Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I know there are some automotive experts on here, if you don't mind a question. I'm dropping a Buick 231 V-6 engine into an old military jeep. The exhaust tube from the header on the right bank of cylinders (facing forward) has to go down and then cross over in front of the tranny where it will then meet up with the tube from the header on the left, where it will eventually run into a muffler and then out the back. In a perfect world, I'd have a rearward facing sweep in that cross-tube coming from the left header (facing forward) where it mates with the exhaust tube from the left bank, but I don't have room for a 90 degree bend with a sweep. Is there a problem if I just come straight with the cross tube from the left at a 90 degree angle with no rearward sweep? The left and right down tubes from the headers are 2.0". The tubing is 2.5" where the left cross-tube comes in and then its all 2.5" tubing down-stream from there.
TIA

Tarquin
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't do it. There needs to be a sweep. Or run dual exhausts all the way back.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The guy that's doing my exhaust (a muffler shop) says he's seen factory exhaust where the one side comes in at a 90 to tube from the other side, but common sense says to have a sweep. Question is whether common sense is right. 'Preciate your advise.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
run duals, you can put a 90 cross over on duals.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
At any speed below wide open throttle, it wouldn't matter if you put a corkscrew in the exhaust pipe. One bank of a 231 engine only has 115 cubic inches, and each cylinder only has 39 cubes. With pipes the size you're describing, that engine could run 5000 RPM with very little back pressure. At least that's what I've found in 30+ years of doing dyno testing on round track racing engines.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Problem is, I don't have room for duals. On these V-6 jeep conversions, you have to shift the engine and tranny right about 1.75" and it just doesn't leave from for exhaust down the right side of the frame rail (facing forward) without dropping it below the frame rail and I don't want that either. My guy could have welded in a sweep where they crossed over, he just didn't want to and now I have to cut if out and start over. What a mess. Wish I had the skill to do this myself. Hate having to rely on people who can't do it right and cut corners.

Tarquin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweep doesn't really matter, the engine doesn't know what direction it's going. What matters is turbulence and equidistant lengths. Ideally, you'd want a straight line with the exhaust the same length as the intake. Varying the length of the exhaust and collectors does very interesting things to the torque and hp curves, but, as this is going into a jeep, I don't reckon you're too concerned with peak performance.

With what you are describing there would be some loss due to inefficiency and interference, but not enough to worry about.

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses. This board is such a great resource.

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
At any speed below wide open throttle, it wouldn't matter if you put a corkscrew in the exhaust pipe. One bank of a 231 engine only has 115 cubic inches, and each cylinder only has 39 cubes. With pipes the size you're describing, that engine could run 5000 RPM with very little back pressure. At least that's what I've found in 30+ years of doing dyno testing on round track racing engines.
Jerry

Pretty much this, it’s not a performance build so don’t make it hard on yourself.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a snorkel on it.
Or corvette/viper style side pipes...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Run 'em down the outside of the body, weld a little pad on 'em - and call 'em nerf bars and steps ! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I know there are some automotive experts on here, if you don't mind a question. I'm dropping a Buick 231 V-6 engine into an old military jeep. The exhaust tube from the header on the right bank of cylinders (facing forward) has to go down and then cross over in front of the tranny where it will then meet up with the tube from the header on the left, where it will eventually run into a muffler and then out the back. In a perfect world, I'd have a rearward facing sweep in that cross-tube coming from the left header (facing forward) where it mates with the exhaust tube from the left bank, but I don't have room for a 90 degree bend with a sweep. Is there a problem if I just come straight with the cross tube from the left at a 90 degree angle with no rearward sweep? The left and right down tubes from the headers are 2.0". The tubing is 2.5" where the left cross-tube comes in and then its all 2.5" tubing down-stream from there.
TIA

Tarquin,

Go to EarlyCJ5 . There are a lot of guys who have done this conversion, lots of reference and a great bunch of guys.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tarquin;

I had a '69 CJ5 that had the factory V6 engine.

I put hooker headers on it, and ran each pipe off the headers, out in front of the rear wheels.

I had to use short glass pack mufflers, off the headers, then make a 90 degree bend, right by the rear tires.

Worked great, but was a little loud. I was young then and loved the sound of that screaming V6!

Virgil B.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
not Having a sweep won’t make any difference. It isn’t a high performance application

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.