Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
Ruger Blackhawk

Single actions not rated. If they were, the Blackhawk would be near the top of the heap.

Near, but not there. Freedom Arms Model 97 would rate at the top IMHO.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got an old Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum that I bought new in 1980. I believe these are built on the same frame as the Security Six. Beefy little snubby.

[Linked Image]

Also have several K-Frames in .357 Magnum (19, 66, 13, and 65). I also have a Colt Model 357 chambered in, you guessed it, .357 Magnum. I had an L-Frame from the Performance Center, but sold it a few years ago. Also sold my Model 28. Back in the 1980s I had the Dan Wesson, but sold it. That was a very nice gun with a great trigger.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ruger Blackhawk

Single actions not rated. If they were, the Blackhawk would be near the top of the heap.

Sure they are and the Blackhawk is.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've said many times on here that I think the Smith and Wesson 686 is the best 357 Mag. ever made. I will not deviate from that. If you like the blued version, it's just as good. I think the 686 is better due to my preference overall for stainless steel, but you could say the 686/586 is the best. 681/581 versions are the same only with fixed sights. I prefer adjustable, but these are good guns too.

The only thing that makes a 627/27 a lesser gun is the size. They are a bit large for a 357. Same with the 28 which I'd rate a bit lower than the 27 due to fit and finish. The 28 was cheaper though, so there's that. Overall I think most 27's are slicker from the factory.

The next in line would have to be the Security Six by Ruger. It surprised me when they came out with the GP-100 because IMO there was no need. Nevertheless, the GP is more robust but also larger. I'd rate the GP as the next down since smaller is better when it comes to these guns unless you start getting into excessive recoil or they are simply not big enough to handle the cartridge, but the Security Six always was.

Pretty good summation. My 686 goes to the range every time I do .I probably have 30,000+ rounds thru it with out a glitch.

My Security six goes with me when I am in the saddle.

Carry is a Smith Snubby , 3" barrel with a Crimson Trace, 2nd choice is my Sig P320 If I think I will need more rounds.

My Blackhawk doesn't leave the safe much anymore

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
where one is making a mess in their nest is that the 357 Magnum isnt a 9MM MIRACLE of MYSTICAL POWER. Any way you want to turn it, surmize it, fondle it, dream about it, conjure about it or have a coniption about it it will never reach the level of the Mystical Miracle that the 9MM is. No matter the launch platform or how many pennies you Super Glue to the top of the front sight to be a better shot the 9MM MYSTICAL MIRACLE OF MAGNATUDED MAGNANAMOUS POWER. is THE GREAT EVAPORATOR. Just shoot thereabouts and all will leave the earth.

I can tell that you have never experienced the sublime Korth Mongoose dual caliber .357/9mm revolver.

Pity.

I reckon it’s truly the best of all.

It is when it is kept clean.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger Blackhawk

"Near". Possibly overbuilt and underquality. The Freedom Arms, as the other guy said, or the New Frontier.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ruger Blackhawk

"Near". Possibly overbuilt and underquality. The Freedom Arms, as the other guy said, or the New Frontier.

And that disagrees with what I posted how?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another one of the uber-built 357's out there is the older Ruger Redhawk, 6-shot. Not produced in big numbers, but what a tank.

The newer Redhawk 8-shooters should hold up for at least a couple boxes of ammo too....grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I miss my Ruger GP 3 inch fixed sights and all it made me look good shooting.(Not an easy feat) wadcutters to 158 dragonslayers just kept on keeping on.Have a shooting buddy who shot a Charter for 27 years and Charlie never was one to baby anything.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Colt New Service

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
EE, first I have to say I do like that knife in your picture. What is it. I may need one. Imagine that, and I never knew it.

I have to agree with your list. I'm more of a Ruger guy over the years, but I still have a 686plus 3" like Shrapnel used to show in pictures. What a fine gun.

I don't see how a guy could find a better carrying gun than the Six Series Rugers. I have a pretty good mixture of the Security Sixes, Speed Sixes and a couple of Service sixes. The fixed sight guns typically are house guns, and just general use. After all these years I can't decide if the 4" or the 2-3/4" barrels are my favorites.

How can some one not like the 19's and the 66's? I love the 3"ers but feelings for them are way too strong, to justify over the 2-1/2" guns. How can 1/2" make that much difference. They both look good, a guy just has to have both.

I've had 38's and 44 specials in Taurus, but never a 357 mag. I'm not sure why, the others that I've had have certainly been exemplary guns. I've had at least one 44 of one kind or another for years. How can you not? The 3" 431 is a wonderful gun and very handy

Charter Arms guns I've had a couple of 38's for a short time, I've also had at least one 44 of one kind or another for years. How can you not?

I certainly wished my dad's model 27 3-1/2" would have come to me, but one of his step kids grabbed it, probably only to sell. I'm sure he would never have appreciated it as much as I would have.

I will never not have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag. 4-5/8" just look right and feel right.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Ruger SP101 3" . Actually I have had all 3 lengths, but prefer the 3" and 4". They are comfortable and just the right size to carry, and conceal and generally always have one with you. 3" seems to be plesantly the perfect general size. I even have one that's been customized by Gemeni Customs, that has the high vis front sight, and adjustable rears (probably Smith J frame sights). It just has a sense of being stronger than the model 60.

Good Reviews EE.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
IMO no 357 says Business like a 3 1/2” N frame. But the Ns really aren’t great due to OAL constraints with their short cylinders.

I prefer Magna stocks due to having skinny hands and that discounts the Ks for me if lots of shooting is in order with magnum loads.

The L frames are a great compromise and I think they’re pretty close to the Goldilocks of 357s. Good cylinder length, lugged barrels add enough weight to tame recoil, and the grip frame is a good size for my hands. I’ve been thinking of picking up a 4” 686 of late though it would be hard to abandon my heavy loaded 38s as field guns.

I have yet to meet a Colt I really liked in 357. Closest would be a 357 or early Trooper. I’ve long been of the opinion that the Python is a silly looking holdover from the disco era and have replaced enough sintered internals in MKIII Troopers to not care for them. Also never really warmed to the long stacking DA pull of the old style actions and don’t care for the shape and size of the grip frame on the Colt 41 frame.

Never been a Ruger DA guy. Aside from the Speed, Service, and Security series it’s always seemed to me that they were overbuilt for little reason in some areas and often crudely finished. The lack of parts and factory service for the Security lockwork guns is a turnoff as well. Lack of Magna style stocks and no other options is a dealbreaker for the GP and SP for me too. Now talking SA the 357 Blackhawk is an excellent package of affordability and durability, I don’t see ever selling the 4 5/8 I have.

Maybe I’m a snob or maybe I’m jaded from working as a gunsmith for a while but I’ll pass hard and completely on anything Taurus or Charter. Ditto Rossi, Llama, and any other budget brand I’ve ever encountered.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like your rating.

One thing to consider is "what's it for". Lots of different uses and for all-around I like the 686.

If you narrow it down to woods bumming/farm use, specifically with the .357, I like Ruger's 4.2" SP101. ROUGH when new but after use it smooths a fair bit. It's kind of a niche with only 5 rounds, but small enough to be handy, strong enough to last (or use as a hammer), enough weight to be shootable but no so heavy it's an anchor, adjustable sights, long enough barrel for accurate sighting and to make use of the 357 vs 38....I like it for what it is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I like your rating.

One thing to consider is "what's it for". Lots of different uses and for all-around I like the 686.

If you narrow it down to woods bumming/farm use, specifically with the .357, I like Ruger's 4.2" SP101. ROUGH when new but after use it smooths a fair bit. It's kind of a niche with only 5 rounds, but small enough to be handy, strong enough to last (or use as a hammer), enough weight to be shootable but no so heavy it's an anchor, adjustable sights, long enough barrel for accurate sighting and to make use of the 357 vs 38....I like it for what it is.

That's always been my impression of the SP101, as well, and have been on the verge of acquiring one many times over the years, but have never quite pulled the trigger on doing so.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with overall assessment, if you're going to have one 357 revolver, the 686's are nice and tough. But these days you can carry an M69 in 44 mag for the exact same weight and, even with mild loads, way more killing power. .429 bullets just seem to kill chit more reliably than anything in the .357 range. Sold my 686...currently only have k-frames and M69's.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thank you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
IMO no 357 says Business like a 3 1/2” N frame. But the Ns really aren’t great due to OAL constraints with their short cylinders.

I prefer Magna stocks due to having skinny hands and that discounts the Ks for me if lots of shooting is in order with magnum loads.

The L frames are a great compromise and I think they’re pretty close to the Goldilocks of 357s. Good cylinder length, lugged barrels add enough weight to tame recoil, and the grip frame is a good size for my hands. I’ve been thinking of picking up a 4” 686 of late though it would be hard to abandon my heavy loaded 38s as field guns.

I have yet to meet a Colt I really liked in 357. Closest would be a 357 or early Trooper. I’ve long been of the opinion that the Python is a silly looking holdover from the disco era and have replaced enough sintered internals in MKIII Troopers to not care for them. Also never really warmed to the long stacking DA pull of the old style actions and don’t care for the shape and size of the grip frame on the Colt 41 frame.

Never been a Ruger DA guy. Aside from the Speed, Service, and Security series it’s always seemed to me that they were overbuilt for little reason in some areas and often crudely finished. The lack of parts and factory service for the Security lockwork guns is a turnoff as well. Lack of Magna style stocks and no other options is a dealbreaker for the GP and SP for me too. Now talking SA the 357 Blackhawk is an excellent package of affordability and durability, I don’t see ever selling the 4 5/8 I have.

Maybe I’m a snob or maybe I’m jaded from working as a gunsmith for a while but I’ll pass hard and completely on anything Taurus or Charter. Ditto Rossi, Llama, and any other budget brand I’ve ever encountered.

You can change the stocks on the K's..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But, you don't have to..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[quote=TheKid]

You can change the stocks on the K's..

But, you don't have to..

Hard to beat right there!!! The ultimate.357 Magnum IMO !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ll stick with my Colt King Cobra (6).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.