J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JOG
My vote goes to K-frames and avoiding 125-grain bullets. 2nd place goes to the L-frame Mountain Gun, but that's too specific.

Yeah, the 125 grainers are likely the main culprit for shorter service life in K-Frames. They tend to really wear away the forcing cone. When they first agreed to make the K-Frame in .357 Magnum, what most cops were using were 158 gainers at lower velocities. Likely these are easier on forcing cones .

The 158 grain bullets were in the 1450 FPS range when e M19 first appeared

It's not the velocity alone - the main culprit is the shorter length. The longer, heavier 158 grain bullets align the cylinder and forcing cone like a range rod protecting the forcing cone from radial stress. The shorter 125 grain bullets can pitch/yaw just enough to accelerate wear on the forcing cone, and the K-frames forcing cone with the flat spot on the bottom is the revolver's weakest link.

ĺ

Spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just watched an S&W 66-2 3" very nice gun with box go for $1525. Dang, the average guy don't have a chance any more.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What is the difference between the SW 65 and 66?

One other question.....for you that have shot your revolvers a considerable number of rounds, do you have much flame cutting of the bottom of the top strap directly above the cylinder-forcing cone gap? Does it concern you any? I have read that flame cutting stops at a certain point.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I just watched an S&W 66-2 3" very nice gun with box go for $1525. Dang, the average guy don't have a chance any more.

The 3" goes for collector prices because they made so few of them. Try for a 2.5" one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bluestem
What is the difference between the SW 65 and 66?

The 65 has fixed sights and exposed ejector rod, while the 66 has adjustable sights and an underlug protecting the ejector rod.

The 65 is essentially the bull barrel, stainless, Model 10 in .357 Magnum. The Model 66 was designed to look like a miniaturized Model 27.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Those 1/2" longer ejector rods are a lot more expensive. $800-900 more. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

If I ever spent anywhere near that kind of money on a 66, it would have to be a 66 No Dash or 66-1, which were the pinned and recessed versions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If I ever spent anywhere near that kind of money on a 66, it would have to be a 66 No Dash or 66-1, which were the pinned and recessed versions.

Excellent choices. But, you won't have to spend anywhere near that much on either of them.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Excellent choices. But, you won't have to spend anywhere near that much on either of them.

Yes, I check GB pretty regularly for a used, but excellent condition 66 No Dash or 66-1 in 4 inch. I figure I will eventually get one for 650-750 bucks. Matter of fact, I saw a 66-1 I liked recently, dilly-dallied around on it, and someone else grabbed it on a But It Now for $650. It did not have the original wood grips, but that isn't a deal-breaker.

Last edited by bluestem; 01/19/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Interesting thread. I've always been a 44 guy so I haven't paid a lot of attention to 357s. I have a 3" sp101 that I really like and a little scadnium j frame that's so light it's almost unbearable with full 357 loads.

I have some S&W 44s I really like including a mtn gun, a 5" classic and a 329pd that always goes with me bow hunting. I have a 45 colt mtn gun I carry a bit too.

The first pistol I shot was a 6" python so the reintroduction has me thinking about 357 again. I've had a few 327s lately and that's a fun little round but I sometimes wonder if I should simplify a bit and get rid of 32s and get a nice 357 in the 4" python size range. Good info on the k's and L's.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes, I check GB pretty regularly for a used, but excellent condition 66 No Dash or 66-1 in 4 inch. I figure I will eventually get one for 650-750 bucks. Matter of fact, I saw a 66-1 I liked recently, dilly-dallied around on it, and someone else grabbed it on a But It Now for $650.

$650 is actually a very righteous price, nowadays.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Yes, I check GB pretty regularly for a used, but excellent condition 66 No Dash or 66-1 in 4 inch. I figure I will eventually get one for 650-750 bucks. Matter of fact, I saw a 66-1 I liked recently, dilly-dallied around on it, and someone else grabbed it on a But It Now for $650.

$650 is actually a very righteous price, nowadays.

Yep, still kicking myself for screwing around and losing it.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've said many times on here that I think the Smith and Wesson 686 is the best 357 Mag. ever made. I will not deviate from that. If you like the blued version, it's just as good. I think the 686 is better due to my preference overall for stainless steel, but you could say the 686/586 is the best.

No argument here!
This 686-4 3" is one of the best shooting S&W's I've ever owned.
WFR

Attached Images
686-4s.jpg (39.3 KB, 231 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best is pretty subjective, but I don't think you can have a discussion of "best" .357 without including the Korth and the Manurhin .357's. Both are substantially better than anything made in the US presently. Then again, they cost as much as a summer vacation, so it's no wonder they get left out of the "best" lists.

Arguing the merits of one over the other is pointless... I'll just list the one's that blow my skirt up.

1 - Absolute favorite .357 on planet Earth, and could live without all others... S&W Model 19. Give me a 4" with all the desirable features and I'm VERY content. Despite it's flaws, I just love that revolver!
2 - Python - Like a supermodel who can also shoot...Who wouldn't want to 'date' that one?

3 - Colt Trooper - Probably the most overlooked .357 in history, yet it's one of the best. I hope to own one of these someday.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Best is pretty subjective, but I don't think you can have a discussion of "best" .357 without including the Korth and the Manurhin .357's. Both are substantially better than anything made in the US presently. Then again, they cost as much as a summer vacation, so it's no wonder they get left out of the "best" lists.

Arguing the merits of one over the other is pointless... I'll just list the one's that blow my skirt up.

1 - Absolute favorite .357 on planet Earth, and could live without all others... S&W Model 19. Give me a 4" with all the desirable features and I'm VERY content. Despite it's flaws, I just love that revolver!
2 - Python - Like a supermodel who can also shoot...Who wouldn't want to 'date' that one?

3 - Colt Trooper - Probably the most overlooked .357 in history, yet it's one of the best. I hope to own one of these someday.

I didn't mention the Korth or Manchurian because NGAF about them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Hell very few in this country have ever even seen one much less shot one

Last edited by jwp475; 01/22/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Hell very few in thus country have ever even seen one much less shot one

The Korth is very smooth and accurate. On double action shooting it feels like it has hydraulics instead of mechanical components. But...

The tolerances are very close. If to go to your range with practice loads using Unique powder on a cold day, you are lucky to get 100 shots off without cylinder drag.

One of the best buys I ever made. A fella desperate for money sold me his convertible for $1000. It was almost brand new. You get lucky sometimes.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Hell very few in this country have ever even seen one much less shot one

Exactly.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've long been a fan of S&W revolvers. But for a relatively compact .357, I really like the old Ruger Security/Service Six models.

They've very strong for their frame size.

I've got an old 4" Police Service Six made in 1976 with a very smooth action. It was the handgun I kept close for a long time. At one point I put it in the case and replaced it with a series of auto loaders. But I got it back out recently.

I'm much more acclimated to revolvers and shoot them better.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My woods carry is either a 66-1 w/4” barrel or a 65-5 w/3” barrel. I have another 66-1 that was new in box when I bought it a year or so ago that just sits in the safe until my grandson gets old enough to use it.

My daughter was gifted a 67 no dash a couple of Christmas ago and she shoots it very well.

I have 3 M28 and while they are nice to shoot, the weight usually means they stay home.

CK
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
270 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.