Print Thread
Hop To
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Purchased an Aero upper. This one:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-p...luted-complete-upper-receiver-w-atl.html

Hand guard is compatible with a low profile gas block, .750.

This is a fun gun, nothing serious. Was planning on building to learn about the platform, but the parts were more expensive then the assembled upper on sale. Will shoot it first, then start tinkering. Thinking adjustable gas block looks like an interesting place to start.

Looked at the Seekins Precision and Odin Works on Optics planet. Major issue seems to be ease of adjustment.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
GB1

You might want to check this guy out, a snap to install and the easiest to fit under a slim handguard.

https://www.wojtekweaponry.com/

He puts a hole in the top of the GB so that the installation perfectly aligned.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Oden Works adjustable gas blocks on 2 ARs. I can make adjustments from the front with a long Allen key. They allow me to adjust my ARs to soften up the cycling of the action. I am waiting on a tax stamp for a suppressor so these will allow me to adjust for that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Odin Works also. I have the clamp on model installed on my 243 LBC.

Dan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was looking for one and told i knew of the Seekins but a fellow told me of one at ar15haundguard.

For 23.00-+ i bought two to play with.

When it came in i went to the auto parts place and got a 2mm long allen wrench.

It went on easy and it was easy to adjust.

It is a .750 and a clamp on.this went on a 7.5in.pistol in 556 and worked first time.

Since them it has has about 150 rounds at a fast pace and i had no problems.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I prefer superlative arms, but I'd just tweak buffer weights on a ≥ middy.
The link you listed should include gas system, btw.

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. Recommendations on buffers and springs? I'm told that is the next part of the gas system I need to balance.

Opened a can of worms! Had a couple friends over last night for cigars. Both are avid ar shooters and builders. In addition to the Aero upper, I picked up Brownell's lightweight bcg. I figure you pay to learn. Getting the adjustable gas block to tune for the lightweight bcg. Several cigars and many hours later I was properly educated on my dumbfuckatude. You would think I insulted their mothers!

This is getting to be more fun then I thought it would be.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Honestly man, I've never had a gas issue with a 223/556, but I always just run standard weight BCGs. AR10s are slightly trickier because there's so much gas to deal with.

It's really hard to say whatcha need until you just shoot the thing. There's a chart floating around the internet that shows the hours of a clock in relation to ejection pattern.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ARejectionpattern.jpg

Shoot it and see where the brass flies.
I still wouldn't spend cash on an agb until you've exhausted other options.

If you just hate money and love gadgets, the jp silent capture spring might be up your alley. I can confirm, it puts less noise in your right ear.

If you want to avoid burning cash unnecessarily, just return the lw bcg and buy the cheapest toolcraft BCG from armorally.com, and run the standard gas block. That's probably going to be your most reliable option as well.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 40O
Thanks for the input. Recommendations on buffers and springs? I'm told that is the next part of the gas system I need to balance.

If you're tuning the gas system, you generally don't need to change buffers or springs. You'll adjust the gas to work with the standard buffer and spring in your rifle.

With that light weight bolt carrier, you'll probably need to restrict the gas a little more. There's no point at all in following some of the common advice to use heavy buffers if you're trying to use a lightweight carrier, since the entire purpose of that carrier is to reduce the reciprocating mass, and the buffer is part of that mass.

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
CaptArab,
Sound advice, but it would have been more accurate if I had titled this thread newbie who wants to tinker. I have reliable, factory, firearms. I've started shooting in some of the local iron and 2gun matches. This build is to try and minimize recoil and muzzle flip. I'm on the front end of a new hobby and willing to spend to learn. Not looking to burn money, but I have a little extra to spend.
1. Lightweight bcg, 2. Adjustable gas block, and 3. Tacoma's lightweight buffer and spring. I have a standard bcg laying around somewhere. Plan is to experiment.
Thanks,
Peter

Rep.Mitchell.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
SLR blocks the best made.......... IMO

Again JMO but going lw bcg , lw spring and buffer, along with a adj. gb will give you much lower recoil and quicker time back on target. I've done this with all my pistol builds and it works out well for me. As for the Adj. GB, yes you can go with most expensive one and they are great but if you're looking to experiment the Wojtec, at $35.00 can't be beat.

PS he also sells proper wrench set to adjust his GBs.

Last edited by 41bear; 01/21/20.
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
41bear,
Scratching that itch. I understand that each is a part of a system, but did you find any one component was most effective in mitigating recoil and muzzle flip? With luck my new toys will arrive this week.
Thanks,
Peter

Rep.Mitchell.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not sure why your buddies implied dumbfuckitude. That Brownells lightweight bcg is a very nice piece of gear.

Light bcg, reduced power spring, light buffer, adjustable gas, rock on. SLR makes a nice adjustable gas block, but it is not the most low profile in the world.

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Buddies are into SHTF weapons. They see the lwbcg, gb, and lw buffer and springs as adversely affecting reliability under adverse conditions. They are right. However, I'm building a gaming gun, not a SHTF weapon. I'm looking to minimize recoil and muzzle flip. Unlike my brother, who cant tell the difference between a .22 and a .308, I notice recoil. I can squeeze off a first round fairly accurately with any weapon, but my follow up shots are affected by recoil.

This is fun. Can't wait for the parts. Feel like a kid at christmas.

Rep.Mitchell.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Right on dude.
Nothing wrong with experimenting.
Have fun smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
SLR
most of the cheaper adjustables are no longer adjustable after a few hundred rounds, they get carboned up and that's it

Last edited by hillbill; 01/24/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,528
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.