tank, and I live in a rural area with uber driving conditions. In my new 4runner, I get top mileage compared to others on fuely.com.
I miss that truck a lot. Perfect hunting rig.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 2016 Tundra I had was nice, but I like my 4Runner better. The Tundra lied about its mileage, got .8mpg worse than what it displayed in the dash. Can't argue with long term reliability though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The recall of 696,000 vehicles for fuel possible fuel pump issues is for cars, not trucks---

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.