Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys, it’s a run that runs me, I don’t know what coatings are used to make this finish but is there a simple way to at least make this rub tan again and have it match well? Thanks in Advance for any tips

https://i.imgur.com/n7lpiUs.jpg

Attached Images
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Obviously, find a tan that matches as close as possible. Then apply it with an artist type brush, might take more than one coat. Once dry, add the black using a round pointed toothpick. Clear coat if you want. Done more than a few this way.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well “obviously”, but what type of paint or coating is used on a stock that’s finished this way? I’m assuming some tan krylon off of the hardware shelf isn’t what gunsmiths use on these stocks, what type of coating is used?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An amazing number of synthetic stocks are painted with Krylon by Campfire devotees.

You might contact John Boy and ask his opinion - he does very nice stock painting that looks (to me) quite similar to your stock.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by mattparliament
Hey guys, it’s a run that runs me, I don’t know what coatings are used to make this finish but is there a simple way to at least make this rub tan again and have it match well? Thanks in Advance for any tips

https://i.imgur.com/n7lpiUs.jpg

There is no simple way. The major synthetic stock makers like Mcmillan, HS Precision, etc. paint their stocks with 2-component polyurethane paint. The webbing is the same type of paint. It is essentially solvent proof and very abrasion resistant. Krylon is not.

Colored epoxy kits like https://www.riogrande.com/product/colores-epoxy-resin-classic-colors-set/625485 allow you to make up a small quantity of custom colored epoxy that you can paint over the scratch. It is possible to get an exact color and texture match if you really want to, but it is time consuming, tedious, and requires knowledge of color mixing and use of an on-line color mixing calculator like this: https://trycolors.com/ Be prepared to experiment.

RAN

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mattparliament
Well “obviously”, but what type of paint or coating is used on a stock that’s finished this way? I’m assuming some tan krylon off of the hardware shelf isn’t what gunsmiths use on these stocks, what type of coating is used?

You asked for a " simple way". I gave my advise for a simple fix that has worked well for me many times. As far the paint/coating goes, ask the guy who finished it. Complicate it all you want, but it ain't rocket science.

Have a good time.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No worries! Thanks guys, I wasn’t trying to be “snippy”!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

It would bother me, but in the end I’d probably just live with it. A character mark.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you considered placing something else there, that might add a custom touch that makes the rifle more meaningful to you? IE if it's a sheep hunting rifle, have a print shop make you a sticker relevant to sheep hunting, or ??? Use your imagination really. An antiqued brass plaque, a symbol, you get the idea.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Have you considered placing something else there, that might add a custom touch that makes the rifle more meaningful to you? IE if it's a sheep hunting rifle, have a print shop make you a sticker relevant to sheep hunting, or ??? Use your imagination really. An antiqued brass plaque, a symbol, you get the idea.

Or a compass ! Seems that was a trend many moons ago.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd mix up airbrush paint to match and fire up the airbrush. Blend the edges. It's an acrylic paint and not too hard but that's what your clearcoat is for. I think you can do the webbing with any gooey black paint and a sharp, round toothpick. Never tried doing webbing but have had accidental webs from paint that needed thinning. Experiment.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any paint no matter what quality will eventually chip , or wear in some form or fashion. The problem is the wear doesn't have the character of worn finish on wood. As per previous comments, it can be touched up. However, unless you're extremely careful it'll gain another character mark during its life. I'd wait until it got quite worn then strip it and repaint.

Last edited by John_Boy; 01/25/20.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

436 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.