Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 243 and deer seems to be a never ending discussion. Deer here can weigh 75 pounds for an 8 month old whitetail to 300 + pounds for a big mule deer. With proper bullet selection and proper bullet placement and some common sense regarding range it is an adequate deer caliber. I have had good results with it but my longest shot was a little over 200 yards. The biggest deer I have shot with it was a mule deer that likely weighed around 200 pounds at a range of about 125 yards.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
sounds like those who have had troubles need to spend more time at the range, self admittedly so. there is a very small margin of where caliber can trump shot placement, such as a diaphragm hit being called here as a "liver hit". I've killed probably close to 50 big game animals with a 243 ranging from turkeys to elk. (turkeys are considered big game here). mostly deer and antelope though. I have never lost one, and never had to chase one a great distance. in fact I can't remember any going more than 30 yards the vast majority dropped in their tracks. I used primarily the 95 NBT for the vast majority, including 4 deer just this year. all drt, although my sons mule deer doe ran 30-35 yards with a "liver hit" and was dead before we walked up to her 5 minutes later. learning anatomy and learning your rifle and practicing is the key. buying a 30-06 and being sloppy shouldn't be the goal, but if that's what your skill level requires to get a marginal edge then I say go for it, less wounded deer out there the better. just call it what it is and not blame the instrument. ymmv

LOL. The self proclaimed expert has pulled out his broad brush and begun to paint.....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Many years ago, I shot a doe antelope the opening day of season.. It was the evening, and she was drinking at a small pond.. I shot her with a 100 gr. Rem. Factory load though both lungs.. At the shot, she took off over the prairie for at least 200 yards.. It was flat and it was easy to follow where she went.. Finally, she went end over end.. Checking the trail there was little blood for the first 50 yard or so.. Had she disappeared from sight, finding her could have presented a real problem. Years before that, I shot a yearling antelope through both lungs.. It was a winter hunt hunt and very cold.. I decided to sit in the vehicle and warm up.. The antelope were following a ridge just opposite my spot about 200 yards away.. Finally this little buck came trailing up the ridge.. When he was opposite me,, I got a solid rest and shot for the lungs... No reaction.. He started slowly walking up the ridge.. I couldn’t believe I missed, but he just walked off... I figured if I missed that shot why try again.. I watched him walk up the ridge for maybe 300 to 400 yards... He stood around, and finally lay down.. I noticed his head was drooping so I went over to the spot where I had shot him.. In a short distance there was blood..Getting up the hill to the buck, he was dead shot though both lungs.. He gave no indication that he had been hit.. I have had this happen with deer also.. Not many times, but a few.. I never lost a animal with the .243 or 6mm.. I have had excellent performance many times.. But it is the less than perfect performance that troubles me with this caliber.. For the record, I usually shoot between 1000 to 5000 varmints per year.. So “range” time is not the issue.. I cannot get over the number of people who say the game was drt. An instant kill is usually a spinal shot..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by broomd
The one deer my daughter shot with her .243 we lost and later found. It was a good shot in the vitals, but one wouldn't have known it. We were in a two person stand and I never even saw that deer flinch, it just ran off like it wasn't hit at all.
We looked for hours in heavy grass, but ultimately the ravens revealed it four-five days later. It had gone 500-600 yards.

My only experience with a .243 and big game. I'll not set anyone up with less than a .260-.270 for deer-sized game. Personal preference.

The 243 works great, until it doesn't. Kind of like riding a bicycle no handed.

I feel the same way about Sierra bullets for shooting game.

For nearly 20 years I killed deer with the 85 grain .243" and 90 grain .257" Sierra GameKing BTHPs 'cause they were accurate and deadly. Then I had 4 bullet failures where the bullets disintegrated on contact and failed to penetrate trough the rib cage. I lost confidence in Sierra bullets for shooting game and no longer load them for that purpose. Now I load Barnes, Hornady, Nolser, and Speer for game and restrict my use of Sierras for shooting paper and varmints.

I started my daughter with a 260 shooting 120 grain BT handloads and my son with a 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 125 grain Deer Season XP factory loads. With good bullet placement, all of the deer that they had shot with these bullets have been 1-shot kills and all have been recovered. When they start hunting on their own and have to make their own decisions as to when, or when not, to shoot, their success ratio might change.

All that said, close to 100 deer that I've tagged with .243" bullets have fallen to 80 grain Federal factory loads that Federal does not recommend for shooting game. I used them because we bought a pile of 243 and 6mm REM factory ammo for around $3 per box and it is what we had on hand. It worked fine on behind the shoulder lung shots in situations where I could wait for a deer to present itself broadside and only minimal penetration was required, not something that I'd recommend to the average/casual deer hunter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Many years ago, I shot a doe antelope the opening day of season.. It was the evening, and she was drinking at a small pond.. I shot her with a 100 gr. Rem. Factory load though both lungs.. At the shot, she took off over the prairie for at least 200 yards.. It was flat and it was easy to follow where she went.. Finally, she went end over end.. Checking the trail there was little blood for the first 50 yard or so.. Had she disappeared from sight, finding her could have presented a real problem. Years before that, I shot a yearling antelope through both lungs.. It was a winter hunt hunt and very cold.. I decided to sit in the vehicle and warm up.. The antelope were following a ridge just opposite my spot about 200 yards away.. Finally this little buck came trailing up the ridge.. When he was opposite me,, I got a solid rest and shot for the lungs... No reaction.. He started slowly walking up the ridge.. I couldn’t believe I missed, but he just walked off... I figured if I missed that shot why try again.. I watched him walk up the ridge for maybe 300 to 400 yards... He stood around, and finally lay down.. I noticed his head was drooping so I went over to the spot where I had shot him.. In a short distance there was blood..Getting up the hill to the buck, he was dead shot though both lungs.. He gave no indication that he had been hit.. I have had this happen with deer also.. Not many times, but a few.. I never lost a animal with the .243 or 6mm.. I have had excellent performance many times.. But it is the less than perfect performance that troubles me with this caliber.. For the record, I usually shoot between 1000 to 5000 varmints per year.. So “range” time is not the issue.. I cannot get over the number of people who say the game was drt. An instant kill is usually a spinal shot..

The heaviest whitetail that I've ever shot was drt, literally dead in its tracks, shot behind the shoulder with a 110 grain AB from a 25 WSSM. He was following 6 or 7 does when I shot him and I expected him to travel a bit before dying. When I didn't find him where I thought that he'd be, I went back to where he was when I fired and found him dead in his tracks. It looked as though he had been tipped over and hadn't moved at all. He was so big that I could hardly move him and had to cut him in half to load him. Without the head and cape the rest of him weighed in at around 270 lbs., so the live weight must have been over 300 lbs. I've never seen so quick a kill before or since. Just one of those WTF happened here things that can't be explained.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My experience:

.243 Win + 95gr and 100gr Nosler Partitions have worked well on two to three dozen KY White Tails. Mostly DRT's. None traveled more than ~30 yards. Never caught one.

.243 Win +55gr-58gr Varmint bullet was sub-optimal on an 80lb pit bull. 3,500fps tight behind the shoulder at 30 ft. Ran off at the shot. Buzzards found it next day approx 200 yards out.

After the pit bull incident, decided that 95gr NPT would be my "do all" bullet for the .243. YMMV...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
sounds like those who have had troubles need to spend more time at the range, self admittedly so. there is a very small margin of where caliber can trump shot placement, learning anatomy and learning your rifle and practicing is the key. buying a 30-06 and being sloppy shouldn't be the goal, but if that's what your skill level requires to get a marginal edge then I say go for it, less wounded deer out there the better. just call it what it is and not blame the instrument. ymmv

Beat me to it....

Except I'd say YMWV- your mileage WON'T vary ....

There is NO substitute for trigger time...lots of it, and from hunting positions, not from a bench.

THAT is how you avoid a recipe for failure..

Ammo is the cheapest part of ANY hunt these days, go spend some money on it and use it up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
sounds like those who have had troubles need to spend more time at the range, self admittedly so. there is a very small margin of where caliber can trump shot placement, learning anatomy and learning your rifle and practicing is the key. buying a 30-06 and being sloppy shouldn't be the goal, but if that's what your skill level requires to get a marginal edge then I say go for it, less wounded deer out there the better. just call it what it is and not blame the instrument. ymmv

Beat me to it....

Except I'd say YMWV- your mileage WON'T vary ....

There is NO substitute for trigger time...lots of it, and from hunting positions, not from a bench.

THAT is how you avoid a recipe for failure..

Ammo is the cheapest part of ANY hunt these days, go spend some money on it and use it up.

I agree. I see people call “flyers” on the range yet NEVER would never admit they’ve shot a “flyer” on an animal. Instead, it’s always the rifle or the scope or the caliber or the bullet or...

Anyone who’s going to be hunting should educate themselves to a degree on terminal performance of billets, and how bullet construction will influence performance.

It always makes sense to shoot a good bullet. Which doesn’t have to be the most expensive bullet but shouldn’t be the cheapest bullet.

Then practice.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The .243 works for me, Deer, Elk Pigs, and Exotic's, .243 kills way above it's pay grade when used with a common sense, and a good bullet. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My Grandfather had bought a Savage 99 .243. He shot a buck with it around 150 yards. The buck just stood there looking around. He couldn't believe he missed but he shot again. The buck took a step and started quivering and collapsed. The bullets were side by side behind the shoulder right where he was aiming. He said he never needed to shoot one twice with his '06 and said he would never use that 243 on deer again. And he never did.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chuckster243
the deer's dead and recovered so you can't really call it a failure.

Respectfully disagree.

Just because a bullet kills doesn't mean it worked as designed to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike

My Grandfather had bought a Savage 99 .243. He shot a buck with it around 150 yards. The buck just stood there looking around. He couldn't believe he missed but he shot again. The buck took a step and started quivering and collapsed. The bullets were side by side behind the shoulder right where he was aiming. He said he never needed to shoot one twice with his '06 and said he would never use that 243 on deer again. And he never did.

I have friends in northern New England who feel that the 30-30, 32 WS, and 35 REM are much better/quicker deer killers at the short ranges that they typically shoot than any cartridge shooting a .224", .243", .or 257" diameter bullet. I'd estimate that 2/3 of their shots are taken at running deer that they've jumped in thick cover, so they don't have time to pick their shot and are aiming at any part of a deer that is brown and has antlers.

Different situation, different requirements.

My first 2 deer rifles were a Ruger 44 International for still-hunting in thick cover where a rifle capable of delivering multiple quick shots was preferred and a Reminton 660 in 6mm REM for over-watching open spaces where there would usually be plenty of time to pick my shot. It seems as logical a choice in 2020 as it did in 1968/69.

2 of the best hunters who I've ever known, both women, hunted deer with 243s, a Remington 600 Mohawk and a Winchester 88 Carbine.

Funny thing is that I don't feel particularly old, but when I think about how old I really am, it is kind of frightening to think of all the time/opportunities that I've squandered.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen Ingwe. They all work well until they don't.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've yet to have an issue killing geer with a .243 or even a .223 for that matter and I've killed a sizeable pile with both. The farthest I ever had a deer go after a solid double lung shot was with a 1 oz, 12 gauge slug and the second farthest was with a 200 gr. .35 Remington. No lung shot deer ever went close to as far as those two with the .243 or .223.... Guess 12 gauge slugs and 200 gr .35's must be inadequate for deer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
sounds like those who have had troubles need to spend more time at the range, self admittedly so. there is a very small margin of where caliber can trump shot placement, such as a diaphragm hit being called here as a "liver hit". I've killed probably close to 50 big game animals with a 243 ranging from turkeys to elk. (turkeys are considered big game here). mostly deer and antelope though. I have never lost one, and never had to chase one a great distance. in fact I can't remember any going more than 30 yards the vast majority dropped in their tracks. I used primarily the 95 NBT for the vast majority, including 4 deer just this year. all drt, although my sons mule deer doe ran 30-35 yards with a "liver hit" and was dead before we walked up to her 5 minutes later. learning anatomy and learning your rifle and practicing is the key. buying a 30-06 and being sloppy shouldn't be the goal, but if that's what your skill level requires to get a marginal edge then I say go for it, less wounded deer out there the better. just call it what it is and not blame the instrument. ymmv

LOL. The self proclaimed expert has pulled out his broad brush and begun to paint.....

He has experience with the cartridge on a variety of game and and further cites the bullet used for most of the hunts, while you only have a sample of one.

And on that one, you gut shot the animal, were disappointed that it kept traveling and wrote it off as a failure of the cartridge.

Your lack of marksmanship is the problem.

Bigger cartridges rarely make up for bad shooting and bad shooting is a recurring theme in your hunting stories.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
.243's drop deer fine. Plenty of people kill deer with .223's and 22-250's. Run partitions or TTSX's if you want extra insurance.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I disagree with your disagreement, the design is to kill not look pretty for an after picture. Where did it fail to meet the design?

Last edited by chuckster243; 01/18/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

He has experience with the cartridge on a variety of game and and further cites the bullet used for most of the hunts, while you only have a sample of one.

And on that one, you gut shot the animal, were disappointed that it kept traveling and wrote it off as a failure of the cartridge.

Bigger cartridges rarely make up for bad shooting and bad shooting is a recurring theme in your hunting stories.

Your reading comprehension sucks. My bullet never touched the guts. It hit one lung and then liver. And I put it exactly where I wanted too. I didn't realize the deer was quartering. Thought it was broadside when I shot. So suck on that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chuckster243
I disagree with your disagreement, the design is to kill not look pretty for an after picture. Where did it fail to meet the design?

I'm not too sure what you're getting at here. I (nor you in the post that I responded to) never said anything about a bullet being designed to "look pretty for an after picture".

If an accubond at above the recommended minimum impact velocity doesn't expand (for whatever reason) after going through bone and lungs and acts like a FMJ, but the animal dies after running several hundred yards did the bullet act as it was designed to? I'd say "no", despite it killing the animal.
Likewise if that same accubond opens up way too quickly and fails to penetrate a scapula, acting more like a varmint grenade, but a small fragment or the core separates and finds its way through to the windpipe or lung and kills the animal after it runs several hundred yards, would you say that accubond worked as it was designed to?

If you say "yes" to both of these scenarios then why do bullet manufactures give details about design such as X% weight retention, designed for penetration through heavy bone, etc.? I've never seen a bullet designed simply to "kill".

Edited to add: I'm not saying these are common scenarios with accubonds....I am just using them as possible examples to illustrate my point.

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/18/20.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Your reading comprehension sucks. My bullet never touched the guts. It hit one lung and then liver. And I put it exactly where I wanted too. I didn't realize the deer was quartering. Thought it was broadside when I shot. So suck on that.

Bullshit. Your shooting sucks.

As does your "writing." You didn't convey anything about a quartering deer.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.