Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Discussion in the trapping thread made me wonder.

Has anyone ever seen that listed on a menu?
Anyone cooked it themselves?

Funny the critters we will and won't eat!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had rabbit in many restaurants ranging from family eateries to very high end elegant award winning places.

I have never seen marsh rabbit listed on a menu.

If you are ever in Birmingham, Alabama the rabbit at the Highland Restaurant is absolutely the best I have ever had. It was recently listed as the best restaurant in America a year or two ago.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm guessing that's what we call swamp rabbits. Been eating them for 30 years. Just a bigger/darker cottontail that swims like Phelps.

We had a bunch around here a few years ago, less of late. Like most rabbits, they seem cyclic here.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cane-Cutter

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marsh rabbit have long scaley tails...

'Rats. Very good eating, but never saw a menu with them except for in photos.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nutria!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Nutria!

First heard about muskrat as marsh rabbit or hare on menus more than 50 years ago.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Never heard nutria referred to as marsh rabbit, but I only lived in LA for 10 years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Marsh rabbit is a variation of the cottontail rabbit and has no relation to a nutria rat.

Although some people think a marsh rabbit are bigger then the cottontail, just the opposite is true.
Basically, a marsh rabbit is a cottontail that has adapted to wet/marshy habitats and over time its physical characteristics altered somewhat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Never heard nutria referred to as marsh rabbit, but I only lived in LA for 10 years.

Muskrat, not nutria...
https://www.delawareonline.com/stor...l-known-for-muskrat-has-closed/15282117/

Come get your 'rat. The Wagon Wheel, a Delaware restaurant for more than 40 years, was known for its muskrat dinners.Show caption
Come get your 'rat. The Wagon Wheel, a Delaware restaurant for more than 40 years, was known for its muskrat dinners.
GARY EMEIGH/THE NEWS JOURNAL
SECOND HELPINGS
Wagon Wheel, known for muskrat, has closed
PATRICIA TALORICO | THE NEWS JOURNAL
Updated 7:43 a.m. AKDT Sep. 9, 2014
The Wagon Wheel restaurant, the Smyrna landmark well-known as one of the few remaining places in Delaware that still served muskrat, closed its doors Sunday after more than 40 years.

The U.S. 13 eatery posted a goodbye note on its Facebook page.

In March 2013, Food Network star Robert Irvine rolled into town and attempted to kill the annual muskrat dinners at the Wagon Wheel.

He helped renovate the 110 S. Dupont Blvd. restaurant for his TV series, "Restaurant: Impossible," Irvine serves as a "fixer" who has two days and $10,000 to renovate an eatery.

Muskrat used to feed past generations, but changing diets and eating habits have made it a quirky heirloom meat.

Still, hunters and those hungry for a taste of the past sought out the Wagon Wheel, which served muskrat during its season. Dinners were served from January through March.

Muskrat tends to be a strong-flavored, chewy meat. It's usually soaked in water for a few days to remove some of the gamy flavor and then pan-fried to crisp it up.

During his visit, Irvine decided, after one bite of Wagon Wheel muskrat, which is sometimes called marsh rabbit, he was no fan.

"Wasn't for me. Yuk!!" he wrote on Twitter. "Some people love it and I'm not one of them."

This past January, a Wagon Wheel employee said despite Irvine's distaste for marsh rabbit, there was never any thought to take it off the menu.

"A lot of people like it and it keeps the business going," she said.

This was the third Delaware restaurant the celebrity chef had tried to rehab.

Irvine's first Delaware makeover came in October 2010 when he attempted a redo of the old Rascals BBQ & Crab House on U.S. 13 in New Castle. It didn't go so well and the eatery never reopened.

Irvine came back to Delaware again in 2011 to make over Scrimmages off Concord Pike. The restaurant now has a new name and new owners.

The Wagon Wheel, a Delaware restaurant for more than 40 years, got a makeover compliments of the Food Network. The Smyrna eatery has closed
The Wagon Wheel, a Delaware restaurant for more than 40 years, got a makeover compliments of the Food Network. The Smyrna eatery has closed
The Wagon Wheel had been a haven for those who wanted to chow down on the humble water rodent, as well as its home-style meals, for more than 40 years.

Patty Gallegos has owned The Wagon Wheel for about 25 years. She told The News Journal it has been a struggle to maintain the business since her husband, Norm, died in 2007.

"It's gone downhill," she said in May 2013. "It's been dropping a lot."

Her granddaughter Jessica, looking to aid her grandmother, filled out a casting submission on the "Restaurant: Impossible" website. It required applicants to answer questions, such as "How much money are you losing?" and "Is there anything you refuse to change?"

After receiving the submission, producers scouted out the Smyrna location and agreed to come back to Delaware in March 2013 to film the renovations.

"It was really a big surprise. Jessie called me and said, 'Nanny, guess what? Robert Irvine is coming to see you,'" Gallegos said.

Gallegos said when Irvine visited The Wagon Wheel, he didn't like the food or decor.

Patty Gallegos, who had owned the restaurant for 24 years, said the restaurant has been struggling since her husband died in 2007.
Patty Gallegos, who had owned the restaurant for 24 years, said the restaurant has been struggling since her husband died in 2007.
"He doesn't like any frozen food or plastic tablecloths. He likes real flowers, not fake ones."

His staff whisked in, painting and remodeling the dining room and bar area, Gallegos said. They also replaced tables and chairs and landscaped the outside of the building.

"He was really nice, and I think it went very well. He changed the whole menu," Gallegos said. "Everything is fresh now. We have fresh salmon, we cut pork chops. We have homemade french fries, and steam asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower."

But Gallegos told The News Journal in 2013 that acceptance among the locals was slow coming.

"Some people like it, some people don't. The clientele I had before this don't like it," she said.

"They don't like change. And neither do I. But this was a good thing."

More recently, the restaurant featured bluegrass, metal, rock, pop, and punk shows.

Originally Published 8:33 a.m. AKDT Sep. 8, 2014

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call it a colloquialism or anything you like, but no one can tell the difference between two types of cottontails... but you sure as Hell can see the difference between a 'rat and a cottontail. I also wonder how many states allow the sale of small game. Would not surprise me to find a couple that do, but the vast majority do not. Trapping byproducts on the other hand may be sold in lots of places.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never eaten marsh rabbit, but I do love fried cottontail rabbit with mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and hot, buttered biscuits. My mother used to fix that when my brother and i would bring in some freshly killed cottontails. Long ago and far away.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
I'm guessing that's what we call swamp rabbits. Been eating them for 30 years. Just a bigger/darker cottontail that swims like Phelps.

We had a bunch around here a few years ago, less of late. Like most rabbits, they seem cyclic here.

Don’t think a Marsh rabbit and a Swamp rabbit are the same after reading this thread. I’ve never heard the term “Marsh Rabbit” before, but I have heard of, seen, and killed what we call a “Swamp” rabbit. A swamper is definitely a cottontail, just two to two and a half times bigger than the average whitetail. Otherwise, they look the same. They are usually found, however, in flat, swampy (or marshy) ground. They eat good too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swampers will run the dogs out of hearing too. This was before deer and anytime a race went out of hearing, we knew the beagles were after a swamper.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.