Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like all of the stuff Ive taken. The stand outs are a 3 year old bull moose from Vermont taken in 2015. And back in 2002, I shot a Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak island. that was very tasty. Really like elk and whitetail. Antelope backstraps are tops of the list too. I eat all of it. My bear was mostly sausage, but that was very good also. hell, Ill eat all of it!

Salmonhead
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the stuff I've taken I like the black bear from here in Michigan best, but the gator I've had from others is the best.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like good deer sausage! Slovacek in Snook Texas makes the best I’ve eaten.

Last edited by hanco; 01/22/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hartmann's Mountain Zebra!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antelope
Whitetail deer
Moose
Elk
Mule deer

Javalina (SUCKS) You can survive on it but it ain't gourmet................

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Axis
Elk
Bison
Fallow deer
Whitetail deer
Mule deer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wild Boar
Elk
Black Bear
Mule deer

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dall sheep.....not too much over $100/lb.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Roosevelt Elk burgers.

Adirondack Whitetail

Bison

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good Whitetail is my favorite. It is our primary meat. We have deer meat in some form four to five days a week.

Two factors that produce noticeably better tasting meat are taking the animal early in the fall, when their fat reserves are up and shots to the brain stem or thoracic spine between the shoulder blades so there is instant death.

Someone opined the taste difference was due to the hormone dump on a death run. I don’t know why, but the results are noticeable comparing deer of same age, sex, size, and same area of browse.

So table meat cuts are shot as early in the season as possible. Late season goes to the grinder mixed 60:40 deer to pork to add fat to it.

I have shot Axis four times and never been very happy with it. Might have been the particular area, but it was not good to me.

Blackbuck is excellent.

Elk is good, mule deer not so much, rattlesnake is ok, but a real pain to eat with all of the bones. After hunting in south Louisiana, first hand taste tests give the prize for absolute worst meat to Nutria, Coons, and Possums. Never again will those go on my plate unless it is the end of the world scenario. Wild turkey and ducks are edible, but so so. Goose makes wonderful gumbo.

The big green swamp frogs are fantastic when well prepared.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Elk
Mule deer
Whitetail
Antelope

Sandhill crane and specklebelly goose in there somewhere. Duck is great, but you have to know what you are doing.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Good Whitetail is my favorite. It is our primary meat. We have deer meat in some form four to five days a week.

Two factors that produce noticeably better tasting meat are taking the animal early in the fall, when their fat reserves are up and shots to the brain stem or thoracic spine between the shoulder blades so there is instant death.

Someone opined the taste difference was due to the hormone dump on a death run. I don’t know why, but the results are noticeable comparing deer of same age, sex, size, and same area of browse.

So table meat cuts are shot as early in the season as possible. Late season goes to the grinder mixed 60:40 deer to pork to add fat to it.

I have shot Axis four times and never been very happy with it. Might have been the particular area, but it was not good to me.

Blackbuck is excellent.

Elk is good, mule deer not so much, rattlesnake is ok, but a real pain to eat with all of the bones. After hunting in south Louisiana, first hand taste tests give the prize for absolute worst meat to Nutria, Coons, and Possums. Never again will those go on my plate unless it is the end of the world scenario. Wild turkey and ducks are edible, but so so. Goose makes wonderful gumbo.

The big green swamp frogs are fantastic when well prepared.

How many deer are you allowed to take a year in Texas? I kill one moose a year and eat it a couple times a week with a family of 4. The meat lasts about 5 months.

Last edited by OAM; 02/21/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oryx is hard to beat !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I like a young White Tail Doe the best but that's what I've eaten the most of.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OAM,

the number varies by county, ranging from 1 - 5 with regular tags. Sometimes I hunt on ranches with management tags. The State issues tags to a ranch based on biologist surveys and management goals for the population in the area. Usually, there are tags going unused.

Bucks average 225 - 230# early in the season. Does are 90 - 120.

Two bucks usually are enough for my wife and me, depending how much family and friends ask for. A third provides enough to share more generously.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by hanco
I like good deer sausage! Slovacek in Snook Texas makes the best I’ve eaten.

hanco, Lots of us South Central Texans (Germans-Czechs) make good sausage. I make my own and smoke it in small batches. I used to make 100 or more pounds at one time but now I make small batches from 10-50 pounds. It's much less work in one day and I can control the seasoning better.

Salt is the key ingredient. If you get the salt right it's gonna be edible. I use 30 ounces per 100 pounds of meat as a ratio. In other words if I make 10 pounds that's 3 oz. salt and that's counting curing salt. 4 oz of curing salt per 100 pounds of meat is the standard rule. I subtract whatever weight of curing salt I use from the 30 oz per 100 pounds meat ratio.

A lot of people making it at home don't use curing salt. I used to not but I got worried about the botulism you can get from the smoker. That's what curing salt is for, to kill the botulism that can thrive in the smoker. Being as your temperature inside the smoke house or smoker doesn't get that high you need curing salt which is Sodium Nitrite. Sodium Nitrite is used for fresh sausage. They use sodium nitrite-nitrate blend for drying sausage. I'm not an authority on dried sausage so I've never used that. But with Sodium Nitrite I know it replaces the salt about equally. In other words If I use 4 oz curing salt per 100 pounds meat then 4 oz. of the total salt will be curing salt, and 26 will be regular sodium chloride or table salt. That, by the way, is non iodized. Iodine will make it turn black. It works for me, sodium nitrite, Prague Number 1 for fresh sausage and Prague Number 2-Sodium Nitrate-Sodium Nitrite, Prague Number 2 for dried sausage. Anyway, the rest if my recipe is variable depending on what I feel like. Also, if you like hot pepper or chile as they call it, dry the chiles. If you use them fresh I've found it makes the sausage mushy. I use large jalapenos. They're generally not too hot and add a great flavor to the sausage. I also use a couple oz black pepper in 100 pounds. That's about the extent of my recipe and is pretty common in Texas style German-Czech sausage.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/22/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
not to old of a cow elk that has been feeding in Alfalfa fields that i shot and butchered myself

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like many others, I do like a good antelope. However, I don't get it often as antelope tags are VERY hard to draw in Idaho. I've only drawn twice in my life, the last time being 3 years ago.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mature Dall rams killed in July, or August. Of course it could be the element, and beauty of that sheep country you're in, along with usually digesting a fair amount of freeze dried grub for days on end leading up to the kill...;)

Second would be the Shiras moose I killed four years ago in Southwest Montana. I think I cried when we ran out of that.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Moose meat is great--except bulls during the peak of the rut.

We have taken several moose, including two in Montana--both by Eileen. (Yes, she has drawn two tags, one bull and one antlerless.) I have taken bulls both before the rut and well after in Alaska, Alberta, and British Columbia--and ALL were great.

Have eaten some other people took during the rut (which is basically the same as elk) and while it could be made edible, was not the same....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.