Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Yes that the dilemma. Room and heating the tipi, but I'm just a little iffy on the strength. Oh well maybe I'll flip a coin..

If setup properly Tipi's are plenty strong! As is a tent!

I think you need to figure out and decide on which one fits your needs more. Or buy both and have options!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Three days with another hunter is enough for me in a tent like this!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I make them bring their own tent!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
I am not packing a Teepee climbing mountains or on extended backpacking trips. As I am not packing a Two man tent for extended stays for a base camp to hunt out of.
MCH:
I agree.
So when, what situation, is the tipi the best alternative?
KC
For me it is the best when I am packing into a big drainage to hunt for an extended period of time. Like a week or more. Were I want to be able to heat up the tent to dry clothes and equipment. Were I want to be able to stand up, spread out my gear, and have ample room for multiple hunters if I am not soloing. Basically a Base Camp to hunt out of that provides me a little more comfort than a tent.

I use and don't mind a tent at all hunting for a few days. But anymore than a few days I want a big happy space! smile

Yeah. This makes sense.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
The more I look at the kuiu storm, the more it makes since for a packable 4 season tent (double vestibule/entry, and fairly lightweight). Although a 6-7lb tipi/stove setup would be sweet.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/30/19.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You also might want to see what Stone Glacier comes out with. I’m thinking they are going to be doing a wood stove compatible shelter.

Ed T

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will not give up the tipi/Ti stove combo anytime soon. So many times I’ve enjoyed the warmth of a stove and the ability to dry gear. Currently using an old Seek Outside BCS and EdT Ti stove. Those things have been with me many elk and deer seasons in CO.

I would like to upgrade the tent to one with easier access around the stove. The stove is starting to show its age as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prm
I will not give up the tipi/Ti stove combo anytime soon. So many times I’ve enjoyed the warmth of a stove and the ability to dry gear. Currently using an old Seek Outside BCS and EdT Ti stove. Those things have been with me many elk and deer seasons in CO.

I would like to upgrade the tent to one with easier access around the stove. The stove is starting to show its age as well.

What's the total weight of your setup? The total weight of the tipi, inner nest, and pole I'm looking at is 4.9lbs. With the stove it's about 7.5lbs.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My tent is 3.4 (that’s the bag with everything in it) and the stove is 2.3lbs, again that’s total weight as it goes into my pack.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So can anyone tell me what happened to the guy that ran SeekOutside?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Something happened?

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think I read where someone died in the Ti Goat family business, not so long ago.

I didn't hear anything about Seek Outside.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry, my bad. Wham Blasted used to post and made tents. That is who I was thinking of.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just looked at Stone Glacier - nothing mentioned compatible with a stove. I need a 4 season with a stove.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I just looked at Stone Glacier - nothing mentioned compatible with a stove. I need a 4 season with a stove.

More of a base camp but I believe the beginning of things to come.
https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/tents/products/skydome-6p?utm_campaign=2020%20Product%20Launch%20%28PyumRf%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Stone%20Glacier%20Mailing%20List&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJydW5zbXRuczU5QG1zbi5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJIdzdkY0wifQ%3D%3D

Ed T

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That Stone Glacier is 31lbs. Probably nice in lieu of a wall tent at the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a shall we say interesting night at 12,000 feet elev in Oct in CO a few years back with a tipi. In fairness, it was very exposed. Came down the mtn and bought a Hilleberg 3 person. If no wind forecast, tipi is nice, stove is great. If windy and no place to get out of it, Hilleberg for me. So in other words, buy both.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Had a shall we say interesting night at 12,000 feet elev in Oct in CO a few years back with a tipi. In fairness, it was very exposed. Came down the mtn and bought a Hilleberg 3 person. If no wind forecast, tipi is nice, stove is great. If windy and no place to get out of it, Hilleberg for me. So in other words, buy both.

In time, that's probably exactly what will happen. Barring anything ground breaking, I'm probably going with either a hilleberg nallo 2 (maybe 3) or the kuiu storm star.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
We use either a Hilleberg Nalo 3 GT or a Golite SL 4 modified to use 6” Ti Goat cylinder stove on our yearly Stone sheep hunts here in BC.
In 2016 we were camped high up on the side of a mountain with no cover and a storm hit over night. It was the worst storm I’ve ever experienced. We were using the Hilleberg. Extreme wind with driving snow. One corner of the tent pulled up in the wind in the middle of the night. We were trying to hold everything down from the inside in complete darkness. Finally got it restaked but it had badly bent one pole and luckily didn’t break it. It was below freezing but the humidity was so high and the wind so violent that it was a constant mist storm inside the tent. All we could do was zip up in our bags and shiver the night away hoping the tent would hold up. Our bags were very wet and we were very close to hypothermia. Glad it only lasted one night. Got up the next morning to snow everywhere. We decided to head out of the mountains and it snowed and rained for the next 5 days but without much wind.
Long winded story but I don’t think the Golite would have stood up to that, and the results could have been deadly. Ever since then I just can’t bring myself to take tipi and stove on a sheep/goat hunt.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/17/20.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338

A friend has one of those Hilleberg Nalo 3 tents, and I've examined it closely.

I thought the layout was really good, and the workmanship fantastic.

I was damn impressed.

Later, I had a chance to try to rip a piece of the special material the tent is made from in a store that had a display set up. Not easy to do, I can tell ya'!

John

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
the workmanship fantastic.
At the prices they charge, it had better be fantastic. You pay for quality.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,585
Posts18,454,262
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.