Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'd like to hunt elephant somewhere where they are overpopulated and non-trophy elephant quota is available. I am not interested in bringing home any trophy ivory. Just the experience. I keep reading of Botswana opening up but have not learned of any real opportunities yet. Is it worth looking into Botswana for 2021? Are there non trophy elephant hunts that I am not aware of? It seems there might be some "own use" hunts available in Namibia for reasonable licence fees of under $10,000. That would be of interest. Anywhere else? South Africa? Zambia? Do some outfitters sell hunts for problem animal control purposes?

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you looked into Zimbabwe?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Have you looked into Zimbabwe?

This with Buzz Charlton in the Dande.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Zim is probably your best bet OR look for hunts very late in the season. Many outfits have allocations for which they have paid and they’re trying to sell at reduced rates.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Zimbabwe tuskless is your best bet. Certain areas have higher percentage of tuskless and good population. Very affordable. I’m headed there in July. Drop me a PM if you’d like some details on araeas, outfitter.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you find an "own use" bull elephant hunt in Namibia for under $10K please let me know. A couple that I know of go for around $18K.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zim for sure.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is elephant meat good to eat? if so how much good meat can you get % wise compared to the total weight of the elephant,, I am a meat eater and only hunt what I can eat.. thanks all..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hubert
Is elephant meat good to eat? if so how much good meat can you get % wise compared to the total weight of the elephant,, I am a meat eater and only hunt what I can eat.. thanks all..

Never been to Africa but I don't believe you keep the meat. In any case, how would you transport it back to the states? If your personal decision on hunting is to only hunt what you'll eat yourself, then elephant hunting probably isn't a good fit.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The villagers get the meat from the elephant.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Along with the meat for the villagers, the chief gets the trunk (in Zim) I've eaten ele meat, and it isn't my favorite table fare. The best IMO, was ele cheek meat and served in thick sauce with vegetables, like a stew. A good cook is invaluable when preparing African game, regardless of the species.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Caprivi strip in Namibia has a lot of own use elephant hunts in the various conservancies. I took my third own use bull this past November with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris. The all in cost is about the same as a tuskless cow in Zim but I prefer to shoot a bull- they are a lot bigger. Can’t say much about them as table fare, although the cheek muscle is fairly tender when prepared properly.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another vote for tuskless in Zimbabwe. Check out Nengasha Safaris; they have an area in the southern part of Zim in Beitbridge. Saw hundreds of elephants, took my tuskless out of a group of 60 on day 1. Most elephant I saw at a single time was 150 and I have the photo to prove it.

Meat tasted fine, impala is my favorite, but I believe a lot depends on who cooks it and how. Aside from some choice cuts for camp, the meat went to a local (large scale) orange farm and was distributed as rations for their workforce and families (about 800 workers). I asked how many days this would last, they said just 3.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1.

I have been on safari with Nengasha - Paul Bennie’s outfit out of Bulawayo - several times, including 2x for elephant. The Beitbridge CAMPFIRE and Nottingham Estate concessions hold a higher-then-average percentage of tuskless elephants. The herd from which I took a large tuskless this year numbered several hundred, with many large, mature elephants. Approached elephant herds many times during the hunt until we found an old mature tuskless we wanted to take.

Going back for tuskless this year. A great outfit, very experienced PH - Mitch Bunce - and a great elephant hunting experience. They work hard to make sure you find what you’re looking for.

Recommend this outfit highly. Good PG hunting and leopard, as well, in Nengasha’s areas.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Was Mitch still carrying that old left-handed M-70 .458WM?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Another recommendation for Nengasha and PH Mitch Bunce. I hunted Bietbridge in 2016 and got 48 x49 bull, one of the best hunts I’ve ever been on. Mitch still has that .458 it was put together by Gene Simillion.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
Was Mitch still carrying that old left-handed M-70 .458WM?

Yes. It’s a Win M-70 Classic with action work by Simillion, open sights. Nice working rifle, well cared for.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My apologies to Castnblast for getting off topic.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Like JDollar, I have taken "Own Use" Elephant with Karl in the Caprivi as well. But there are not a lot of Own Use tags available, and they sell out quickly. Best to lock one in before the shows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check outfitters in Zambia. Newer regs have elephant back on license. Two years ago a tuckless elephant was quite reasonable.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,098
Posts18,464,148
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.