Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Things may have changed, but it used to be you could not fly AA to London and transfer your gun to BA. That language is no longer on the AA website, but that does not means anything. You will need to call AA and see if they will make the transfer. I would suggest flying BA to London and then BA onwards. On BA you call them, and give them the brand , serial number and caliber. Several weeks before you fly and the confirm about three days before you depart. At the airport you will fill out the paperwork and keep a copy with you for your return flight back home. It’s very easy, but expensive.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Well after much confusion on my part and getting little info from the airlines, this is what I have found. Now we don't fly out until June, so we will see how it all works. We booked our tickets with American Airlines and that is all AA has to do with it. We go to the British Airways counter, fly on BA planes and follow BA rules. As stated above, call BA 3 months ahead of time and give them firearms info and again 3 days before your flight. Check in your bags and gun case and pay a fee of about 160.00 and fill out a form there at the counter and that is suppose to be it. lf this all the case, it shouldn't be to bad. I will repost after we get back. Thank you all for your imput, Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I suggest using Travel With Guns. They know the details about flights. Never ever try doing it yourself unless you are very experienced.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pancho1
Oh,, I forgot to mention, Emirates was glad for us to use their company unlike Delta Atlanta personnel who will occasionally deign to do you a favor and let you on their airplane. ATLANTA - MOST RACIST AIRPORT I'VE EVER BEEN IN!

I'll echo this. I'll never clear customs again in Atlanta. ANY other option is better.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a "funny" story from a trip home from Namibia several years ago. Outbound via Newark-Heathrow-Joburg-Windhoek was no problem with gun in one locked "golf" case (stuffed with the majority of my related hunting gear) and ammo in a separate standard luggage. I had a good week-long hunt bagging gold metal Kudu, Zebra, and Gemsbok. I then traveled the country for a month as a standard tourist before heading back home. On return flights my mistake was I left all my loaded 30-06 ammo with my PH, but kept a single fired brass shell in my gear as a souvenir. It happened to be in the same locked case as my rifle. MISTAKE! Upon plane transfer in London, I had taken my seat on the flight, the stew came on PA saying there was a departure delay, and a HUGE security agent in full armor came aboard, was led to my seat, and asked (actually, ordered) me to come off the plane with him. I was led to the tarmac near a baggage cart, I was shown my golf case, and a second security agent opened his hand to display the fired cartridge they had removed from it (via TSA key). They asked me if I had any other ammunition or components anywhere. I didn't. Then he told me the cartridge case (luckily not the rifle or entire locking case) was being seized. They led me back to the gangway and let me reboard. Luckily the whole thing only delayed the flight about 20 minutes, and while the agents were professional and even a little humorous, the most flak I got was from the gate agent who complained I didn't inform her I was traveling with a firearm in checked luggage. Of course, there was no requirement (at least in 2005) to do so, as I hadn't touched the case since Windhoek.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The British Bulldog lost its nuts a long time ago.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I made the trip from Denver to JNB on BA in Sept 2016. I would never do it again. I found SAA flight from JFK a better fit for me. Just get on the plane and get it over with. The long lay over in London was torture, making the trip seem much longer. The British Airway's staff where a bunch of pricks in Denver and didn't seem to have a clue on how to check our guns, and to make matters worse, the guns where checked through on the way home from Zim and we ended up in the basement of the airport in JNB on the way home with the South African police looking for a bribe after a young angry looking black man at the BA desk sent us to have our guns checked out. I would personally avoid British Airways and JNB like the plague. Depending on your final destination much better ways to get there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it doesn't make much sense for most or all Americans, but I've flown through Amsterdam twice with no issues. I would do it again. I have to apply for a free transit permit for the rifle and ammo, but it is easy to do.

KLM is a great airline. Great entertainment and food. The dam Airbus seats could be wider, but the 777 seats were fine. Great staff.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/06/20.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Pancho1
Oh,, I forgot to mention, Emirates was glad for us to use their company unlike Delta Atlanta personnel who will occasionally deign to do you a favor and let you on their airplane. ATLANTA - MOST RACIST AIRPORT I'VE EVER BEEN IN!

I'll echo this. I'll never clear customs again in Atlanta. ANY other option is better.

What does Customs have to do with Delta?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why fool with London? Go from Denver to Atlanta and then non-stop on Delta to J'burg.

This

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I go to Namibia again I will avoid J'burg completely. Probably have to go the Qatar to Windhoek route with a few hour layover in Doha on the way. Quatar is way cheaper than Delta anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand that KLM and Luthansa both were flying to Windhoek pre-Covid.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.