Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I inherited a model 43 bolt action in 22 hornet from my dad. Its got full checkering so I think that is not origional. Its cames with a 3/4 inch weaver scope that mounted by the action and the front base on the barrel. I removed that and kept it and put a leupold 2x7 rimfire scope on it because the size looked right.
It shoots alright, but I have not tried any variety of loads or started to hand load for it.

I dont have a lot of sentimental value on it because my dad had many guns and I only used it once or twice growing up and it sits now because I usually grab my 223 bolt when I go back to the farm and I also fear loosing that magazine which is tough & expensive to find.

I've been thinking about using the 43 more for beaver killing at the farm to be quieter than the 223, but debate if I should get a 22 magnum instead for beatability.

Are these rifles collectable?
Or about the same value as a decent 22 magnum?
Any sources of aftermarket mags that actually work?
What bullet diameter do I need to reload for?

Thanks in advance.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yes, these rifles are collectible. The deluxe variant of the M-43 came with checkered walnut stock and sling swivels though many standard rifles were checkered aftermarket. You are describing the Stith scope mount system utilizing the bbl. dovetail and the receiver side mounting factory drilled holes. If this is what you removed then more explanation is needed as to how you installed the Leupold 2X7 scope.
Neat rifles.
Tom

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
The reciever had front and rear D&T for bases like a conventional rifle.

Thats why I put a smaller rimfire scope because the bases are pretty close

I need to see if my dad's was the deluxe.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Original 43 Deluxe models are relatively hard to find. Usually you can tell original Winchester factory checkering from after-market custom work because of the shape of the diamonds. Its all the same on every Winchester I've ever looked at, from Model 70's to Model 75's to Model 12's to Model 43 Deluxes. Brings about a 50-75% premium over standard Model 43's. I have one (standard) in 22 Hornet that shoots 10 shot 1" groups with factory Winchester ammo 46gr HP. It doesn't like the 45 gr SP's nearly as much. If I reloaded it would probably do much better, but why bother? Plus, the gun is an inch or two shorter and a pound and a half lighter than a Model 70 in the same caliber. Whats not to like?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
So yes, some of these later production rifles did have the receiver drilled and tapped on the top to accept the Weaver bases, but then the question must be asked why did someone spend much more bucks to install the Stith mounts?
Just so you know, those mounts are now spendy.
I overlooked your excellent question about what bore diameter to load for as shortly prior to the M-43 being introduced, the Hornet, and other 22 CF cartridges were of a smaller bore diameter. Yours is intended to use the present .223 bullets and just find the one your gun likes.
Presently I only own one M-43 and it is a deluxe in 32-20 cal but I look forward to more.
Enjoy,
Tom

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Im poor at posting pictures, but I could send pictures to someone via email and you could tell me what I have here. Please message me if you're willing to take a look.

I'll have to research the stith mounts and weather I should keep them or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 43 in 22 hornet and sold it. seemed to be the poor mans 54 or 70.
had a creepy trigger and sloppy let off.
maybe mine was a lemon. I will never know.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had one and sold it before i ever fired the rifle. It was not a collector gun as it had been restocked. I think the action is sort of a beefed-up rimfire action. I don't know how it would stand up to stout handloads

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
No personal experience with a Winchester 43; but I had a good friend( back n the day) who owned one and shot it frequently. Eventually the rifle developed excessive headspace and was returned to Winchester. Their response was that " they no longer serviced that model".factory ammo should be satisfactory. I would not get "adventurous" with handloads.

Last edited by BIGEYES; 01/18/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried to warm up to the 43 but just couldn't. So-so accuracy, so-so trigger, and the aforementioned beefed up rimfire look prompted me to look elsewhere. I'm a shooter first and collector second, and not needing/wanting to create a detailed Winchester collection I have no time for a 43.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
tt

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a Winchester Model 43 in 25-20 for sale in a local gun shop several years ago. Only one I have ever seen in that caliber.

H
H
I have all 4 mod.Winchester made mod. 43's. 22 hornet 218 bee, 25-20 and the 32-20. Actually 2 hornets. these are collectible if in any kind of factory orig. condition. some clips are interchangeable. The hornet is not one of them. I wood not part with any of them. All shoot sweet and very accurate. Especially the bee. I would not use a rim fire scope, as none of these mod's are rim fire. thus it will go to h- -l hardione

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sort of the centerfire kin to the M/75, not an especially good trigger it is a rifle while I can appreciate for what it is never appealed to me. Winchester put the Hornet in the M/70 which was too big of a platform for the cartridge. I was surprised they never developed an action the size of the Savage M/20 for the cartridges they chambered in the M/43.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

M43 ....my 1st Varmint Rifle. .218 Bee. Have a Hornet also. Pretty collectable, most likely because it is a Winchester. Not at all a quality, dependable shooter.

The 43 is a Model 69 rimfire action, develop headspace issues in time. Lousy triggers, cannot be changed. The only way to adjust the trigger is to change the angles. Good luck with that.

Wish I Had a dozen.......to spin off.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I tried to warm up to the 43 but just couldn't. So-so accuracy, so-so trigger, and the aforementioned beefed up rimfire look prompted me to look elsewhere.

As a big fan of the Hornet I too tried to like the 43. Just could not make it work - but not for lack of trying. So it went down the road. Too many other good options chambered for the Hornet.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

M43’s are much more likely to develop headspace issues if they are hotrodded.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by humdinger
I inherited a model 43 bolt action in 22 hornet from my dad. Its got full checkering so I think that is not origional. Its cames with a 3/4 inch weaver scope that mounted by the action and the front base on the barrel. I removed that and kept it and put a leupold 2x7 rimfire scope on it because the size looked right.
It shoots alright, but I have not tried any variety of loads or started to hand load for it.

I dont have a lot of sentimental value on it because my dad had many guns and I only used it once or twice growing up and it sits now because I usually grab my 223 bolt when I go back to the farm and I also fear loosing that magazine which is tough & expensive to find.

I've been thinking about using the 43 more for beaver killing at the farm to be quieter than the 223, but debate if I should get a 22 magnum instead for beatability.

Are these rifles collectable?
Or about the same value as a decent 22 magnum?
Any sources of aftermarket mags that actually work?
What bullet diameter do I need to reload for?

Thanks in advance.

In any reasonable condition, a Model 43 would be of interest to a collector and is, IMO, too valuable to take afield unless it had the sort of sentimental value that you say it doesn't.

For shooting beavers, I'd opt for a stainless Marlin 982 or 983 that shouldn't cost you more than half or a third of what the Model 43 is probably worth. If you want to shoot them with a 22 Hornet, you can probably find a used Savage 340/342 series rifle for about the same cost as the stainless Marlin.

I've owned a couple of Model 43s in 22 Hornet and 218 Bee, but didn't care for the intermediate size and the poor trigger pull. The Model 43 seems like a Model 75 that was redesigned just enough to fit the four short center-fire cartridges that it was made in.

I have read that the rear locking lug design of the Model 43 has the potential for set back in the 22 Hornet if the rifle is shot with hot reloads. I don't remember shooting the Model 43s in 22 Hornet, but did put a couple hundred rounds through one of the 218 Bees. I didn't notice any signs of head-space issues on the fired cases.

As you describe the rifle and the lack of sentimental value that it has for you, I'd suggest offering to sell or trade it to one of your siblings who may have inherited some of your Father's firearms that would have more value to you. That way, the Model 43 can be kept in the family, if anyone in the family would think that was important. Otherwise, I'd recommend selling it and buying something that is more interesting and more useful to you.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Funny, I ran across a model 43 in 22 hornet in the last couple weeks. It perked my interest since my buddy wont come off his 77/22 in the same. Reading this is making me back off of it. Guy is asking 650 for the 43.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wise decision, your $650.00 would be better spent on a higher quality Hornet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.