Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Is there a way to find pressures if the bullet manufacture does not list it? For instance, I want to keep pressures at maybe 45-46k CUP in my 358 Win. I was using Barnes data because I amusing Hammer bullets. Using IMR 4198 Barnes shows a start load of 40 grains for 2586 fps and a max of 44 grains for 2845 fps. Am assuming the max load is 50k+ CUP, but where would 46k be? In the middle?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You don't have enough information.

I'm interested in your motivation for loading to that particular pressure level. What's up?

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Built Rifle off a small ring large thread Mauser. Was recommended that I keep the loads below the 50k cup level.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look at Lyman and other reloading manuals with pressures. You should be able to find both cast and jacketed loads for IMR 4198 then you can get a rough approximation of the pressure range your looking for. Quick load can also give an approximate number but I don't have it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You are playing Russian Roulette with a controlled explosion.

The serious issue is Original Heat treat combined with Work Hardening from years of use

Older Speer Manual has reduced load information.

Life is precious, handle with care..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The short answer is no. Anything you do is only an estimate unless you have the equipment to measure pressure. The only way to get close is measuring velocity but it's all a SWAG.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I think Quick Load gives pressure. I don't use it myself, but I believe I've heard that is true.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by keith

The serious issue is Original Heat treat combined with Work Hardening from years of use

So you would say even mid level 358 win loads are dangerous?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tim_K
I think Quick Load gives pressure. I don't use it myself, but I believe I've heard that is true.

It will deliver an educated, calculated guess and is often better than nothing at all if you're out in no-man's-land but it can be pretty misleading at times. Too many variables.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hammer bullets are not in Quick Load, so I can't help you there.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Whoa there...I have no clue what a Hammer bullet is...no clue about weight...no clue on bearing surface. But in a conventional bullet...200 grain Silvertip with 40 grains of 4198 gave 2495 fps out of a 25" bbl at 52,000 CUP. This is from the IMR handloaders guide. A case full of 4064, 49 grs will give 2525fps at 46,200 CUP.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hammer bullets are fairly new....lead free. They do have grooves cut into them somewhat like Barnes but different. It is supposed to reduce pressure. They are 178 grains so I was going off of Barnes data for 180 grain bullets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by keith

So you would say even mid level 358 win loads are dangerous?

What Keith is telling you is that without having actual data with a given case, primer, powder and bullet, You cannot even make a good guess. Guessing even when you have reason to believe you may be good at guessing is dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to loading, and doubly so when it comes to loading for known weak actions. REMEMBER even with a good pressure tested load you are still guessing about the pressure in YOUR rifle.

Star with getting SAAMI specs for max pressure for that rifle. That is what FACTORY ammo will be loaded to. If that is above 50k then you need to find a load recipe that has been pressure tested under 50k and follow it exactly. You do not want to do a high speed disassembly of a rifle with your face and hands in close proximity to it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jevyod...Who built this rifle for you? If built by a competent smith, he should be able to tell you if the build can take the pressure the 358 produces with no QUESING on your part. ASK the question..

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Malcolm Ballistic Tooling. He said he woukd not drive the socks off it but would so a middle of the road load.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Malcolm Ballistic Tooling. He said he woukd not drive the socks off it but would so a middle of the road load.

Why would they fit and chamber a barrel to an action unsuitable for factory ammunition in the chambered cartridge?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why would anyone care how much pressure they're creating as long as it's not to much?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course you could always proof it. Load up a few max loads, tie it down, get a long string, get behind a barricade and pull the string.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jevyod...Ask the smith to work up some loads for you. You`re concerned now, I assume with out having shot it, I`m thinking if you do load for it, each time you shoot, you`re going to wonder if it`s going to let go.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well I was not initially concerned until someone else told me it was a small ring large thread mauser which supposedly is weaker than just a small ring. The gunsmith twsted it with loads 1 grain under max and I already fired it 40 times and some of those were max loads ( as per hornady manual) I am more worried about the long term affect of running full bore loads all the time

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.