Hop To
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Link:

https://sectionhiker.com/the-new-sleeping-pad-r-value-standard-has-arrived/

The article says:

"You can use the table below to determine whether you’re looking at a product listing with an old R-value or one with a new R-value."

If I'm reading correctly, I think the author of the piece misunderstands, or at least leaves the wrong impression.

The pads have not changed, their R-values have been recalculated.

Hence, on Thermarest's site, all the pads have been "updated." As far as I can tell, nothing about the pads have actually changed except the stated R Values through a new standardized process.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ Brad I think you are correct, possibly some minor changes to valves and the like, but the overall construction (and warmth) stays the same- just a different number assigned based on new testing protocols

TR did pretty good on the testing- all the pads I own have all had their r-values bumped upward smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like they're trying to keep up with the ISO standards for sleeping bags that were introduced in '17. They're very similar to the older EN standards but with a few changes. A standardized rating system for both pads and sleeping bags is very useful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At times it is a bit confusing the way he references old vs. new. But it is clarified in the article.

“ Why didn’t manufacturers or retailers just slap a sticker on existing inventory boxes to indicate an R-value change if the underlying product didn’t change? Your guess is as good as mine. Discounting existing products just because you need to change the R-value on the packaging (or the online product listing) is stupid.”

And in reference to Therm-a-rest, “ The only difference between the Classic pads and new pads is the valve and the way that the R-value was measured, not the amount of insulation in the pad. I know that’s confusing. The measurement methodology is all that’s changed, not the pads themselves (with the exception of the valves). I don’t know if that’s true of other brands though.“

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks PRM from bringing out those points.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a chase lounger cushion and Cabala’s Outfitter bag and laugh at everyone else when I wake up in the morning to make coffee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.