Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting the Interlock ring is where expansion stopped. I'll be trying the 103 6mm this season if I get the same jacket separation then will probably go back to the 95 gr. BT. One place we are likely to see some big hogs and I like a tougher bullet for body shots on them. The ELD-X will probably be fine on them too.

Nice Buck.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like excellent performance to me. All that lead that was shed tore stuff up all along the wound channel causing rapid death.

Just what you want!

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a hard time picturing an empty jacket with that much frontal area doing a lot of penetration by itself, so I'd wager core stuck with it for most of the wound channel. It did kill pretty quickly. I heard the death run, which was through a fairly open section of woods, and guessed he made it 40-50yards. When we made a pass with flashlights at that distance, there he was.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The core can keep going and usually has a good wad cutter or mushroom shape to it. I have heard of instances where the bullet shed it's jacket fairly quickly but the core went on and exited. I have found large pieces of jacket near the entry but never the entire jacket. I have also had bullets caught on the offside hide and when I removed them the core fell out of the jacket. I call these controlled failure bullets, they all came from very dead deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy shot a buck this year with the same bullet athough about 200yds. Broadside shot just behind the shoulder, no exit and an identical empty jacket under the opposite hide.

Makes me worry about a less than ideal shot. Hit them in the liver and they might run a long ways.. one little 6.5 hole and no exit isn't making much of a blood trail..

You can lead a horse...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JPro
If you really need high odds of an exit with a 6.5, I've had good luck with the Accubond and the TTSX.

What grain ttsx did you use? I love the ttsx in our .223's. I can't imagine I wouldn't like it in the 6.5

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve killed a handful a white-tails with the 143 eld-x. Out of 5, all but one didn’t take a step. One, shot by a buddy was well placed shot, but she ran about 40 yards and zero blood. I’ve killed coyotes and fox with massive damage and one bobcat that went in and out with little expansion and minimal blood. The take away is, they all died very quickly and their insides of non exit kills were completely destroyed...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great buck and nice shooting.
I’ll stay away from those, but did load up some 130 game changers in 6.5 CM as a deer round and target round. Hmm.
I hope the game changers stay together better than that. If not I am working up LRX load as elk round that could always be used in deer.

Last edited by Dre; 03/02/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Nice buck. Your photo convinces me to use stouter bullets like the Nosler AB or one of the copper monos. There are much more dependable bullets available. Why take the chance.

Last edited by Hesp; 03/03/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats! What part of LA are you hunting?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats. Looks like great bullet performance. Good penetration on a quartering shot and apparently enough penetration to put it down quickly. I’ve got a case of factory loaded 143s laying around. May need to try them on deer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How do you like the HMR?

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think the HMR is very well done for what it is, a fairly heavy tactical-style bolt gun with adjustable stock. The action is slick and well-designed, they shoot well, and the stock has very good ergos. I'd rather have an HMR than a comparable 700 if they're priced similarly. With that being said, I sold mine off to replace it with another adjustable 6.5CM that's a couple pounds lighter and wears a shorter, threaded barrel for a can (Sig Cross).

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JPro very nice buck. I've only caught one 143eldx and got almost what you saw. Mine is running 2625 at the muzzle and I hit this Oryx at the top of the blood drip. Left shoulder destroyed lungs shredded from bone and bullet fragments and a 54 grain jacket was in the offside armpit just under the hide. On three wheels he went about 35 yards.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JPro
Good questions, jorge. I'm going to keep going with that bullet and see what more field data shows. MV on that load is 2,760fps.

I'd never consider the ELD-X (or SST, or Gamechanger) to be a great penetrator when compared to heavier-built designs, but it seems like it should be a good bullet for medium game when launched at moderate speeds. I noticed that they are now making a 110gr ELD-X in .257, which should fly nicely at 3,400 from my .257wby, but I think I'm going to pass on that combo for my kind of hunting.... wink

Might be a good recipe for scrambled coyote.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good shooting, can't call that bullet failure exactly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As much as I want to be a fan of the ELD-X, I can’t allow myself to have total confidence in the bullet. I’ve only shot about 12 deer with the bullet, but results have been inconsistent. I’ve also witnessed several other deer shot with the bullet that mirrored my results.

I’ve seen pencil throughs, impact explosions, long death runs with no blood and bang flops. All of these shots have been within 200 yards to be fair. I’m not sure if it’s jacket or core inconsistencies, but no doubt results varied from bullet to bullet. I’m not talking about poor or marginal shot placement either. I’m talking broadside, double lung/heart shots.

I’ve killed my KY buck this year (not with the ELD-X), so I’m now going on doe patrol for the rest of the season. I’m thinking of whacking 5-6 with the 6 Creedmoor and the 103. If I do, I’ll share my results.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on a nice buck

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’m thinking of whacking 5-6 with the 6 Creedmoor and the 103. If I do, I’ll share my results.

I've shot a dozen or so with that bullet from a 6 Creedmoor.
So far, it's worked exceedingly well on shoulders and in boilers although none of them have been at spitting distance.

Will be interested in your findings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

321 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.