Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After 4 years of having a Hornady Lock and Load Relaoding kit, I decide to reload some .308 to start out with. I used the hand priming tool that came with the Hornady kit. I did the first twenty cases with no issues. I came back the next day and it started double feeding primers and the tool was jammed like a SOB. I finally got the jam fixed, but I broke the black Hornady plate, so I switched to the green plate and RCBS shell holders. After about 4 cases, it started double feeding and hanging up again. Needless to say, I am not happy with it, and I want a new hand priming tool. What does everyone suggest/recommend? Thanks.

HR IC

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like the Sinclair and have had mine for a long time, it is a quality piece of equipment. Not everyone would drop the coin on one.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...ols/sinclair-priming-tool-prod37732.aspx

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sinclair

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sinclair

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the old round Lee priming tool for many years, I have two, but they don’t make it anymore. I’ve bought several replacement parts as they broke over the years. I always bought extras, so they will probably last until I have loaded my Lastround. I don’t know what I would buy if they don’t.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by lastround
I have used the old round Lee priming tool for many years, I have two, but they don’t make it anymore. I’ve bought several replacement parts as they broke over the years. I always bought extras, so they will probably last until I have loaded my Lastround. I don’t know what I would buy if they don’t.

Same here...I have two round ones and one new square one. I much prefer the round one. I’ve bought a couple more round tools via eBay for parts, which turned out to be a smart move. I must not be alone because they can get pricey on eBay at times.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had the Lee's, a Sinclair, RCBS, and the 21st Century- the only one I've used for the last few years. I think it's the best of the bunch but the Sinclair is a close second.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For single priming the K&M is better for me than the Sinclair, but for hi volume hand priming the RCBS 90200 is the best way to go, I have 2 one for small primers one for large and they last much longer than the Lee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee tool and still using the original one purchased, but have two spares.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I liked the old Lee tool and have two. I switched to the RCBS universal primer as I did not have all the shell holders I needed. Not having to buy different shell holders makes the RCBS pretty economical. Have not felt the need to get anything else. I dislike the press mounted primer attachments as they don't have the same feel as the hand held primer tools. I have also seated some backwards with the tube type feeders, popped one and that is enough.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've used the RCBS with the round tray for many years with complete satisfaction, tried the one with the universal shellholder that used primer strips did not like it at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the 21st century with the Lee primer holder. It doesn't look like it is made any more. I like it as well as the RCBS model with the square tray where the jaws are spring loaded.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak

Thanks for the picture, Roundoak, that is the exact one that I have. The only breakage I have had is the lever itself, of which I still have two spares. I’ve also found that a little grease on the pivot helps reduce wear and tear.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have used a bunch over the years...Lee, RCBS (square primer tray), K&M, Lyman tong tool, Recent Lyman.

The Lee feels cheap and like it's going to break, but I have loaded thousands of rounds w/o any problems. RCBS is junk, replaced with a new Lyman which is even worse. The K&M is the cats azz. Good feel positive
seating. Just good quality.

Believe it or not the old lyman tong tool with the priming die is a great tool if you can find one. Easy to grip, positive seating and relatively fast.

The new Lyman is the most recent purchase and by far the worst. Jamming, double priming, side ways primers, etc.

For the money the Lee round tray is pretty good.

I have each tool set up for different shell holders and leave them set up so I am good to go w/o any dicking around.

Lefty C

Last edited by leftycarbon; 01/20/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by roundoak

Thanks for the picture, Roundoak, that is the exact one that I have. The only breakage I have had is the lever itself, of which I still have two spares. I’ve also found that a little grease on the pivot helps reduce wear and tear.

My first hand priming tool was the Lee "original" and rebuilt it twice before going to the tool with primer tray. I agree, a little grease is good advice.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a couple RCBS, they are great

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my RCBS with the round primer tray. But after 30+ years of use, the plastic inserts are starting to break. I need to call RCBS for some replacement parts.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like my RCBS priming tool but Remington LR primers are too thick as in "tall" for reliable feeding. For those I use a Lee tool with the round tray.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I like my RCBS with the round primer tray. But after 30+ years of use, the plastic inserts are starting to break. I need to call RCBS for some replacement parts.

They will send you them for free. They have sent me parts I’ve lost. Great people!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used both versions of the RCBS hand primer as well as the Hornady. I'm now using the Frankfurt Arsenal unit and like it better than anything I've used previously. You have to use their shell holders that come with the unit but they cover most cartridges. The only cartridge I load for that they don't have a shell holder for is the 450/400 NE, and maybe the 22 Hornet (can't remember).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,867
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.