Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14489469 01/21/20
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MY nephew bought a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm for his Kimber 243, it had a #1 Reticle in it and he was just thumping coyotes with it, I had a Herter's 1-4x20mm scope with a #1 in it in the 1960's and it was hell on deer in the northwoods of MN. Fast forward to this past fall, I bought a Meopta 1.5-6x40mm with a #1 in it and am absolutely loving it for called coyotes. It doesn't seem very popular any reason why?

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What does a #1 reticle look like?

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a link.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=C75E94498BA2CBA2AF08EA9A1B4F6AA85AC59017&thid=OIP.za2_TD_puzuq4CTxM0KPsQHaHa&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwaffen-mario.de%2Fegun%2Fabsehen%2Fabsehen1.jpg&exph=300&expw=300&q=german+%231+reticle&selectedindex=8&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,3,6

This might be better, It is the A-1 in the non-illuminated section.

https://schmidtundbender.de/en/products/reticles/hunting.html

Last edited by erich; 01/21/20.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
MY nephew bought a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm for his Kimber 243, it had a #1 Reticle in it and he was just thumping coyotes with it, I had a Herter's 1-4x20mm scope with a #1 in it in the 1960's and it was hell on deer in the northwoods of MN. Fast forward to this past fall, I bought a Meopta 1.5-6x40mm with a #1 in it and am absolutely loving it for called coyotes. It doesn't seem very popular any reason why?

It is does not allow for hold over as well as a duplex or 4a reticle. But for low light,or fast shooting in normal hunting conditions at reasonable ranges it is a grear hunting reticle. One of my favorites for timber or food plots and ag fields in low light which covers 99% of hunting east of the Mississippi for sure.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two Leupold M8 4x scopes with the original post & duplex reticle. They have a medium #1 type post to the cross wire and then thin to the top with duplex type side posts.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Originally Posted by erich

It is does not allow for hold over as well as a duplex or 4a reticle. But for low light,or fast shooting in normal hunting conditions at reasonable ranges it is a grear hunting reticle. One of my favorites for timber or food plots and ag fields in low light which covers 99% of hunting east of the Mississippi for sure.

Had one in a 4x, it was the fastest sight acquisition I have ever used.........too course for long range no doubt, but great on closer work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The #1 reticle is only popular with those that use it. It's not conducive to shooting small groups, target shooting, or holdovers at long range. However for shooting "things" at moderate range or low light, it's hard to beat. Before the advent of reliable illuminated reticles and night vision scopes, it was the choice of European hunters where 100 yards is a long shot and most hunting is at night.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the old version without the lighted dot in my 4x Schmidt and Bender. It is mounted on my 1909 Haenel and took a little getting use to.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by timbo762
It's not conducive to shooting small groups, target shooting, or holdovers at long range.

Agree on the holdovers part, but disagree that it's "not conducive to shooting small groups." I have 2 scopes with #1 reticles, as well as a couple of Trijicon Accupoints with the BAC triangle post reticle (similar concept to a #1), and I am able to shoot small groups with all. You just use the very tip of the triangle point as your POA. No aiming point could be finer than the tip of a sharp point. I've heard this statement made many times, and I think its lack of popularity (at least here in the US) and subsequent lack of use leads to this belief, just based on the thickness of the post below the aiming point.

Ted
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been seriously thinking about using it at an egg shoot, balance the egg on the point and have it sighted to hit 1" over the point at that distance.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one in a 6x Hensoldt. I tried to like it, but I haven't succeeded, and took that scope out of service in favour of one with a Nr 4 reticle. As well as the issue of holdover, and blocking out a lot of target, I found that elevation control was not so easy/instinctive, especially in poor light or on quick shots. If I was to have a post I'd prefer a flat top, but I much prefer a Nr 4 or a duplex with heavy side bars over any post.

It appears to me that it is a reticle originally designed for people used to barleycorn front sights, and I have never liked them either.

YMMV

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My drilling wears a scope with that reticle, it a great reticle for deer .
Ronnie

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve always wondered why nobody has flipped a #1 upside down. Would be the same for low light shooting but could be used for holdover.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have the Nazi #1 in a 2-7X33.

It is one of the best reticles out there IMO.

I have never had issues shooting tiny groups with or holding over in the traditional fashion. Works great from your dick tip to 350ish.

For whatever reason, people's offhand shooting seems to improve when they give it a try. I'm surprised they are not more popular.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I didn't like the one I used because my subconscious always wanted to peek behind the post to see what was there. I don't feel like it pushes your eyesight toward the center. I am much faster on the shot with a duplex which functions like an "open window" to force your eye to naturally seek the center where the most light is available.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why is it not popular?

That's means assuming that what IS popular is somehow Superior.

T when you say hunting in the US it means, mainly, whitetail deer.
Which are not hunted driven but from stands the majority of the time.
Therefore what's "popular" fits that model of hunting deer.

Holdover Scopes, in my area, are unpopular because the woods are so think you can't see more than 100 yards till January unless your on a food plot or power line.

Best scope for my area...#4.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So re: comment about groups - some #1s, like in the 4x I had, was very blunt on the top end, and yes a finer 'Point' or a flat narrow top like the old post reticle in Weaver and I have even seen them in Bushnell long ago, can be better on paper.

As to reversing the tip to point down for holdover, well I am not so sure that would be worthwhile, and it would obscure the upper part of your game. Let's say a Deer is in your FOV, as they are now, a #1 does not obscure any of the animal's body above the reticle or the deer's head when holding on vitals.

Deflave your 2-7x from the custom shop? Might be a finer post than what I had in my 4x33.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From the reticle examples you posted, I would happily use the L1. But, how often do you see a reticle like that available?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
This might be better, It is the A-1 in the non-illuminated section.

https://schmidtundbender.de/en/products/reticles/hunting.html[/quote]

I have an old Tasco 3x9x30 with an A2 from the link above....sure wish I could find a newer, brighter scope with the same reticle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg :-)

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 65BR
So re: comment about groups - some #1s, like in the 4x I had, was very blunt on the top end, and yes a finer 'Point' or a flat narrow top like the old post reticle in Weaver and I have even seen them in Bushnell long ago, can be better on paper.

As to reversing the tip to point down for holdover, well I am not so sure that would be worthwhile, and it would obscure the upper part of your game. Let's say a Deer is in your FOV, as they are now, a #1 does not obscure any of the animal's body above the reticle or the deer's head when holding on vitals.

Deflave your 2-7x from the custom shop? Might be a finer post than what I had in my 4x33.

Yeah it was ordered.

The German #1 they call it.

I love it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.