-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll add Dwight Schuh and Gene Wensel to the list as being very helpful to me.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bell and Fred bear....had to learn to hunt for myself...and reading about those guys was and inspiration for sure..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Howard Hill

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Killed my first deer with a "Hills Hornet" broad head..Still got it..deer`s long gone.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tom hoffman all 28 north american and all in pope and young I've hunted with him you would never know

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would also include Theodore S. Van Dyke, author of THE STILL-HUNTER, originally published in 1904. Any close-cover hunter who hasn't read this is at a disadvantage.

Of course, the definition of "still" hunting has varied over the decades, including regionally. In Van Dyke's day it meant moving slowly through the woods, with frequent stops, but now it can mean sitting in a stand--and Van Dyke's still-hunting is often called "stalking," especially in the South.

Was doing a search for an older DogZapper post and stumbled on this thread. Have been reading an online scan at Internet Archive of "The Still Hunter" by the wood stove all afternoon. Not how I planned to spend the day, but well worth the read. Thanks for the tip John. Really interesting to think that it was written well before the turn of the Century and still holds up in so many ways.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "greatest hunter" is most likely known only to God, was not a modern "sport hunter", and probably didn't carry a rifle or necessarily even a bow.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
On a personal level my Uncle Jimmy. Absolutely could decipher the woods and waters better than any human I have ever seen. Literally grew up in the woods and it provided for his family when he was growing up. If he wasn’t killing deer or catching fish there was no use any of us going. His .243 had north of 500 deer to its credit in his last 20 years of his life.
GreggH

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have read many sniper books and with respect to all Carlos Hathcock shot mostly officer`s with one shot kills or some of the harder snipers to find and kill . yes he did not shoot the most enemy soldiers as one or two other sniper`s did , but they shot and killed the easy regular enemy soldiers crossing rivers .his assignments were many times by himself for one head officer and one shot in very dangerous locations. as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos alot,also my good friend was a elite Army sniper for 8 years in the service both of these soldiers said there has never been or ever will be a elite Sniper as good as Carlos Hathcock ever again. >this was kinda neat: one day when i was hunting elk with this Viet Nam Marine, i asked him this > did you ever meet Carlos Hathcock ? his answer took me by surprise > yep we use too hunt together . then i said where? he said North Viet Nam.

here is a question when someone is hunting you with a rifle as you are hunting him in the jungle and you shoot him first and thru his scope the bullet goes and kills this enemy soldier how can that be top ? Carlos Hathcock did this .

Last edited by pete53; 01/20/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I read John Hunter's book Hunter in the 7th grade and that fired me up! Later in life I read John Taylor's books and he really fanned the flames for hunting and especially hunting rifles. Most recently I like Francis Sell -- who did a lot of difficult western Oregon deer hunting with only a couple of basic rifles...

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mule Deer, my copy of The Still-Hunter says first copy was in 1882, is that correct? The newest rifle model I could find in the book was the Winchester 1876. Great read, thanks for bringing up !

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hemingway,. I feel he had a great love of the game he pursued. Include Norm Strung, and Ted Trueblood in that same category

In my opinion I think that matters more than number of heads on the wall

I'd also include our own Mule Deer, as well as Boddington

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

P
P
Sasha Siemel - Jaguars in the jungle with a spear...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jay,

Yes, 1882 was the first printing..

It is indeed interesting how well The Still-Hunter holds up today, especially for deer hunters. But back then he was one of the first who hunted deer across a wide area, essentially from coast to coast.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pete53
i have read many sniper books and with respect to all Carlos Hathcock shot mostly officer`s with one shot kills or some of the harder snipers to find and kill . yes he did not shoot the most enemy soldiers as one or two other sniper`s did , but they shot and killed the easy regular enemy soldiers crossing rivers .his assignments were many times by himself for one head officer and one shot in very dangerous locations. as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos alot,also my good friend was a elite Army sniper for 8 years in the service both of these soldiers said there has never been or ever will be a elite Sniper as good as Carlos Hathcock ever again. >this was kinda neat: one day when i was hunting elk with this Viet Nam Marine, i asked him this > did you ever meet Carlos Hathcock ? his answer took me by surprise > yep we use too hunt together . then i said where? he said North Viet Nam.

here is a question when someone is hunting you with a rifle as you are hunting him in the jungle and you shoot him first and thru his scope the bullet goes and kills this enemy soldier how can that be top ? Carlos Hathcock did this .

"as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos"

There are NO F_cking Soldiers in the Corps!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to say.... Some people wrote a lot about hunting.. some simply hunted. Would assume someone along these lines.

[Linked Image from i938.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow! That's quite the room

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Very impressive collection.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/20/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Derzu Uzala
Sasha Siemel & the native who taught him
And a thousand other natives and locals who fed their families and tribes but were never written about.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Money hunting vs a true hunting

Id more likely admire someone who consistently took deer and elk on public ground with a bow as opposed someone who paid someone to guide them to an animal on private high fenced ground to shoot them

Originally Posted by Whitebird
Hard to say.... Some people wrote a lot about hunting.. some simply hunted. Would assume someone along these lines.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.