Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I ended up buying the medium height Weaver rings that Paul posted the link to. They should be here before I can pick up the rifle.
And I dug out an older Bass Pro 6.5-18x40 that has a fairly small ocular bell. Hopefully I can mount that and use it for ammo testing.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kragman,

I've had two of them, both in 22 Magnum, loved the round as it extended the range I could shoot ground squirrels by about 50 yards.

First one was the standard classic looking version; I benched it at 100 yards and it would keep 5 shots in under one inch, often 3/4 inch (with Winchester 40 grain HP's). Hunted it, loved the rifle and the round. In a fit of stupidity, I sold it to buy the new Ruger bolt-action 22 Hornet, but the reviews I read had around 1 1/2 inches as the best the Hornet would group. So I dropped that idea.

Second one was the Target version, laminated stock, heavy barrel, grey stainless finish. This was about 8 years later, I figured if the standard version shot so well this heavy barrelled/laminated stock version would shoot lights out. It did not, I dinked with it and finally sold it back to the dealer.

Best of luck with your rifle, hope it shoots as well as my first one,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been considerring a stainless boat paddle all weather 22 mag, which I think I would love to have. But think I might appreciate the low bolt throw(to mount a 2.5x20 extra low and forward), and the smaller dimensions, along with the bright fiber optic sights of the Ruger American Compact for a dedicated walkabout/pack/boat rifle.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Jerry

Boy, if I had done that I'd be kicking myself too!
I really like .22 magnum, and ill probably buy a barrel for my 455 to see what I get.

But 1 thing at a time - first up is the Ruger. I'm hoping to get some range time in this Saturday. Hoping....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had one for a few years. It was 20 years ago, and the gray metal and laminate in 22mag. It was a great shooter. No complaints other than it was heavy for a rimfire.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kragman1 not sure if anyone suggested it but the Nikon 3-9X EFR works well for me on my Ruger 77/22 - just heard today that Nikon is getting out of the scope business (haven’t confirmed that).....may have to squirrel a couple of those away!!

PennDog

p.s. my 77/22 (stainless boat paddle stock) is plenty accurate!!

Last edited by PennDog; 01/11/20.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks PennDog

Yeah, I've heard that too, but haven't seen any indications yet. Hope not.

I've got a Leupold M8 6X that should be good for it.
I'd like a different reticle but the custom shop isn't taking orders these days. Something about restructuring.

But I will keep an open for any deals on the EFRs. I wouldn't mind having one tucked away too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Your M8 will work just fine - the M8 6X compact AO is my favorite .22 hunting/informal competition scope but they are getting as rare as hen’s teeth and a whole lot more expensive.

PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love both of mine! Have not had any issues with either 22 Lr or 22 wmr. Both shoot everything I’ve tried very well. I didn’t pay as much as one would think for either, would love to have one in 17 to match the pair.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine's a walnut, blued model with factory open sights made in 91. I put a Leupold 2-7 VX2 on it; worked the trigger, shimmed the bolt and pressure bedded the fore end. It's not a target rifle but it's easy squirrel head accurate with either CCI HPs or CCI std. velocity ammo. IMO it's a good looking little sporting rifle that's more accurate than I can hold. Can't think of any bad on this one.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I love both of mine! Have not had any issues with either 22 Lr or 22 wmr. Both shoot everything I’ve tried very well. I didn’t pay as much as one would think for either, would love to have one in 17 to match the pair.

Sako, are those both threaded barrel guns, or did they still offer V-Block attachment barrels for a for a while when they went to the new-style stocks?

============================================================

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine is a first year model, bought about 6 months after they came out. Found it used at a nearby gunshop, Apparently the owner did not think it exciting enough. Ove the years it has become a long term project rifle. As it was one of the ones without open sights, first thing was to put a Leupold 4x rimfire scope on it which stayed there for for well over 35 years. Along the way I worked on the trigger, ending up with a Vorquartsen sear and the stock trigger, which now has a crisp 2.5lb pull. About 3 years I wanted a bit more accuracy and swapped the barrel for a Shilen sporter contour barrel, and shimmed the bolt. Now in my mid 70's I thought a bit better glass would help so swapped out the fixed 4x scope for a Leupold 3-9 rimfire adjustable objective with extended focal range scope. I actually picked up several of those scopes as they were being discontinued. Last time I shot it I was hitting about 5/8" groups at 50 yards. Someone younger and steadier could probably do better. Still pretty good for a sporter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

Sako, are those both threaded barrel guns, or did they still offer V-Block attachment barrels for a for a while when they went to the new-style stocks?

I dont think these are the threaded models

Dont eat the big white mint!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A stainless/boat paddle 77/22 was the first rimfire I ever bought, picked one up sometime around '95 or '96. Its been actually pretty accurate, it used to love the old plastic cased 100rd boxes of Winchester solids. I didn't really care for the stock, but it was the only option in a stainless .22 LR at the time...I would have much rather had a laminated stock with the target gray finish. The only real negative I've ever had was the stock began fading a bit within the first year or two, but wasn't an issue if you kept it oiled up a little.

Sadly, I haven't shot it in at least a year, but I did just swap out the scope...so looks like there will be some range time in the near future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

I dont think these are the threaded models

They’re threaded.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just read through this topic again and I read six mentions of "shimming the bolt". In laymen's terms what is being done with the bolt and why is/was it necessary? Thanks.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just read through this topic again and I read six mentions of "shimming the bolt". In laymen's terms what is being done with the bolt and why is/was it necessary? Thanks.

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic video, thank you.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought two of the standard, walnut stocked models in .22 LR not too long after they came out. Both shot very well. I seldom modify guns, get triggers worked on, etc. If they don't shoot well out-of-the-box, I don't keep them long. Some years later, probably mid-1990s, I bought a laminate & stainless 77/22 with a 24" barrel slightly heavier the early guns. It's always shot very well. It may take a while to find the best ammo for a particular rifle, but these guns should all be capable of about half-inch groups at 50 yds.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a newer 77/22 Mag that I love, shoots very well and IMHO there is just something about a blued and walnut rifle. The 77/22's just look good to me. However it will not compete accuracy wise with my Marlin XT 22 Mag. which cost less than tuning up a 77/22, but it is butt ugly. Life is too short to hunt with a ugly rifle. This is one reason I've never shouldered a Ruger American.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
191 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.