Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
My 1937 checkered F in 30-30 is one of mine.

Joe

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My prewar non-checkered EG (thanks to Roy) in 300! can't get much more honest that that.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have as many as most of you guys but the ones I have now I love.

Like choosing a favorite child.

eek

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Centennial Rifle. Early M1920 250-3000. Still the one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Here is a better pic.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have favorites for different things. Some for display, some for handling, some for performance in different conditions, some to look at.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one that started this illness!
A 1927 or so take down 99 30-30 that my Grandpa bought brand new at Sears Roebuck in Chicago with his sisters employee discount. I cant remember exactly what year or price he paid, But I have the original bill of sale in my file!
I also have a mounted 6 point buck he shot with it the first time he took it hunting in Wisconsin.
A pretty special rifle to me........
I had to go look it up!
Bought from Sears Roebuck 10/15/28 $79.50
Serial number shows 1921!
Doesnt seem like his sister got him too much or any of a discount! Especially for old stock!

Last edited by 06hunter59; 01/21/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
The one that started this illness!
A 1927 or so take down 99 30-30 that my Grandpa bought brand new at Sears Roebuck in Chicago with his sisters employee discount. I cant remember exactly what year or price he paid, But I have the original bill of sale in my file!
I also have a mounted 6 point buck he shot with it the first time he took it hunting in Wisconsin.
A pretty special rifle to me........

If I owned a 99 with that story: it would be my favorite as well.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like my very late model 23B best--light, simple, accurate, quiet, effective, plain dark wood w/schnable. Only one boo-boo--a Redfield 2 3/4X w/fine crosshairs. And I didn't even have to put it there.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mesa
I like my very late model 23B best--light, simple, accurate, quiet, effective, plain dark wood w/schnable. Only one boo-boo--a Redfield 2 3/4X w/fine crosshairs. And I didn't even have to put it there.

23B. Interesting choice. I have a 23C that's a nice little package.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My dad's 22 high power, sieth mount with an old, foggy 2.5 scope. I pestered him for months to let me go deer hunting with him and my older brothers when i was 11, to young to legally hunt in california at that time. My brothers both used savage 99s one 250-3000 and the other a 243 winchester. I never did get a deer with that gun but was on top of the world to be able to hunt with my dad and brothers with our 99s.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough question.

If I was forced at gunpoint to only keep one, I would probably pick the 1899 Deluxe 250–3000. It has the deep belly stock and exemplifies everything that made Savage a great firearm company back then.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by olgrouser
The Centennial Rifle. Early M1920 250-3000. Still the one:

Bert! You teaser!

An armed society is a polite society.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Grandpas EG in 300. Probably an early 50's rifle, my brother has it rusting in a closet, I'm sure...Jaeger side mount, Unertl Hawk 4x, Redfield peep. He had the stock shortened, as it was originally a gift for a friend. He had given the guy and his wife, each a 99, shortened the stock for the wife. Apparently, she decided not to hunt, and the guy gave it back. My brother got it when he died. No collector value. Don't care.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like them all, but being a old logger im a wood kinda guy,so i guess this one is my favorite of the moment !!!! 1899B in 32-40 with a 28" barrel.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If push came to shove, I suppose my favorite Savage would be my M1899 Deluxe .250-3000, 2nd variation.

My favorite of all time isn't a Savage though. Don't laugh, but it's a Mossberg .22 autoloader. Christmas, 1965, was a bitter cold morning made exciting by the brand new .22 poking out from under the tree. It isn't so much the gun (even though it was a constant companion on my adolescent forays into the wilds)- yea, it is a veritable POS- but more so the family warmth and love of my Dad that it represents. It would be my "cold dead hands" gun.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow, like Randy said, which one of my kids do you want? My 250R because it was my first. Maybe it's the one that got me going on guns with extra holes. It is factory drilled, and someone stuck a side mount on it. Then my 22HP with the Malcolm scope. It proves that guns with extra holes can still be desirable. Then the K with the Noske on it. It's the first one in the field next year. Especially if Iron sights will refurb the scope for me.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 01/22/20.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That's easy, since I only have one. The Tinkerbell Spl. 52EG. Maybe sometime this year another will fall in my lap that I can afford to make this a harder decision. grin Favorite rifle, all time, Ruger #1 7x57 mauser, I've had since the late 70's. It's been around and the last rifle I would get rid of. It has great memories.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If push came to shove, I suppose my favorite Savage would be my M1899 Deluxe .250-3000, 2nd variation.

My favorite of all time isn't a Savage though. Don't laugh, but it's a Mossberg .22 autoloader. Christmas, 1965, was a bitter cold morning made exciting by the brand new .22 poking out from under the tree. It isn't so much the gun (even though it was a constant companion on my adolescent forays into the wilds)- yea, it is a veritable POS- but more so the family warmth and love of my Dad that it represents. It would be my "cold dead hands" gun.

Gary,
I think a lot of us are in possession of firearms with great sentimental value. I have several from my dad and granddad. Two occupy the biggest space in my heart. The first is a Marlin .22 my dad gave me in '62 for my First Holy Communion. My mom almost schitt! The second is Ol' Reliable, a Rem 742 that he gave me on Christmas 1971. It's the memories and experiences I've had with that rifle that make me wonder about the stories in each of these 99's that I handle.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/22/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This probably will always be my favorite.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It now has a matching Savage era 16 gauge Sterlingworth, though not original wood, they sure look cool together.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Impossible to answer the question

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They're all good. Some are just better (to look at).
First year production 1899H 22HP, deluxe wood, B engraved w/owner name on belly, Lyman leaf sight, Lyman 29 1/2 tang sight.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My early 1899 SRC .303. Belonged to my paternal grandfather’s brother, a Scots mining engineer hired to work the steam engines in a coal mine in the Colorado/New Mexico area. He was shot during a bar discussion by a co-worker. My grandad’s Appalachian Scots family took up a collection to send the next eldest brother out to avenge the murder. The victim’s wife (6 kids!) gave him the rifle, but the perp was tried and went to the pen (was a Rough Rider with Teddy R, paroled shortly thereafter). Anyway, my grandad ended up with the rifle, the first high powered rifle I and my 3 cousins ever shot, and it went to his eldest son, then his son, then to me. It shoots pretty well still, but now hangs in my library in a place of honor.
PS: On New Years Eve every year the people in Lonaconing, MD would fire their weapons up onto nearby Jackson Mountain at midnight. The people who lived on the mountain did, I suppose, evacuate or go the the root cellar.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
SWS, that's a beautiful Rifle, no doubt about it.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
After years and years of searching my 99T in 22 HP

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
First year production 1899H 22HP, deluxe wood, B engraved w/owner name on belly, Lyman leaf sight, Lyman 29 1/2 tang sight.

Superb. That one checks off all the boxes for me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, very nice! Where's that one been hiding!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Shooooe weeeee whistle

Look at the wood on that thing.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Guess, I'll throw another log on the 'Fire,

Here's My 250-3000 first model, with mannlicher forearm.

If it's snows this weekend I might take it out for the squirrel biathlon (sling eyes already installed)!

[Linked Image]

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 01/22/20.

Gene
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Wowser!! That would be a definite favorite of mine. All very nice guns.

Joe

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Definately some "WICKED WALNUT" in that one ,its a beauty!!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Granddad's 1899 B that got me into all of this. This is on the farm he settled in northern Minnesota in 1901. I was born and raised there.

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
My Granddad's 1899 B that got me into all of this. This is on the farm he settled in northern Minnesota in 1901. I was born and raised there.

Is that a picture of him with the gun?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Winner! And All-Time Champeen!!

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes indeedy!!!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got the original wheel barrel to ! Great photo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my very 1st Savage 99 22-hi-power takedown to look at ,but my back-up deer rifle is a Savage 99 284 " the only reason its a back - up rifle i don`t wanna get any marks on it since i refinshed the stock "

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would pay to print an 8X10 of that amazing photo!
Tell how and how much!
I'd frame that and put it in my den.
If you saw my den, you would understand!
Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if I am a rule breaker again, but I just can't pick ONE rifle as a favorite. I have a bad case of Savageitis. If I pick up a gun and have no immediate admiration for it I simply put it back where it came from. I I do get THAT feeling I start shelling out for it cause it's coming home. I actually have 3 that keep me feeling warm and fuzzy all the time.

my 30-30 T

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

one of my 1899 250-3000's

And my 1st K that once I started looking they were coming out of the woodwork. But in the end, I got the best one. When I got it it was unfired. It isn't now.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=Longbeardking]I don't know if I am a rule breaker again, but I just can't pick ONE rifle as a favorite. I have a bad case of Savageitis.

It doesnt say what IS your favorite, it says whats ONE of your favorites. And you listed 3 dandy’s LBK.

Joe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I don't know if I am a rule breaker again, but I just can't pick ONE rifle as a favorite. I have a bad case of Savageitis. If I pick up a gun and have no immediate admiration for it I simply put it back where it came from. I I do get THAT feeling I start shelling out for it cause it's coming home. I actually have 3 that keep me feeling warm and fuzzy all the time.

my 30-30 T

And my 1st K that once I started looking they were coming out of the woodwork. But in the end, I got the best one. When I got it it was unfired. It isn't now.

You know............You are not a ton of help.
I have a dandy K Model 250-3000 with a Stith and a very nice and clear K4 Weaver, I was about to remove the Stith and scope and put back to original.
Now, I think I'll use it this fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If this rifle was for sale, I'd hurt myself reaching for my wallet!
WOW!
NICE!
I'm in Northern Illinois, where abouts are you?
I'm near Crystal Lake, Il

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would pay to print an 8X10 of that amazing photo!
Tell how and how much!
I'd frame that and put it in my den.
If you saw my den, you would understand!
Ed

I sent you an email with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
[quote=Longbeardking]I don't know if I am a rule breaker again, but I just can't pick ONE rifle as a favorite. I have a bad case of Savageitis.

It doesnt say what IS your favorite, it says whats ONE of your favorites. And you listed 3 dandy’s LBK.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My T in 30-30

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The last to go would be my father-in-law's 1899.

Favorite though.. I couldn't pick just one.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lightfoot,
You are the best!
Thanks Pal.
I owe you one......Ed
Some very cool rifles on this thread!

Last edited by 06hunter59; 01/22/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeneB
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ya don't see a lot of those two floating around.
I've seen the folding rifle at Savage Fest.
Looking forward to seeing the other.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For looking at and daydreaming the silent movies gun

LOL
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm drooling all over the keyboard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

my 30-30 T

You know............You are not a ton of help.
I have a dandy K Model 250-3000 with a Stith and a very nice and clear K4 Weaver, I was about to remove the Stith and scope and put back to original.
Now, I think I'll use it this fall!

There ya go. I took that K two years in a row before I saw I buck I wanted to kill. I have to admit though. I was happy to get it home and back in the safe "If" I had damaged it I would have nobody to blame but myself.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My favorite I guess was also my first, Savage 1914 250 Sav. Bought 56 years ago.
The one under it is a recent purchase, its only 168 numbers off from the one on top. Made same month maybe??

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As with others, my favorite is my 1899 250-3000. It speaks to me. My wife would tell you that I speak to it as well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

LOTS of exceptional guns.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My favorite is not a Savage it is a JC Higgins (Marlin ) that my folks got me for Christmas 1962. My first gun! The next favorite is a Savage 24MDL in 22 mag over 20 gauge that they got me the following birthday. Those will stay in the family.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
The 1899 250-3000’s are one of my favorites also.

Joe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All this porn Rick Bin may have to close the thread.

eek

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've said it before and I'll probably say it again. You gentleman have some of the finest 99', I've ever seen. I can't imagine what a Savage Fest must be like. Hard to find any rifles that compare locally.
Ok, I could drive down to Fireball2's place, not to far guess. Thanks for posting them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336
I've said it before and I'll probably say it again. You gentleman have some of the finest 99', I've ever seen. I can't imagine what a Savage Fest must be like. Hard to find any rifles that compare locally.
Ok, I could drive down to Fireball2's place, not to far guess. Thanks for posting them.

Come on down brother. We'll go to lunch.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 513JAKE
As with others, my favorite is my 1899 250-3000. It speaks to me. My wife would tell you that I speak to it as well.

This thread is full of beautiful Savages, but this is the one I would love to see when I open my safe door.
Just gorgeous, 513JAKE.! Just curious, is that original finish?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough choice. Sold a couple really nice ones last year. I really like the 1916 Model 1899 250-3000, but my nod goes to this 1938 checkered EG 30-30.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Eaglemountain, I am fairly certain that the wood has not been sanded or stained. But I do think that one of her former lovers put light layer of clear on to protect the finish. Fine by me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My two favorite savages. First year 1899 .250-3000, I found the/a original rear sight in the butt stock but haven't put it on yet. This is how I bought it. Not as nice as others have posted but one of my favorites and my first 1899.

The second is s M24 410/.22. the first gun my dad bought when he was a young teen, and passed to me last year.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

.357 Max / 20ga

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
"Come on down brother. We'll go to lunch" I'd like that Fireball, I'll buy. Maybe when the rain slows down. grin Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

.357 Max / 20ga

You have my attention.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Tough choice, but from an aesthetic point of view it would be the 250-3000 with the fancy wood that was broken and I had repaired

[Linked Image]

But from a "cold dead hands" criteria it would be my Grandmother's 1914

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great pic! So nice to have them isn't it?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Indeed, I think I was more excited finding the picture than the rifle

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Posted pics of my favorite, a Rentzke Engraved 1960 99F 243 Win. in the Image Gallery if someone would be kind enough to move them over.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poconojack's pics ... Dang is that nice!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/23/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow, looks like I need to start buying nicer rifles. The guns you guys have, make most of mine look like a pile of puke.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Poconojack's pics ... Dang is that nice!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We drooled all over that at the Rendezvous.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The engraving on Poconojack's rifle looks like the old 99 engraving. How long did Savage use the same engraving styles, did they just not change at all, or do they just look similar enough that my untrained eye can't tell the difference?

Last edited by damnesia; 01/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by damnesia
The engraving on Poconojack's rifle looks like the old 99 engraving. How long did Savage use the same engraving styles, did they just not change at all, or do they just look similar enough that my untrained eye can't tell the difference?

It is similar to Savage's early "A" style engraving pattern in the early 1900's. The engraver then was Enoch Tue.
This rifle was engraved in the mid to late 1950's and the engraver was Siefried Rentzschke. Rentzschke also engraved Colt, S&W and Winchesters as well either as an independent or while he was at A.A. White & Co.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
hard to deside , most used right now is an early 50s 250 EG but i have a first model, a G an F, another EG and 2 A's

norm
s

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.