Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I know what it is for me..........

Taken from another thread, but attribution is made..........

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I am sure I will get flamed for this but in all honesty there isn't much to learn here. There are some good makers here. There are a few guys that have nice collections. There are a few guys that know more than they lead you to believe. But for the most part this forum is a bunch of guys with run of the mill knife experience. Nothing wrong with that at all. However I got flamed for saying that a Havalon maybe soulless but is a great tool in the field. A Havalon will outperform more than a bunch of run of the mill knives. It is faster and easier to replace the blade in the field than sharpening a knife. The cost is next to nothing and if lost is no big deal! I seek performance in a custom, I seek steels that offer more, heat treat that is better than the norm, and edge geometry that is thin. You can slice or you can plow, your choice. There are times when a thin blade isn't desirable but more times than not a thin blade is what I want. I try to keep up with steels and makers, but there are a lot of both so it can be challenging. I think most get butt hurt when guys here talk about knives that can and will outperform what they are either using or know about. I had a PM with Menefee about this a while back. I have also discussed it with a few makers that came on here and read post, then decided it wasn't worth their time on here. I use to be a quantity guy, I owned a lot of knifes from a lot of makers. I starting seeing slight differences but most were Germain. I wanted better and I wanted different but at that time there was not a lot of guys that stood out. Phill Wilson and Phill Hartsfield really opened my eyes. Now there are guys that don't want to make you 80 different models or your own personal design. Because they have put in the time, energy, money, and testing to figure out what really works. Get to know some of these guys and they may be willing to work with you on a project knife. If they think it is going to match their standard. Honestly I think there are some great guys on here and like anywhere else in life some not so great guys. We can all learn something if we are receptive to it. Anyways I have pretty thick skin and can handle any and all flaming. In the end I love knives, and I love exceptional knives even more.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

"I have learned one thing. As Woody says, ‘Showing up is 80 percent of life.’ Sometimes it’s easier to hide home in bed. I’ve done both."

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/10/showing-up/

FWIW,

I often make mention that I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity. Pretty much in all areas of life. At 5'8, I've never been the biggest, and for some reason, unlike so many folks of my stature, I do not have a small man's complex. In a group, I'm almost never the youngest or the oldest, the smartest or the dumbest. I fished constantly for the first 27 years of my life, but life happens and for the last 41 years, have not fished much. My interests are also pretty narrow I enjoy my kids, my grand-kids, photography, reloading, playing with guns and knives and going to my deer leases. I basically "retired" at 49 years, in 2000, and have spent the last 20 years of my life ordered around hunting seasons. I quit watching network TV over 20 years ago and have not watched a pro football, baseball or basketball game since the 'strikes' in the 80's.

I’ve reloaded for 80+ different chamberings for pistols and rifles from 17 ackley hornet to 458 Lott, but I'm not a ballistician

I prolly have close to 200 custom knives, (45 Menefees, alone) but I'm not a metallurgist.

I've owned well over 200 bolt action, lever and single shot rifles, but don't claim to be a gunsmith.

Perhaps an anecdote might just be in order…….

Have you heard the story about the three sailors that hit port and went directly to the nearest house of ill repute.

First sailor goes in and after he is finished the lady he serviced exclaims, ah, 10", best I've had today. The second sailor goes in and does his thing. The lady is heard to say, ah, 8" second best I've had today. The third sailor goes in and is getting ready to climb on. Well this dude has a really small pecker. The madam looks at him and inquires "Who you gonna please with that thing.
Unabashed he immediately replies,
"Me, MOFO, Me"

Life does not have to be a zero sum game!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always enjoyed,your pics.

You so mean there’s no right or wrong??

I think some of here ( campfire as a whole, all sub forums) have to believe they are right and that’s the only way.

Or someone will associate price with functionality. Look at the rifle threads. Joe the weekend hunter wants to kill a deer. Certainly can’t hunt with a $400 ruger American. Nor can he use a vortex scope.

Get what works for you and be happy. At the same time nothing wrong with looking for the very best.

That’s why i like to get knives made. To suit me. Someone else will look at it and say that won’t work for me. And you are right.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like regular 'ol carbon steel, boring but it cuts stuff.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm here to learn.

Also, I think it's very generous when folks with notable collections share pics. Very helpful to the relative newby, such as myself.

Edited to add: Given that the Fire is predominantly a gun and hunting forum it's pretty safe to assume the blade portion of it will have much to do with animal processing. That's something other knife forums focus less on, making this one special.

Last edited by longarm; 01/19/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not a knife expert by any means at all and definitely can't afford to be one either but I respect and admire the Artistry and skill.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just like to see all the different knives and when I see one that trips my trigger, I copy it for my own use. I've probably made a dozen knives that way.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is room in any "knife guy"s drawer for the gamut from injection molded handled $10 boning knives
to "high end" spec'd out customs.
And being free to have personal opinions, we all have 'em.
And being different, we have quite the variety of opinions.
Sometimes we accept real "facts". Sometimes we know much better. Just ask.

The nice thing about this forum is that is mostly conducted in a civil manner and with a little back up
most opinions are tolerated even if we know better.

Never tire of seeing pics of knives, knives in action or hearing stories about them.

I can not think of a topic that won't get responses ranging from getting flamed out to being the gospel according to.....

Always something here to at least enjoy if not actually learn something. Hopefully we get a lot of learning time in.

I sure would like to have the picture taking skills and vast field experience some of you here have.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I see work by makers that interest me enough to buy a few knives. Sometimes I see work that tells me I can get the steel I want in a design I want, which is the case with the M4 I got from Tim.

Knives are like guns for me. I try to move closer to what I think is better each iteration. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but you never get there unless you try. Like the guns, most of my knives are working knives and get used a lot. I provide feedback to the makers I have bought them from, and sometimes it helps us both.

Edited to add for Tim:

That squirrel nutter is so close to what I have been using for the last ten years that it firs the sheath perfectly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geedubya, I like you. We’re VERY different people, but I am convinced we’d get along famously.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, I think gw would get along with bout anyone, paid back good dude.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Geedubya, I like you. We’re VERY different people, but I am convinced we’d get along famously.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

I guarantee you would. He is as good as they come.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like to come here to see the cool pictures and get opinions on common stuff I have or want.

I'm once a year deer hunter and process little game because I'm still a working stiff, but I like seeing what people have and the advice I get.

Honeslty... I'm amazed at what you guys accumulate.

But I could dream and drool about your guys stuff.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m just here to see Gee’s collection and pics.

Had the pleasure of talking to Gee’ on the phone once and is on the list of people I’d like to meet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GWB;
Good afternoon to you sir, I suppose it's evening now in Texas, I trust all is well with you and yours regardless.

Thanks for articulating your thoughts on cutting instruments, I very much appreciate both the spirit in which it was given and the fact that it made me think.

As you know about me, at 5'6" I'm seldom the biggest guy in any room either, other than when I was catching turkeys I suppose....

Once upon a time in my youth, I worked weekends killing turkeys for a friend's father at Thanksgiving and Christmas - think my best day was 510 hens - and that's where I learned to appreciate a decent working knife.

Since we process our own game I'm always on the lookout for useful and/or new blades for that line of endeavor.

[Linked Image]

After the girls were born, I began to cook more and now am reasonably proficient at it. Since I'm a "tool guy" we've accumulated a few for that task too.

[Linked Image]

Customs are sometimes made in the shop - local sawmill planerman donated a pile of Simmonds D2 blades and a California bighorn ewe's skull found hunting supplied the scales.

[Linked Image]

Even succumbed to the siren call of a fancy Japanese laminated cooking blade once GW - it was a trade for a ZT folder with an Elmax blade - long story - but like you I like to find gently used at a discount!! grin

[Linked Image]

As Brad mentioned GW, I know we'd get along just fine and it'd be my privilege to have a sit down visit with you someday. Perhaps if the stars align next time we're down in Texas.

Thanks again for the post sir and all the best to you folks as we head into longer days.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks for the kind sentiments guys.

Appreciate it mucho!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Let me know if I'm becoming "over-exposed!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any game animal I’ve killed could have been done with my old Remington 700 ADL .270 (the old walnut stocked version) or a Remington 870 12 gauge. I’m sure glad I get to use more than them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For me it is the love of knives for the most part. There are a few guys that I really enjoy reading their post. I enjoy seeing what other guys use and like. I miss Menefee on here, we may not always see eye to eye but he is a hell of a good guy from my dealings with him. I like his work specially folders. I enjoy seeing MRK grow from pretty much a hobby to a knife maker. I would never have two Joel Clarks if it wasn't for this forum. Anyways pretty much the same reasons I enjoy all the forums I read on here.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well I hear what your saying. I have always been interested in knives and tools and guns. In addition to being functional there is some facination with knives in particular that is art and craftsmanship. My maternal gradfather was a butcher and had a vast array of cutlery. This was a long time ago. It was the family business. His father brought their equipment from Germany.

He taught me what worked for what and how to sharpen. He had a huge collection of "pretty"stuff to. If he were around would laugh at the tactical sharpened crowbars so common today. I too have a vast collection most of which are unused.

When I go elk hunting there is a small canvas bag with 7-8 knives , a sharpener and a rag in it. Most of those are old well use american made old timer brand knives. We gut em, drag em whole to a tree,lift em into a truck take em to camp and skin and process in camp taking our time. When a knife is dull we grab another. When done we dunkem in warm water, wipe em down and sharpen while B.S. each other. I enjoy this task.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

We all have choices on what we get to use. Cheap. Fancy. Quality. Junk. Custom. Mass produced. Sorry I wasn’t more clear in what I was alluding to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.