R
Anyone suggest a decent land owner tag option for New Mexico elk

Thanks

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ribka:

I would like to hunt in New Mexico also, and I live a lot closer than you do. The problem, as you have probably discovered, is that many, many tags are issued to land owners, and not a lot of public land tags. OK so I'm willing to pay a landowner for access to his property and if that means paying more than the face value of the tag, then that's probably OK. The biggest problem that I see, is that I can't find a list of land owners who have tags. I'm going to be watching this thread and I hope that someone identifies a source for such a list.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
New Mexico used to provide a listing online of which ranches had Landowner tags, location, number of tags and, I think, contact info. I know Ive seen it before. I would suppose it’s still online somewhere.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The big majority of NM landowners contract with outfitters. There may be a few small landowners that simply sell a tag to an individual, but I haven't heard of that in a while. If a small parcel is located next to a larger ranch an outfitter will often lease both parcels. Or several parcels.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The big majority of NM landowners contract with outfitters. There may be a few small landowners that simply sell a tag to an individual, but I haven't heard of that in a while. If a small parcel is located next to a larger ranch an outfitter will often lease both parcels. Or several parcels.

Yep...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I drew a tag in unit 34 and got a nice bull on public land..... Anyway, the Outfitter I used also guided on private land. 2 days before the season opened, he had numerous landowners call him while I was there drastically dropping their prices for last minute hunts. If you can be that flexible, there are deals.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JRS3
I drew a tag in unit 34 and got a nice bull on public land..... Anyway, the Outfitter I used also guided on private land. 2 days before the season opened, he had numerous landowners call him while I was there drastically dropping their prices for last minute hunts. If you can be that flexible, there are deals.

34 is a great tag....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wpfb-file/eplus-landowner-list-pmz-pdf/

NM Elk Core landowner list. Get a case of beer and start calling! Of course you might start with the unit you really want and save the lesser units for the end of the case! Hahaha

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just look up a tag broker.. you’ll pay a premium that way but you’ll have options.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This.

Originally Posted by NMpistolero

NM Elk Core landowner list. Get a case of beer and start calling! Of course you might start with the unit you really want and save the lesser units for the end of the case! Hahaha

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If NM’s list doesn’t keep you occupied, you can start on the SCR list.

If you do some homework, you can also buy tags over the counter in Secondary Management zones with written permission from the LO.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/hunting/maps/e-plus/EPLUS-SCR-Landowner-List-PMZ.pdf

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
SCR and the special mgt zones might be the ticket like SLM said. You can probably find a better deal and they are probably not all bought up by brokers.

Jared
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

thanks

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I wonder why they stop the unit listing at 53 or so? My ranches are in 55 and you don't even see em.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I think it’s a partial list, I believe they are still getting contracts signed?

Jared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by JRS3

34 is a great tag....

I lived in the southern sacramento mnts. for 10 years and never could draw a tag for either bull or cow/muzzleloader or rifle seasons. That said. Unit 34 is a Land of Big Bulls and lotsa, lotsa elk.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
55A is on the special management zone list, 55B is a secondary management unit.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
I wonder why they stop the unit listing at 53 or so? My ranches are in 55 and you don't even see em.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got a cow tag off a bulletin board in a Laundromat in Reserve for a good price. If you get tired of cold calling might run an add in the local paper just be careful. I distrust Craigslist listings, too many scammers, but some are legitimate.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I looked at the NM Elk Core landowner list. Admittedly I don't know much about the requirements to get landowner tags but I didn't expect to see people with 3, 5 or 8 acres on the list.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
305 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.