Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have posted a review of the movie Dark Waters, in the Movie Forum here. It is the story of how Dupont Chemical dumped toxic pollutants into the streams, water table, and land fills around Parkersburg, West Virginia, which caused birth defects in babies, killed animals and pets, and caused various cancers in people. A class action suit finally evolved.

It is an interesting and disturbing movie.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I have posted a review of the movie Dark Waters, in the Movie Forum here. It is the story of how Dupont Chemical dumped toxic pollutants into the streams, water table, and land fills around Parkersburg, West Virginia, which caused birth defects in babies, killed animals and pets, and caused various cancers in people. A class action suit finally evolved.

L.W.

They did it everywhere they operated. We still can't eat fish caught from the Shenandoah river thanks to Dupont and companies like them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c-c2e9-11e6-8422-eac61c0ef74d_story.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The first great love of my life was a coal miner’s daughter from Parkersburg, I still have some of her ashes left, I should leave some there next time I pass through that way.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My group at work is doing the air deposition analysis for the Fayetteville, NC site. Lots of work, lots of unknowns still.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

L.W.

ala "Silkwood" or more documentary?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Big business feels we are expendable

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The first great love of my life was a coal miner’s daughter from Parkersburg, I still have some of her ashes left, I should leave some there next time I pass through that way.

Is this some sort of confession?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

L.W.

ala "Silkwood" or more documentary?

Not a documentary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

UnAmerican tell at the very least.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

L.W.

Where were the environmentalists and tree-huggers when you needed them?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist 🙄

Anyhoo.... with the appearance of the internet we got back in touch 25 years later, at which time she was divorced and I was married. She was also terminally ill. The daughter she bore in her teenage years still remembered me from when she was little, in a positive light.

I drove out to Arizona for the funeral service at her invitation. Her remarkable mom had left a list of places around the world where she had wanted her ashes scattered so that friends and kin might go and visit those places. That was twelve years ago. Her daughter ended up going to friggin’ Maccu Picu, I don’et think she made it to Kilimanjaro yet.

We had originally met back in the ‘70’s in Forestry School, she went on to earn Graduate degrees doing forest research in Costa Rican Rain forest and Brazilian Cloud Forest. I lived for a year camping out around around New Mexico and then left for Africa.

For my own part I scattered some of her ashes where she had done research in Costa Rica, the first place I heard howler monkeys which sound she loved. Other ashes I scattered at her favorite overlook in Letchworth State Park in Upstate New York. Some too I scattered at a beautiful location in NM.

Still got some left, she was proud of her roots, Parkersburg seems as good a place as any.

You guys really need to get out more.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add

Creepy as hell.

Oh, another White Nationalist 🙄

Anyhoo.... with the appearance of the internet we got back in touch 25 years later, at which time she was divorced and I was married. She was also terminally ill. The daughter she bore in her teenage years still remembered me from when she was little, in a positive light.

I drove out to Arizona for the funeral service at her invitation. Her remarkable mom had left a list of places around the world where she had wanted her ashes scattered so that friends and kin might go and visit those places. That was twelve years ago. Her daughter ended up going to friggin’ Maccu Picu, I don’et think she made it to Kilimanjaro yet.

We had originally met back in the ‘70’s in Forestry School, she went on to earn Graduate degrees doing forest research in Costa Rican Rain forest and Brazilian Cloud Forest. I lived for a year camping out around around New Mexico and then left for Africa.

For my own part I scattered some of her ashes where she had done research in Costa Rica, the first place I heard howler monkeys which sound she loved. Other ashes I scattered at her favorite overlook in Letchworth State Park in Upstate New York. Some too I scattered at a beautiful location in NM.

Still got some left, she was proud of her roots, Parkersburg seems as good a place as any.

You guys really need to get out more.

That's a sad story.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing is, that woman overcame a great deal, her dad, a coal miner, died of cancer when she was a girl and she grew up poor. The fact that she went on to become a published researcher in her field merely confirmed the high opinion I held of her. Her peers in Brazil did name a new species of orchid after her.

I drove out to see her shortly before she died, Ill as she was she still took my breath away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody responsible for dumping poison into a community or environ should spend life in prison without the chance of parole.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 01/20/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know of anyone that truly benefited (other than lawyers) from a class action lawsuit.

Maybe this is the case here, I don't know the story but whenever I hear about class action, I just think of my experiences where a case was made that I was ripped off for whatever - a few hundred dollars and the end result is I get pennies in return.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by add

Hahaha. Tff. No, more bragging.

I'm pretty sure G Washington and Abe Lincoln would fall under the white nationalist moniker.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lawyers make a ton of money off class actin lawsuits

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by add

Hahaha. Tff. No, more bragging.

I'm pretty sure G Washington and Abe Lincoln would fall under the white nationalist moniker.

I’m sorry, I thought I WAS bragging.

Anyhoo, so then when Jefferson wrote “All men...” he didn’t actually mean “All men”.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I finally got around to watching this movie

holy hell, I want to torch Dupont after watching it

I went thru Parkersburg a couple of years back and told my wife it was the most depressing run down place I'd been to in a long time. I chalked it up to Appalachia

now I know the reason why

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
399 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.