-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there any way I could take a Tikka and turn it into a .300 PRC? I believe the action is the same for all calibers and barrels can be replaced or re-bored. I would really like it to end up like my Tikka CTR stainless 6.5 Creed but with a 26" barrel and a muzzle break and keep it light as possible. So I am wondering if the Tikka CTR could be used as a donor and have it re-bored or buy a custom barrel.

Would it be possible to do the same thing but make it into 7mm WSM? Would the Tikka CTR mags work with a .300 PCR?

I am looking for some thing that is a serious over 500 yard rifle that is capable of killing a moose or caribou. I know I could get some more millage out of my custom "Stainless Classic" 338 Winny and the 225 grain TTSX bullet. But the barrel is 23 inches and the case only holds so much powder and I would need a bigger and heavier scope.

I looked at a 26" barreled Christian Arms rifle in .300 PRC and really liked it and the Light weight, but the darn bolt won't lock down on safe when a round is chambered and I want an action that does. Maybe I am making to big of a deal about the bolt locking down, thousands of hunters and shooters don't seem to care.

I have and e-mail out to LAW Rifles asking if that wonderful 704 action will work with a .300 PRC. It is the middle of a cold and dark Alaskan winter and cabin fever must be setting in.

I have a heavy Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHSi that would go on the rifle, which I why I want a light weight rifle.

Opinions appreciated.

GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You ever consider a .300 or .30-.378 Weatherby? Either will kill it as far as you can hit it. A Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight would fill the bill and cut some drama. .300 PRC will be a “huh?” In a couple of years. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
1Akshooter,

The .300 PRC isn't all that big a case, essentially being a sort of beltless .300 Winchester Magnum--but the maximum SAAMI overall cartridge length is 3.7", as opposed to the .3.35 " or so of the .300 Winchester. This allows very heavy, high-BC bullets, such as the heavier Hornady A-Tips, to be seated well forward. You could build one on any standard action that will accommodate the .300 Winchester, but there wouldn't be much point, as the bullets would have to be seated deeper.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend just ordered one from HS Precision at the Dallas safari Club Show. HS Precision makes great rifles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would go for the Christianson Arms rifle. It looks like the Nula safety could be added to it. It is a sort of three stage safety that allows cycling the action on safe and I believe it does lock the bolt but verify this first. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...600-700-3-function-safety-prod13788.aspx

For real easy and inexpensive I would just get a 300 WM Tikka and put a longer magazine on it if available or the 300 short mag in a long action.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What everyone says makes sense. So is the Tikka action long enough to permit seating high BC bullets "out there"? Maybe a 7mm WSM is a better idea for me since I don't have a 7mm any thing. Maybe I could just get a .300 WSM and put another barrel on it?

Darn cold dark winters.....

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lots of bottom metal options for the Tikka now days. I myself would go 30 Nosler with Mountain Tactical bottom metal. You can load up to a 3.6ish oal. Better brass if you go that route.

The prc is a no go in a tikka unless you hand load.

If you are in the market for a complete rifle, I’d go with a Howa. They make excellent rifles and will get you in the 300prc game economically.

The Howa action is rock solid and they come with an excellent factory trigger, 3 positive safety that locks the bolt down.

Last edited by akaSawDoctor; 01/18/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since it's a long winter, look at a switchlug from West Texas Ordinance and do a switch barrel. Then you would only be limited by the case head and your imagination. grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since you don't have a 7 you need to fix that. I would look at the 7 PRC, 7 LRM and the 27 Nosler. Light and long range are some what contradictory. I shot a friends T3 light in 300 Short mag and it was too much for both of us, he developed a flinch and blew an easy shot on an Elk and then put a muzzle brake on which made it really unpleasant to shoot from a covered bench. I have no problem with my 8 lb. 300 Winchester. Dropping down to a 7mm and 175-190 grain bullets is a significant improvement on the recoil end of things. Not sure about the Nosler it would be about the same as a 300 with maybe sharper recoil motion. The 7 WSM is a good one too and even better on the recoil factor. The long VLD bullets seem to do well in a velocity window around 2,850 to 3,050 fps so a lot of horse power is not needed. The 7 WSM can get to the lower velocity node with the 180s easily.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,197
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.