Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That'd be Northern Knives. Been a while since I've been in there.

Gear Shed in Homer used to have Kydex sheaths that fit them. Cost more than the knives, but worth it. I made a few kydex sheaths too. They are pretty easy.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. Couldn’t remember the name.

Also can’t remember which of these sheaths came ftom there and which came from a fish gear shop.

White handle knife is a Dexter but similar to the vickies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
at some point someone was selling the Vic paring knives w/ a kydex sheath- I picked up one

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A knife is that last place I want or need to shed weight. To each their own I suppose.

Sort of like the cyclist with carbon frame and components, and heavy wheels. Just doesn't add up and make sense.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MCH, I don't see how that sentence/analogy works, though I agree about the heavy wheels.

A knife is an excellent place for most guys to shed weight IMHO. Low-hanging fruit. Unless you are full-on bushcrafting why would any backpack hunter need a heavy knife?

Wife and I are moving our backpacking gear towards ultralight so yes, I'm an ounce weenie. smile They add up.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
MCH, I don't see how that sentence/analogy works, though I agree about the heavy wheels.

A knife is an excellent place for most guys to shed weight IMHO. Low-hanging fruit. Unless you are full-on bushcrafting why would any backpack hunter need a heavy knife?

Wife and I are moving our backpacking gear towards ultralight so yes, I'm an ounce weenie. smile They add up.

If you want to skimp on a subpar designed knife that's on you.

A knife is probably the most used tool you will have. The minimal weight you are saving results in poor design. Weight can also aid in cutting. A proper knife for backpacking isn't heavy enough to shave weight on and even if you do shave a little its nothing you will ever notice. Add to the fact a knife to be used should be carried on ones belt where it is always in reach and handy. Not in a pack! So weight isn't an issue.

If you need to shave weight that much then you have way to much trash already in your pack. It will serve you much better to cut that trash out of your pack than from the tool you will use more than any other.

A great place to shave weight is actually your pack itself! I have hiked the AT and about 2/3's of the PCT. I have climbed a number of Peaks in the US and Abroad, never have I said to myself dam my knife should be lighter. Never!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Couldn't agree more Jeff.

Most of my friends have gone to the Havalon Pranta for BP hunting. For 3 oz's you have a knive with 4 extra blades. Me, I've settled on the 1.6oz Opinel no.8 for hunting (available in carbon or stainless), and a small 1.1oz Arkansas stone for touchup.

If I'm backpacking and fishing I use the .9 oz Opinel no.6, otherwise a little Victorinox Classic at less than at .9 oz is ideal. I've never seen the need for more of a knife than the Opinel no.6 for backpacking, and it would work on an elk too, but I prefer the fuller sized no.8...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Two I usually pack are a Moki Banff and a BM Steepcountry.

2.7 and 3.7 oz’s respectively.

I guess if one were to get super weight weenie a Vicky in Kydex would save a few oz’s. I’d want two though. Maybe hacksaw off a short 4 or 6” section of a rod like this to sharpen if carrying just one.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/de...ul-KN5wIVkiCtBh2AJAG7EAQYAiABEgJnl_D_BwE
Being hollow it wouldn’t weigh much.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I use a knife very little when backpacking my tiny Gerber has got me through every trip . But i could use something that held a better edge - or i could be more mindful of not abusing the edge .
I've never needed any of the ''bushcrafting'' knives or batoning skills while backpacking .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will qualify my answer of the Benchmade Altitude and Havalon, that if I’m hot tenting I add a Fallkniven S1 (and a light saw) to process wood- the S1 is heavy (not crazy heavy- 6 oz) but much lighter than a small hatchet

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I use a knife very little when backpacking my tiny Gerber has got me through every trip . But i could use something that held a better edge - or i could be more mindful of not abusing the edge .

Sort of a contradiction! If you use it so little why isn't it holding an edge? That little of abuse should be no problem.

Three inch blade has done the job for me no problem. When I am burning wood I carry a Silky Zubat. Light and small enough and can cut anything I need cutting.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Benchmade Altitude. Love that thing! I’ve deboned an elk and a Mule deer and it’s still fine.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Deer and elk: havalon + 3 extra blades, Vicky, cheapo pull-thru hand sharpener for Vicky.

I sharpen the Victorinox prior to trip via lansky to where it takes off swaths of arm hair without effort.

Moose: add a knife with some backbone, because the havalon bogs down in thick hide when skinning.

I wouldn't be without a Victorinox when boning an animal - the flexible blade makes life grand.

Brad's Opinel units look interesting.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

If you want to skimp on a subpar designed knife that's on you.

A knife is probably the most used tool you will have. The minimal weight you are saving results in poor design. Weight can also aid in cutting. A proper knife for backpacking isn't heavy enough to shave weight on and even if you do shave a little its nothing you will ever notice. Add to the fact a knife to be used should be carried on ones belt where it is always in reach and handy. Not in a pack! So weight isn't an issue.

If you need to shave weight that much then you have way to much trash already in your pack. It will serve you much better to cut that trash out of your pack than from the tool you will use more than any other.

A great place to shave weight is actually your pack itself! I have hiked the AT and about 2/3's of the PCT. I have climbed a number of Peaks in the US and Abroad, never have I said to myself dam my knife should be lighter. Never!

I cannot wear anything on a belt while backpacking, due to waistbelt interference. Strapping things to the waistbelt might work, but then I'd want it with the backpack off. The bino chest purse is a good place for such things.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Vek

I cannot wear anything on a belt while backpacking, due to waistbelt interference. Strapping things to the waistbelt might work, but then I'd want it with the backpack off. The bino chest purse is a good place for such things.

I carry there as well while hunting. Backpacking I carry fixed in the lid and folder in my pocket. Not sure how I manage all that weight, but I do. smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
LOL.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The new Benchmade Mini Bugout weighs in @ 1.5oz and is available in an orange color. I may have to try one!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just realized that the old school Gerber Pixie that I have might be the perfect backpacking knife.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Plus, tons of style points!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Odd that Havalon blades have not made it into this thread. If I’m big game hunting, I have one. If not, I have a little liner lock folder.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
588 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.