24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My understanding of the modern diesels, is that one should not use an additive that includes a 'water dispersant'. That works well in a gas engine, but defeats the water separator function of the diesel fuel filter, and will void the warranty on injector pump and injectors.

Lets be careful out there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
My understanding of the modern diesels, is that one should not use an additive that includes a 'water dispersant'. That works well in a gas engine, but defeats the water separator function of the diesel fuel filter, and will void the warranty on injector pump and injectors.

Lets be careful out there.

Yep,my 2019 manual list only specific additives that can be used.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can you post that list?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can you post that list?

I will look it up when I get out to the truck today .Snowing like heck right now. As I remember it shows what ingredients that should not be used.

As mentioned it only shows what not to use.
As you posted: Diesel -water emolsions such as Aquazole

Anything containing alcohol,organo-metallic additives.

What I remembered is mentioned in where it talks about Top Tier Fuels and if you use low quality fuel to use AC Delco Fuel System Treatment Plus-Diesel but that doesn't address additives. My bad.

See www.toptiergas.com for a listof Top Tier marketers

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/29/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sell FPPF, Stanadyne and Power Service here. Well, we have some bottles of PS on the shelf, they don't sell.
Stanadyne is our #1 seller, and we start selling it by the case this time of year, but come summer time, hardly anybody buys it.
My engine guys swear by it and run it in their own rigs, so that's about all the sales pitch I need.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I heard some negatives about Power Service a few years back and stopped using it. I suspect that somebody used their "Diesel 911" as a regular additive instead of a fix for gelled fuel, and they got a bad rap as a result. Many gas stations around town had nothing but 911 on the shelf, and for quite a while.

I run stanadyne if anything. I know many of the truckers are running 2-stroke oil. But one guy's experience is rarely going to get you a conclusive answer on something like this.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cwh2
I heard some negatives about Power Service a few years back and stopped using it.

Power Service is an emulsifier, so it basically absorbs any moisture that may be in your system and is running it through your injectors (ticking time bomb)

Stanadyne and quite a few others are de-mulsifiers and will separate any moisture out and let your water separator do it's job.

People should drain their fuel bowls now and again prior to a potential water warning in fuel light.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks... that would explain the bad rap. Is that all of the power service additives?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Thanks... that would explain the bad rap. Is that all of the power service additives?
- Yes I believe so, it seems about 50% of the diesel additives are emulsifiers which probably aren't all that bad on the older diesel injectors (don't quote me on that). The new common rail injectors are so susceptible to damage though and worse case if an injector fails and sticks open it's probably going to burn a hole in the piston.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
- Yes I believe so, it seems about 50% of the diesel additives are emulsifiers which probably aren't all that bad on the older diesel injectors (don't quote me on that). The new common rail injectors are so susceptible to damage though and worse case if an injector fails and sticks open it's probably going to burn a hole in the piston.

Same for older diesels and using ATF or 2-stroke in the fuel as a lube. In older motors its ok, but on common rail especially with SCR/DPF it's bad news.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So since I'm using PS and 2 cycle in my 97 Dodge with a quart of ATF every other month to clean the injectors, I'm dooming my rig?

It's only got 271,000 miles and I want it to last at least another 300-400K.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by taz4570
So since I'm using PS and 2 cycle in my 97 Dodge with a quart of ATF every other month to clean the injectors, I'm dooming my rig?

That's like saying, "It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

Your 12-Valve 5.9 is exponentially more forgiving regarding what you can and cannot do regarding fuel.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by taz4570

Your 12-Valve 5.9 is exponentially more forgiving regarding what you can and cannot do regarding fuel.

Exactly - Way different injectors that are currently run and a LOT more forgiving.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.