Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the 338-06 info, if I ever find a wore out 30-06 pre-64 Winchester it might become one.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
340 wby...the "little" 210 partitions at over 3200 fps will stretch you across a canyon or drop them at 50.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I were to wildcat it would be 7mm Practical, if proprietary it would be 7mm Dakota (one of the finest cartridges out there). If neither it would be a 7mm Rem Mag.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Ya’ll should be looking for the perfect elk.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by szihn
Are my choices "Perfect"?
Yup..............for me.
Why?
Because that's what I like and I like to enjoy my hunts.

Truth ^^^^^^^

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RinB

Yup....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5x55. I really like it as a hunting rifle. Low recoil, drops mulies in their tracks, shoots like a laser, what could I not like? Well, I’m not sure about 6.5x55 on elk. If your only comment is that Swedes have killed moose with them for years, save your breath....I got that. I’d also be willing to bet most Swedes would rather have a 9.3x62 in their hands on that hunt!

I don't think you'd be under-gunned at all by pairing your Swede with a 140 grain Nosler Partition.

Besides, I think a person really has much better success on using a rifle they "really like" as you state above.

Good luck on your final choice!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB

Agree...Some wouldn’t think my perfect elk is all that perfect. Grins. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A friend once told me, "Elk just seem happier when you shoot them with a .338 Winchester. It's kind of like the coyote and the 6mm Remington; they were just made for each other." GD

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by aalf
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here it is ! Either Ai version or std. with a 210 NP will so a marvelous job.

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Does a 6.5x55 with 140s allow you to practice more and be noticably more accurate than an 06 with 165/180gr?

When you take that suboptimal shot without pausing to consider angle properly with limited daylight next to thick cover when tired, frustrated and desperate which will you rather have had in your shoulder.

I dont hunt elk - I do hunt large smart deer in wilderness. I imagine perfect scenarios but I get realism and carry my 7-08. I can't think of a time Ive wished I had my 243 in such situations even thoughI shoot it fractionally better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know five people here in Wyoming who shoot 6.5X55s to kill elk. 3 men and 2 women. All are doing fine and all say that same thing. Use tough bullets.

One man in Worland used the Norma bonded 156 grain.

The woman in Green River used the 140 grain Hornady flat base and found it to be a bit too "soft" and has gone to the 140 grain Nosler Partition. I made her rifle.

A grand old woman I know in Lander shoots factory Norma Ammo and I think she is also using the 156 grain bonded bullets. She has been killing all her game with a Swede for longer then I have been in Wyoming and started hunting back in the 60s. She is happy with her rifle and ammo. Her rifle is a custom M96 Mauser that she got when she was in her early 20s, nicely done by a Gunsmith who lived in Douglas Wyoming in those days. I'd bet she has killed more elk with her 6.5MM then all the other 6.5MM kills I personally know of combined. She's been killing game for longer then I have, ......and I have been doing it since 1964. She started in 1960.

A man I know who also lives in Green River used the 140 grain Nosler Partition. 3 elk kills so far. (I made his rifle)

And my friend Bob B. in Riverton uses the 140 grain partitions and has used the 160 grain Hornady with great success. He uses a Swede rifle I re-barreled for him. I likes the Partition because it shoots flatter, but the 160s kill just as well.

The Swede kills elk fine. I have seen it done a number of times myself, and I have also seen elk killed with 2 different 260 Remingtons and 3 different 6.5 Creedmoors, all of which are firing the same bullet weights at about the same speeds plus or minus about 50 FPS.

The only truly poor results I have seen have all been from bullet that broke up badly. I can say the same about much larger calibers too, so I don't blame the shell if the results are with poor game bullets. I have seen plenty of bad ones from 7MM Mags and 300 Mags in my 50+ years of hunting and guiding elk hunts and I can't say the shells were bad.

So far I have only seen one so-so shot with a 6.5MM shooter. All the others were placed well, and so I do place blame on some of the bullets that broke up.

The one "so-so hit" was fired by a who lady killed her elk with a liver shot with her 260 Remington, which I followed up for her. That elk went about 300 yards after the hit and I found it dead. So it was a one shot kill, but not too impressive. The bullet was a 130 grain Accubond and seemed fine when we recovered it, but the liver/paunch shot was not so good. It cut the paunch and went through the liver and was found against the skin on the other side. I can't say bad things about the bullet at all. It was just not placed in the lungs or heart. A killer to be sure, but none too fast. If she had placed it about 12"-14" farther forward I am sure the results would have been faster. A 30-06 may have been faster, but I am betting not all that much, if the wound was in the same place. A heavier bullet may have exited, and that helps drop the blood pressure a bit more and a bit faster, and makes following the animal a LOT easier, but a marginal hit is still marginal -------- even if the hit is with a 338 mag.

Me............I like my bigger rifles most of the time, but I have 50+ years of experience that have taught me I do not NEED a big powerful magnum to kill elk. I just LIKE big rifles and also rifles that shoot bullets that are not super high powered, but have a tendency to go deep and exit. I am happy with my 300 mag, 9.3X62 or my 375 H&H, but to be honest, I feel just fine in the timber hunting elk with my 300 Savage or my 303 British too. My 270s have done me right 100% of the time on elk too.

If you hit an elk with a bullet that give reasonable expansion, and your hit goes clear through them and exits , from the liver forward, or if you break down their shoulders or breaks the spinal column, the elk will fall instantly or within a few seconds.
What cartridge case it was fired from is of far less importance then placement and penetration.

Last edited by szihn; 01/28/20.
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, let’s talk caliber....right now, I’m thinking 6.5X55, 6.5-06, 270 Win, 280 AI, or 30’06 AI.
So what should I be thinking?

You said you want to talk caliber. Everything you cited are cartridges. What you should be thinking is learning the difference between the two.

Really? I mean are you really going to beat me up for listing up 5 cartridges of 4 calibers?

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm too scared even mention what I use for elk now..

Drop it on us! I’m sure we’re mature enough to handle it! crazy

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
If I were to routinely shoot beyond 400 yards for elk, I’d be tempted to move up to a magnum 7mm, .30, or .338. If it had to be in an M70, it would be the 7mm Rem Mag or maybe a 30-338, 308 Norma Magnum, or 338 Win Mag.

I might too, but I don’t regularly shoot elk, let alone 400 yd elk. I just don’t want to miss an opportunity...

I’m pretty set on 300 Sherman. Waiting on dies and getting my hands on some Bell&Carlson/McMillan stocks at NRA 2020.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Dad (1922-2004) hunted in Wyoming for elk nearly every year until we moved east to Pennsylvania. He toppled well over 20 elk with his 300 Savage levergun which is ballistically similar to .308 or 30-06 out to about 200 yards. Beyond this distance the larger cased cartridges have the velocity and energy advantage. But to further illustrate this power, 300 Savage has about the same energy at 200 yards as 30-30 does at 100 yards.

My elk rifle is similar to Dad's except for .308 chambering. None got away; they all were downed humanly.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a NIB, BACO-USA (made and assembled in South Carolina) Winchester model 70 30-06 sporter in absolute mint, unfired, with factory barrel sticker still attached, with nice walnut stock. I was thinking of moving out of the collection. It has a 1-10" twist, so it should handle 200 grain jacketed bullets beautifully for your elk hunting (22" barrel).

It was made at the FN-USA defense plant in South Carolina. The barrel was hammer forged on the same machine they make their sniper barrels ( to ISO 9001 standards).

I have another BACO-USA Win m70 30-06 sporter rifle configuration that I have shot less than 70 rounds. But so far, every load tested has been moa or less (180 grain Hornady flat base, 165 grain Speer flat base with IMR 4350). Action is butter smooth and is a joy to use (precise tolerences).

PM me if interested, will send pictures.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a 338-06 and a 35 Whelen in pre-64 Model 70s-original re-chambered/re-rifled barrels-iron sights. A 338-06 Ack Imp
is close to ideal. Having land in Alaska influences my thinking. You never know what will show up at the gut pile or around the next spruce.
If its under 125 yds, a 348 Ack Imp has worked really well in a pre-war Model 71 Deluxe on AK moose.
If these seem like minimum standards -I have to confess to killing my first bull elk with an original Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF. He
did'nt suffer or require a second shot. If an elk or moose gets taken over by a grizzly-you will have a fight on your hands

A guide in Wyoming was killed by a grizzly a year and a half ago-elk hunting. I am sure he would re-think his choice of weaponry if he could do it again.
Rifles and calibers are like girl friends and wives. Choose carefully and wisely- because you will have to live with your decision.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 02/09/20.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, let’s talk caliber....right now, I’m thinking 6.5X55, 6.5-06, 270 Win, 280 AI, or 30’06 AI.
So what should I be thinking?

You said you want to talk caliber. Everything you cited are cartridges. What you should be thinking is learning the difference between the two.

Really? I mean are you really going to beat me up for listing up 5 cartridges of 4 calibers?

Fair enough, 284 or 308. I like exit holes.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I always enjoy this topic because it was instrumental in my early elk hunting pursuits 25 years ago. Anything suited for the great western elk hunt had to have a magnum primer stuck in the case or it wasn't ethical. I gladly played those games with a variety of 338WM's, 300WM's, 300 WSM's, and one 325WSM. All brought elk home - cows and bulls from 125 yards to 385 yards. But so did .270 Wins, .308 Wins and 30-06's - with "deer bullets" that the others in our camp were using. Well, 25 years later, I have a couple of thousand primers to sell.
Well there is that Talkeetna way in the back of the safe waiting to go to Alaska again.
Anyway, the moral of the story is your plain old deer rifle is an elk rifle too! Maybe a bump up in bullet quality is prudent, but you'd be better off upgrading something else like boots, a backpack or a binocular. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
475 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.