Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking at buying a good used O/U 12 gauge. Lots of choices but looking at Remington Peerless, Ruger Red Label, Weatherby Orion and of course Browning Citori. Main use would be hunting upland and waterfowl with some sporting clays thrown in. Budget is around 1000.00. School me on the different options. I shoot left handed due to being left eye dominant but am actually right handed, if that matters.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I guess I could add in a Winchester 101 as well.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Remington Peerless is a good looking gun, but the reviews are a bit sketchy. I looked at one a while back too, but the reviews scared me off. I’m told that the Red Labels deliver a bit more felt recoil. I’d look for a Winchester 101 or an old Beretta. I’m more of a semi-auto guy, so hopefully some fixed breech guys will chime in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waterfowl----Steel shot & O/U don't really go together to well. You better make sure it can handle steel shot------that will rule out a lot of the older guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
citori crossover...........
look for some new old stock guns in somebodys inventory, where they are willing to bargain with you.....if you have to, pay 500 more and have a brand new gun.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Waterfowl----Steel shot & O/U don't really go together to well. You better make sure it can handle steel shot------that will rule out a lot of the older guns.

Not really true. Steel shot can be shot out of all the major companies Over and Under from the last 20 plus years. Of course I would stick to I/C and LMOD chokes, and stay away from any tighter chokes. Also you can shoot Bismuth and Tungsten shot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would stay clear of Rugers. I would say find a good Citori or a Beretta.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would stay clear of Rugers. I would say find a good Citori or a Beretta.

Yes... and add SKB/Weatherby.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Not really true. Steel shot can be shot out of all the major companies Over and Under from the last 20 plus years. Of course I would stick to I/C and LMOD chokes, and stay away from any tighter chokes. Also you can shoot Bismuth and Tungsten shot.

More like 40+ years.

Basically, if it has factory choke tubes steel (and any other non-toxic shot) will not be a problem. Choke tubes became common in the mid- to late 1980s which was

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

More like 40+ years.

Basically, if it has factory choke tubes steel (and any other non-toxic shot) will not be a problem. Choke tubes became common in the mid- to late 1980s which was

I was trying not to hurt any feelings. This is the snowflake fire. So had I said 40 plus someone would have found it offensive. smile

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/21/20.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably Battue! smile

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

More like 40+ years.

Basically, if it has factory choke tubes steel (and any other non-toxic shot) will not be a problem. Choke tubes became common in "everyday" guns in the mid- to late 1980s which was during the phasing out of lead shot for waterfowl. There may be individual tubes that may not be steel rated but the gun barrels would be able to handle steel shot.

Going back a decade or so further, I wouldn't expect a problem with steel in fixed choke guns from the companies already mentioned (and to be clear, it would be the Japanese made SKB/Weatherby and not the newer Turkish guns)provided they were not tighter than Modified, shot size was no larger than BBB, and velocity was kept in a sane range and not some super duper high velocity garbage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If you could hear that deep throated growl, you would be more careful with your words....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
smile smile smile smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Look deep into those eyes....He is just waiting to pounce....You think Toby was viscous? You can't imagine....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll be sure to wear my bacon suit! smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wise move. 👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
About the only way I could possibly get Merlot to bit me. smile

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
He gives kisses to my kids! grin I think they would trade me for Merlot! cry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Look deep into those eyes....He is just waiting to pounce....You think Toby was viscous? You can't imagine....

So you're saying that raw hide bone next to him isn't.... It's a femur of his last victim? grin I can see that, oh, I can see that. laugh

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.