-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, I'd use a grinding mask/goggles for a heron. They WHIP that beak.

If you net it, don't dink around. Pin it quick, snip and gone.

Actually, I'm not sure what I'd do. We've got a local heron, and I can tell when he's been around, lots fewer fish visible in the creek. If it was hurt, I'd probably put it out of its misery only.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
When you get your cast net, learn how to catch some bait. That bird is hungry. It will eat from your hand in a day or two.

Pics or it didn't happen...

DO NOT TRY TO HANDFEED A BLUE HERON!!!!!

Awe come on, anything goes around here if pics are involved. grin

Seriously though, the OP needs to practice on some bait. He'll most likely only get one shot at the bird with the net and some bait will get that bird a lot closer.

Just don't try to hand feed them. You'll come back with a hole through your hand.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We catch them the same as pelicans to get hooks out. Three foot section of heavy mono leader (50lb +, do not use braid, NO HOOK), tied to reasonable lb test main line on fishing rod that you can cast a ways. Catch a bluegill or two (bream, perch, similar sized baitfish). Tie the leader securely through the baitfish’s eye sockets. Cast close to heron and let it swallow the baitfish, get tension on line and have someone run up to the heron and grab it (heavy gloves and a hand towel help) controlling the beak and wings (you need to be quick here as the heron will spit the bait out quickly if given time). Remove lure (usually have to cut the hook point and barb off and back the hook out). Pull the leader and baitfish gently out of the herons gullet if it hasnt spit it back out already. Wave bye to the heron or remove leader and feed him the baitfish, then wave bye.

Pelicans are easier as you can get much much closer to them, and they are always suckers for a free meal. The issue with pelicans is their beaks are at about the same level as your jewels, and they won’t hesitate to take a nip if given the opportunity. They are much easier than herons to hand catch, mostly because their “handle” is longer and not as sharp. Might take a couple of tries, but it is completely doable with herons.

Please make sure you have someone video this, and post it here...

Good luck!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Actually, I'm not sure what I'd do. We've got a local heron, and I can tell when he's been around, lots fewer fish visible in the creek. If it was hurt, I'd probably put it out of its misery only.

If its not hurt , you can always hurt it with a bullet, and then you'll have a reason to put it out of its misery ! smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
SimonK hope you get him unhooked .

True story !

In the 1980's i worked on offshore drilling rig Gulf Oil @ South Pass 49 - Huthnance Drilling based in Houston .

I was down on the production deck lifting weights - coming up the stairs i spyed a big blue heron that was lost or just desided to spend the night 12.5 miles offshore south of Venice ,La. . 'Bird was blinded by the powerful light up on the pipe-rack - i went back down and got a coupon of pillow cases to cover my hands/arms for the big catch . Put the sneek on it grabbed it right off the handrail at the top of the stairs [flapping/scratching/biting/squakingfor a bit] and preceded to the Roustabouts room . After scoping out the hallway coast was clear - plan was to ease the door open toss the bird into the small room with 4 Roustabouts who slept with their heads towards the door which made viewing the satelite tv easier .

Slowly opened door inward tossed the bird in pulled door closed on dark'ish room with tv on , grabbed stainless doorknob with my best two handed grip pressed my body against the wall and hung onto to the knob . Pure pandemonium - hollering loud noise cussing 2-3 grabs at the doorknob to no avail .
Then i let go of doorknob and disappeared up the back steps into the galley as calm as could be , here comes a crew of pissy roustabouts glaring at me . Deny - but don't over-deny - [must have over-denied] next morning my hardhat and uniroyal boots were missing - found them full of water fully frozen after thirty minutes of looking . Gloves too - they were frozen in the bottom of the boots --- good times at ridgemont high . Fun loving early 20's lads entertainment . .

Yeah .

That sounds like a fun rig and crew to work with...LMFAO 😂🤣😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
We catch them the same as pelicans to get hooks out. Three foot section of heavy mono leader (50lb +, do not use braid, NO HOOK), tied to reasonable lb test main line on fishing rod that you can cast a ways. Catch a bluegill or two (bream, perch, similar sized baitfish). Tie the leader securely through the baitfish’s eye sockets. Cast close to heron and let it swallow the baitfish, get tension on line and have someone run up to the heron and grab it (heavy gloves and a hand towel help) controlling the beak and wings (you need to be quick here as the heron will spit the bait out quickly if given time). Remove lure (usually have to cut the hook point and barb off and back the hook out). Pull the leader and baitfish gently out of the herons gullet if it hasnt spit it back out already. Wave bye to the heron or remove leader and feed him the baitfish, then wave bye.

Pelicans are easier as you can get much much closer to them, and they are always suckers for a free meal. The issue with pelicans is their beaks are at about the same level as your jewels, and they won’t hesitate to take a nip if given the opportunity. They are much easier than herons to hand catch, mostly because their “handle” is longer and not as sharp. Might take a couple of tries, but it is completely doable with herons.

Good luck!

Great post 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m just gonna add to the chorus about protecting your eyes. Forty years ago a guy in East Texas tried to pick up an injured great egret in a roadside ditch. It struck with an open beak and hit both his eyes.

A good thing you are trying to do.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I would not count for a second on "safety glasses", I handled quite a few pelicans that were stuck on exposed trotlines years ago. A GBH would be even more dangerous and I believe could easily pierce through the plastic safety goggles.

I attended a workshop where a rehab. expert was trying to teach us how to handle a great horned owl safely. She failed the test and nearly lost an eye in front of 75 students. Be careful who you attempt to learn from!

sounds like a bullet would be the best solution here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen them after they were dead, and they're nothing but feathers.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The first thought that crossed my mind, since I could get up within 20 feet of the bird, was that a load of #8s from the 20 gauge would fix this bird up.
However, as you can see, Lake Louise is hardly in the wilderness, there are houses and apartments all around the lake.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is always a big crowd in the park, walking dogs and playing on the swings, with Mom watching. Even on a rainy 50 degree day, there are a dozen people in this park. The park is closed after dark.
There is no way you could shoot this bird without someone hearing and seeing it. And every one of these park goers has an Iphone. I have no doubt it is illegal to discharge a firearm in Weaverville, after all, it is just 6 miles from Asheville.

Also, I think these big birds are protected by Federal law.

I was telling my girlfriend yesterday, while I was ordering the $50 cast net from Amazon, that back 50 years ago, when I was a kid, someone living near the park would have just shot it with a shotgun, and nobody would have cared. Times have changed.

Well, boys y'all have really opened my eyes, to coin a phrase, about the dangers of this big bird. So I am trying to be a nice guy, and this bird would peck my eye out.
It is a 30 minute drive to the park, I will go back down there today and see what is what. Will try to get a pic.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A .177 pellet gun will take one down

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Good luck!

The heron that the OP is talking about is obviously not able to eat and is slowly deteriorating, so this approach won't work in this case.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Academy didnt have cast nets?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.22 Short, after dark.

G
G23 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
If you catch it, can I have my lure back?

G23

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use to have a huge full adult Great Blue Heron that would hang out in my house.

It all started one evening when I'd left my sliding glass doors open, I was wintering in a water front home on Treasure Island Beach in FL.

It was only 20 feet to my dock from the doors, this heron was a regular, he hung out on docks around me feeding off fish cleaning stations and leftover baits people would have on their docks.

If you came in my sliding doors you were in my family room, there was a dividing wall with a 7 foot opening in it that entered into the living room. I'd be kicked back in the living room watching TV from my recliner on any given night.

I'm just sitting there one evening and caught movement in my peripheral vision, spun my head and looked and this sucker was in the middle of my family room and he was huge, he had to be 5 ft to the top of his head.

I jumped up and headed to the frig, I had some fish we were using for bait in a ziploc bag chillin in the frig, I dumped it on a plate and sat it in that opening between the living and family room. He'd backed off a little with my movements but he was still inside the door.
He jumped right on the fish, gobbled it all down, hung out for a couple minutes then left.

This got to be a regular occurrence, he'd come by most evenings looking to get a free meal.
I was keeping frozen bait around just for him and I'd gotten to where I'd leave the plate of goodies in the middle of the living room.

He'd walk right by my recliner, eat, look around a little bit, maybe watch some TV with me then split.

When he did, you'd better believe I turned my head and shielded my eyes, that beak on his face was big, long and very pointed.

All went well, just another freeloader, their in abundance everywhere ya go.

One evening when I nuked his dinner to thaw it out I noticed the plate seemed a little warmer that usual, there was a little steam rollin off the fish. He had yet to arrive so I just sat it there in the middle of the living room and started watching TV.

It wasn't long and there he was, right in the door lookin' for his dinner. I turned my head a little as usual as he passed by.

Well apparently from his reaction to my offering, that fish hadn't sat long enough to cool down before he had just swallowed it whole.

He spreaded those wings, screamed and proceeded to bust up every thing he could on his way out the back door.
The collections of glass and porcelain niknaks sitting on shelves and tables in the living room were wasted, even a high dollar porcelain of his own image laid shattered in pieces in the floor.

I'd just rolled outta the far side of my recliner, laid face down on the floor with my arms protecting my head.

He musta had a 6 or 7 ft wing span and he just flailed them all around the living and family room as he headed for the door.

Typical freeloading entitlist, just a screw you and out the door, I guess he expected me to blow on his damn food to cool it for him...he never returned.....good riddance..

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That thing can poke a hole through your throat and you’ll end up in the ER or morgue. A load of #2s or BBs would be my choice but since you live in town let the authorities take care of it. Ain’t no shortage of those fish-eating bastids around here. They decimate the froggie population on my pond and eat my trout, too. Not to mention schitting up my dock. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Call the game warden. They need something to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMerta
Call the game warden. They need something to do.

They are doing something, they are watching him starve to death while they run around in circles prolonging his death.
Want to do something for him? Be a little humane, put him outta his misery, it's gone too long, you can't save the world..

If he was in his nature environment a predator would have already taken care of this, but I'm sure in that developed area there are no predators left.

The added stress he is going to suffer being caught the handled in his current state will probably push him past the possibility of recovery even if he is caught and the hook gets removed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot the hook off.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.