Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bought me a boyds stock for my b-mag and per boyds was to use existing action screws. I ended up stripping the rear action hole (screw is good) the torque
calls for 40 lbs but I wasn't probably 20 and was only going for 25. What caused it was the screws were to long and it hit against my safety and stripped the hole. There are still a few threads where I was able to snug it up,probably less than 10lbs. I had to put a small washer in under my safety so as to space it for the safety to work right. What thoughts on a easy repair? I was thinking thread tape and JB weld on the screw and snug it up enough to where I know it won't come lose or re thread and a larger screw.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Drill out & helicoil

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
loctite thread restorer..online or auto parts store..I've used it on heavy equipment u-joint yokes, that's pretty hard test.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do have loctite (med) on it now but was thinking since it didn't tighten down properly t wouldn't hold. Didn't know they made helicoils that small. Sems they would have made the screws softer that the action holes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Bought me a boyds stock for my b-mag and per boyds was to use existing action screws. I ended up stripping the rear action hole (screw is good) the torque
calls for 40 lbs but I wasn't probably 20 and was only going for 25. What caused it was the screws were to long and it hit against my safety and stripped the hole. There are still a few threads where I was able to snug it up,probably less than 10lbs. I had to put a small washer in under my safety so as to space it for the safety to work right. What thoughts on a easy repair? I was thinking thread tape and JB weld on the screw and snug it up enough to where I know it won't come lose or re thread and a larger screw.

You are using Inch Pounds, right?

Get close and wack em hard!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BS2

You are using Inch Pounds, right?

hope not 40 foot pounds

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Drill out & helicoil

Anybody who uses a frekin heli-coil on one of my firearms would get a size twelve right to their scrotum...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Drill out & helicoil

Anybody who uses a frekin heli-coil on one of my firearms would get a size twelve right to their scrotum...

so what would you do/suggest ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Craigster
Drill out & helicoil

I guess he wants you to Tigweld the hole closed, re-drill and tap.

Mcmaster Carr has them 1-64" thru 1&3/4" .

https://www.mcmaster.com/helicoil-inserts

Never used the Thread restorer, although it probably works fine.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks haven't seen that kit before,worth a shot.
Yes inch lbs using fat wrench.
I don't know exactly what the material in the action screw hole is but to begin going in is like plastic with a small section of some sort metal,the way it stripped so easy makes me think aluminum.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
loctite thread restorer..online or auto parts store..I've used it on heavy equipment u-joint yokes, that's pretty hard test.

Have used this more than once IT WORKS WELL.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Watched video on it and looks like it'll work good,will get some.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Drill out & helicoil

I guess he wants you to Tigweld the hole closed, re-drill and tap.

Mcmaster Carr has them 1-64" thru 1&3/4" .

https://www.mcmaster.com/helicoil-inserts

Never used the Thread restorer, although it probably works fine.

Heli-coil is a good way to niga-rig a repair that doesn't get constantly disassembled. If I were going with a thread insert I'd use a Jergens thin wall insert. The proper way would be to tig, redrill and tap.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The proper way would be to tig, redrill and tap.

Unable to do this. On the bmag there is only a small metal threaded portion which is enclosed in the center of plastic which is a bad design.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A TIG welded repair plug is annealed by definition plus the surrounding parent metal is going to be annealed as well. If a Helicoil is used, the original hardness of the parent metal is preserved plus the Helicoil itself is hardened stainless steel. This makes the repaired threaded hole stronger and more resistant to stripping than the original thread.

RAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just how hard do you think the rear mounting screw area is? How hard does it need to be? Besides re-making the hole it is acceptable to go up one screw size.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's very hard plastic with a thin band of metal in the center. I have thought about tapping it and back off the recommended pound setting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those of us who haven't futzed with one and don't know what they're talking about (like me) this thing is a horse of another color.

Picture lifted from a video showing action with rear screw removed.

[Linked Image]

Picture from the manual

[Linked Image]

Long distance I don't know what I would do, rebuilding the threads may be the only reasonable option short of sending to Savage. Have done it with epoxy and it worked but not as strong and not so durable. Maybe purpose made stuff would do better.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well at least it’s only the trigger housing you screwed into / stripped and it can be replaced because it screws into the rifle.

You could see if the hole in the stock is big enough to accommodate a larger screw, the screw is under the trigger guard assembly so no one can see it.
If the hole is big enough or you can enlarge it you can tap out the hole to the next bigger size and you should be good to go.

BE careful that the Boyd’s stock hole isn’t exactly over the screw, a buddy of mine brought me a A17 in a Boyd stock, and the hole was a bit further than it should have been the result was that he cross threaded the screw...

Savage tolerances are Terrible, and they vary wildly.. so combine that with a CAM machine like Boyd’s uses and you can have problems....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on RAN's post, in more than 40 yrs. as a Tool & Die Maker I installed hundreds of Heli-coil inserts don't remember any problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or that. Suspect the big objection was like mine thinking it would be visible like a big ugly booger

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Is that trigger housing white metal ?? I doubt it’s steel..., but may be aluminum.

IF you fix it yourself then TIG & trap is the way to go.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There is room under the safety also as to where I could slide a square nut between the safety and housing and just screw a screw into it. I would guess the metal inside the housing that stripped is mad of aluminum. The pics posted fills everyone in on just what cheap way it was made.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up finding a screw 2 sizes up from original and it easily made it's own threads. It's good and tight and I only put it to 15 inch lbs. I had plenty of options from here and thanks for so many.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I ended up finding a screw 2 sizes up from original and it easily made it's own threads. It's good and tight and I only put it to 15 inch lbs. I had plenty of options from here and thanks for so many.

2 sizes up? Meaning you went from something like a #8 to a #12 or 1/4"?

It's really concerning that you were able to screw it in and have it make it's own threads. Seems like cracking that aluminum threaded piece is a strong possibility, and much more likely than the screw cutting it's own threads unless you used a self tapping screw.

Hopefully that's miscommunication and you just went with a longer screw of the same size.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RAN
A TIG welded repair plug is annealed by definition plus the surrounding parent metal is going to be annealed as well. If a Helicoil is used, the original hardness of the parent metal is preserved plus the Helicoil itself is hardened stainless steel. This makes the repaired threaded hole stronger and more resistant to stripping than the original thread.

RAN

That is not what annealed means. Welds are not "annealed by definition", especially a small weld in a larger surrounding piece of metal. The rate of cooling matters, and quicker cooling from heat transfer to the surrounding steel does not leave the weld annealed. Annealing in carbon steel (like what is used in most rifle actions) typically requires slow cooling over a number of hours; very different than how a welded hole cools.

The heat of welding can affect the temper of the surrounding steel, but that is not the same as annealing. The weld itself may be harder or softer than the base metal, depending on the filler rod used.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

2 sizes up? Meaning you went from something like a #8 to a #12 or 1/4"?

It's really concerning that you were able to screw it in and have it make it's own threads. Seems like cracking that aluminum threaded piece is a strong possibility, and much more likely than the screw cutting it's own threads unless you used a self tapping screw.

Hopefully that's miscommunication and you just went with a longer screw of the same size.

No it was 2 sizes up,I ran the next size first which cut in real easy then the next size. It's mostly plastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.