Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So I stopped at a local store today to pick up a package of pellets. Long story short, after some ball busting and laughs, I ended up buying more pellets than I had intended and they threw in a very clean Slavia and hard case that someone had left with them when they declined to buy it.

Just gave it a quick try - 1st shot was a little high, next three to point of aim and all touching (from across my short basement) and I'm not good with an airgun. Happy shooter here.
Mild velocity but not weak - they bounce out of the trap but not too hard. Maybe 600 fps? Easy to cock though. No twang, no thump, just a smooth report.
Trigger is a very simple single stage, no safety. Long pull but it releases well enough.
Can't find any plastic on it and I doubt its made of anything but steel and beechwood. Maybe it has an aluminum top hat or something like that.
Sights are a solidly made spring steel ladder (elevation only) and a blade front, both on dovetails. Really good sight picture for all that it only possible to drift for windage.

It seems like a great plinker and I like it. If I'd had one of these when I was a kid, I would have been perpetually in need of pellets. It was all I could do to keep myself in BBs, and they were a lot cheaper.

If you come across one and want a fun gun for the kids or grandkids (or you) to plink with, you could do a lot worse.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
One correction - I noticed that the trigger didn't have a strong return and it was one of the things I oiled before I put it away. after sitting overnight, return is improved and so is the sear engagement, making the trigger something to contend with.
Still as accurate when I cheat and lean a hand against my chimney, but the heavy trigger makes it a challenge.
Maybe not for kids after all.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I got to spend a little time with it today. Shooting 15 yards outdoors with a front rest only.
Putting my hand on the rest and the rifle on the back of my hand was decent but erratic.
Last two three-shot groups were with the tip of the wood stock directly on the hard rubber rest - that got me two roughly 1/4 inch groups with Crosman Premier HPs. That was with the very 3rd world open sights and that long heavy trigger.

Most pellets just fall into the chamber, including the Crosmans, but they still shot. Gonna look for some that run large.

I picked up a Leupold M8 2X pistol scope yesterday that will probably go on it once I make up a mount to fit in the rear sight slot.
No idea if I should even try to anything with the trigger - don't want to do anything to make it unsafe.

Still, it shot so much better than the Hatsan .25 (another story....) that I'm very pleased with it.
Of course, now I want to get some power out of it.... and probably spoil it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have you looked inside yet. I THINK it might have a leather cup piston seal. If so a few drops of oil into the front air hole and rifle left muzzle up for a day or so might help the leather seal. Give it time to soak into the leather which may have hardened over the years.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those look like cool little rifles. I bought a couple of old Daisy 131's(Gamo Expo) for twenty-five a piece that are about the same size and power. I left one stock, and put a 1"recoil pad on the other to increase the LOP, and a compact 4x32 scope. It's real accurate within it's power range of about 30 yards or so. Quiet, easy to cock and load, and a lot of fun to fart around with. Weighs next to nothin.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one of the Slavia 620 also, I bought it used about 30 years ago for $15 or so. Mine has a great trigger on it, the chamber is tight and it is surprisingly accurate, it is without a doubt the most fun pellet rifle I have ever owned. I am not sure what the velocity is but it is pretty low because with good follow through it is possible to see the pellet in-flight at times. I hadn't thought of lubing the piston cup seal, pretty sure that would help the velocity some - thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks Alan

Thanks for bringing that up.

I'm not sure which oil, as I've read somewhere not to use a particular kind but I don't remember which.

Ill see if I can find a mention on the net then get it done.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You don't want to use any petroleum based oils or solvents in a spring piston air gun because the force of the spring moving when firing can ignite the oil. What you want is a silicone based oil that is designed for spring piston air guns. Just Google Air Gun Chamber Lubricating Oil.

For the trigger issue Google GRT-III. This is a replacement trigger. This company makes several different ones designed to fit common designs of air guns.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
The other reason one does not want to us petroleum based oil is that IF the piston seal is not leather the oil will take most of them apart post haste.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
F
F
Hi All,

My first post here, sorry of it's not in the right spot.

I'm restoring a very old and very loved CZ Slavia 620 but I can't seem to find a trigger assembly (the old one is lost 😡).
I'm in Australia, any help would be much appreciated. I'm even keen to machine one if I can get my hands on a technical drawing.

Thanks in advance 👍

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.