"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hoppes and old west snake oil !! they should make a hoppes smelling deodorant ! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Loggah
they should make a hoppes smelling deodorant ! grin

Hoppes #9 Air Freshener, 3pk/$9.99, Amazon. Shove one in your shirt pocket.

Hoppes Air Freshner

"Every day above ground is a good day."
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thats pretty funny! grin i suppose i could just dump some onmy hat!!!! grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have never seen or heard of a chain saw collection before. Closest to it would be guys who use them a lot and have a number of worn out CS's tossed in the back of a building in various levels of disassembly (robbed of parts). Interesting collection of saws.

Hoppes-Love the smell of the stuff. One of my foreman's on my heavy equipment crew always had a Hoppes Air Freshener in his pickup. Told him that's the only reason I got in his PU. My wife can always tell when I've been cleaning guns due to the 'Colleterial Damage' of Hoppes getting on my clothes and fingers. The 'old stuff' back when I was a kid in the 60's even smelled better than the current stuff. Called Hoppe's once and asked them why the change, they denied any change in formula or intentional smell, but there was. Have had a number of gun owners tell me a different smell from 'back in the day'. I came across an old Hoppe's kit several years ago complete with a unopened bottle of the 'old smell'. Treat myself to using it once in a while, sort of like a rare expensive bottle of whiskey, just metering it out once in a while. The Mrs likes the smell of Hoppe's.

I like the smell Ballistol too, an excellent bore cleaner. Use it all of the time with my black powder guns. A lot of the time I'll mix it with water in certain ratio's, but if ya let it set to long, the oil and water will separate and can be a PITA to remix. One time I had the brilliant idea to heat up the Ballistol/water mix that I had in a old small glass Hoppe's bottle, the type with the small neck (funnel style) opening. Stuck it in the microwave (in kitchen), set it for several minutes, but didn't intend to leave it that long. A phone call came and I lost track of what I "should be attending to" and all of a sudden heard a loud pop. Went over to the microwave and the solution had became over heated and the small funnel style top of the bottle acted sort like a jet engine rear restrictor likeness and the water/Ballistol shot out of there like a volcano eruption. Entire interior of the microwave was coated, not to mention the whole house smelling like a Ballistol factory. Before I could get things cleaned up, the Mrs walked in the door. I'll just say I was ordered never to do that again. Thread hijack, but had to say.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh laugh laugh

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Show / tell about the boiler door again. I think that's cool!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lot of fun enjoying the vault pics on cold snowy evening. Thanks!

Bruce
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see you are the proud owner of a "Brush King"! What an awesome tool! I use mine every year. My Dad got it from a little old lady who was his dog groomer. She used it like a string trimmer. I was pumped 'cause I was looking for a tool just like that. Fired it up and went to work. I was very disappointed. It wouldn't do much of anything. Then I realized someone had put the blade on backwards!

I had a lot of respect for the woman who carried that thing around, even if she wasn't using it as designed.

An armed society is a polite society.
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heres a picture of the front of my vault,mini-museum building. The boiler door is a DM DILLON that came from a local sawmill. The sawmill was built in 1917 and had a logging railroad that ran behind my house.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Brush King in the corner of my shed. Got it from a highway dept. auction back in the 70’s. Used it in my younger days before they invented lighter tools. Are they worth anything ?

Last edited by shawlerbrook; 01/18/20.
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not really worth very much,The one i have was given to me,just a early brush cutter. Most of the newer ones are a lot safer with a different style blade. Don

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That building is just cool. What a great place to hang around. Probably could spend the morning just walking around the outside, looking at stuff. What does that boiler door weigh?

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The door weighs about 600 lbs. heres a few pictures inside, lots of odds and ends! grin

!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whole new meaning to words "man cave"

Don has some really nice historic stuff , about the early years of logging in the northeast

plab

Gotta love them 303's
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What a great place to hang around. Walk carefully around that boiler door, if it ever falls, well...... grin

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Few more pics. logging history stuff

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was at an auction and they had a scale like the one hanging over the ice tongs. The sale was in a field at the bottom of a hill. I wanted it to hang from our skinning tree in WV, just to get a rough weight of our deer. I noticed there were several pieces of cedar furniture that had been burnt on one side. Then I heard someone say, "it's a shame the way the little girl died". I looked up on the hill and saw the burnt out remains of a brick house just over the tree tops. The husband divorced his wife on the grounds she was crazy. The courts agreed and gave him custody of the baby. He remarried and was living in the house. The crazy wife remarried. She got the idea if she couldn't have the baby, he wouldn't either. So, she got her new husband and 14 year old step daughter, and broke into the house, killed the three people in it, then set it on fire. I got so creeped out, I just left. Sorry for the side track, it's the scale's fault.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe, That a terrible story, there are some nuts in this world !!!! I wouldn't worry about side tracking, i've sidetracked my whole thread !!! crazy crazy grin. few more pics.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Been away a couple of days Great to see the Vault again! Ill bet iv handled about 80 % of those rifles! and have gotten to shoot a few also! Did you Post the Caddy Lumber Calander for me? I think of it alot! Have to Bribe Cheryl to Copy it for me some day! Don and Cheryl are 2 of the best folks that you will ever meet! I plan to Visit again some day!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.