Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why, when and how often? Factory barrels only?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have on occasion run a Kroil soaked patch thru the bore before and after JB swabbing. I tried mixing Kroil with JB Compound once didn't see much advantage to the practice, the mixture didn't store well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a jar of JB Bore paste that sits on my bench. Only used it a few times for heavily fouled barrels. After bore is down to bare metal this stuff goes goes down the tube:

[Linked Image]

Midway Link

If you need to use JB often something is not right

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do.

I usually load 50 to 100 rounds per rifle per hunting season. I have six available for use during the season.

With each rifle I will start in September or October with a clean barrel, zero it, and put it up. Whatever gets fired during the season is all that is fired until post season, where I will fire the ammo for each rifle up, then get ready for next season by cleaning the barrel and start loading ammo.

Then I have two range-blasters, a Garand and an 03A3, they get kroiled each trip, but I'll usually run a hundred or so rounds through each when they go. Complete teardowns and cleanings about once a year.

ARs same-same except BCGs get cleaned each trip.

I've not used too much JB on my Garand or ARs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use to use Kroil & JB , since I found Wipe-out no need for it anymore. I recently acquired a bore scope and found a great use for it is to test cleaning methods. Wipe-out works great with almost no effort.
Kroil & JB works ok with much effort.
Keeping a cleaning rod out of the bore is enough reason alone to use the Wipe-out

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Guilty!

FWIW,

this child don't do the standard barrel break in proceedure.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

I typically will take a "new to me" rifle and set up on a rest and do 50 to 100 strokes through the barrel with a bronze bore brush coated with a JB/Kroil mixture, using a bore guide coated rod. After 20 strokes or so, I wipe the rod down and go back to swabbing. I usually change the brush after 50 or so strokes if I'm gonna do more.

I come back with cotton patches and only push from receiver to muzzle only. Don't pull the dirty patch back through the barrel. After patches are mostly clean i will check with wipe-out/patch out to determine if I'm down to bare metal. If so, then I run a couple kroil soaked patches and I'm good to go foul in the barrel

Can't prove that it works,

but what the hey!

After I hunt I may run a Kroil patch back through the barrel.

Figure it ought to be good for at least 60 rounds or whenever I notice accuracy falling off.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nowadays, if routine cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine isn't enough, I do the J-B thing with KROIL to clean it up.
Have to shoot until accuracy returns, then go back to BBS. FWIW, I always oil a patch and one to sweep after KROIL
Since it is not a lube -- it is a cleaner.

Last edited by agazain; 01/19/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
I use to use Kroil & JB , since I found Wipe-out no need for it anymore. I recently acquired a bore scope and found a great use for it is to test cleaning methods. Wipe-out works great with almost no effort.
Kroil & JB works ok with much effort.
Keeping a cleaning rod out of the bore is enough reason alone to use the Wipe-out

I agree. When I do finally decide to clean some bores, I soak in Kroil first, patch out, then Wipe-Out foam for 1-20 hours depending on how sidetracked I get.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/19/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Geebubya what role does the potato peeler in the second pic play in your cleaning protocol?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Geebubya what role does the potato peeler in the second pic play in your cleaning protocol?

not only do I stir mortar with a fork.......

but perhaps you catch my drift!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/19/20.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Got it, makes perfect sense to me. Carry on...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Why, when and how often? Factory barrels only?

First off, I shoot moly plated bullets in everything.

Second, I haven't used a brass brush in years, strictly nylon.

Third, every time.

Fourth, I don't have any factory barrels......

1st, I push a couple of patches with Bore Tech Eliminator, then about ten passes with the brush, patch once, another 10 passes with the brush, and a squirt of BT in the solvent port, and let it sit for a bit. I never totally exit the muzzle.

Come back, run a couple patches through it, then wrap a patch around an under sized brass brush with a little JB, and short stroke your way back and forth down the barrel. Pull it out, re-wrap the patch, and do it again w/o adding JB. I might do this 3-4 times. I re-use these patches all the time, starting with a well used one, progressing to a barely used or new, continually rotating down the line.

Put 4-5 drops of Kroil on a patch, push it through, flip it over & through again. Pull out the bore guide, clean the chamber & lugs, put the BG back in, and another patch with 3-4 drops of Kroil twice through, grease the bolt lugs and call it a day.

Not counting the wait, I can be done in 10-15 minutes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, I use a good solvent like Montana Extreme to get the copper and a lot of the carbon fouling out. Then, about every 250-500 rounds I follow the solvent with a couple patches loaded with JB. Then I follow that up with Kroil.

The JB gets out carbon that most solvents have trouble with. But, the real reason to use JB is to polish the fire cracking in the throat. I think barrels shoot better for longer when you keep the fire cracking under control.

Politics is War by Other Means
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like geedubya I use JB on a brand new barrel for "break in" and polish. Then I apply Dyna Tech. This has worked well to keep barrels from fouling. After that I haven't used anything but Wipe Out for cleaning. JB is also good on old/pitted or very dirty bores.

Kroil is used as a penetrating oil for stuck screws ect.

I really don't know how JB stays in business. I bought one small tub 20 + years ago and it will surely last the rest of my life!

Last edited by djb; 01/20/20.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djb
I really don't know how JB stays in business. I bought one small tub 20 + years ago and it will surely last the rest of my life!

At one time, I had a pic of all the little empty tubs of JB I had thrown in a pail. Of course I've been using it from back before Jim sold out. Even talked to him on the phone once, as I had a question about something.

I clean all the time every time with it......

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LOL, different strokes I guess. You tried Wipe Out yet?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djb
LOL, different strokes I guess. You tried Wipe Out yet?

I haven't, I'm in my happy place and never saw the need.

A bore scope can be a good teacher.......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Plus 1 on the bore scope.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tater peeler? Well, there is multi-tasking while waiting........

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guilty! Use both together.....and sometimes separately. Kroil is my go to gun cleaner.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.