Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm thinking of getting a turret press and have a few questions for some of you that have experience with them. My main interest in having one is so that I don't have to keep changing the dies.The idea of leaving my rifle dies on one turret and some handgun dies on another is appealing to me. How big a deal is that in reality? Does it really save a lot of time? It seems to me that you still have to do all the same operations one case at a time, just as you would on a single stage press, whereas a progressive works on several cases at a time, so I am not sure I understand where the increase in production comes from, or does it?

How about accuracy, is the ammo loaded on turret presses as accurate as the ammo you loaded on single stage presses?

I'm looking at either the new Lyman All American 8 stage press or the Redding T7. The Redding is 50-60% more money, for anyone who has used either of them (or both) what does that buy you?

I am aware that neither of these presses does on press priming very well, so I realize I would have to get a priming tool. Does priming off the press slow the process down much?

Any other thoughts or experiences on turret presses in genera,l and those two in particular, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For not much more money a Dillon 550 is way better

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would also look at the Harrell turret press as long as you don't load anything over 300 H&H length. I have resisted buying a turret press as I can run two presses about as fast as I could run a turret. Also if I had enough turrets to hold all my dies it would cost a small fortune. So some of the advantages of the turret are lost for me. I agree with Castle Rock that if you are going to upgrade go all the way. I usually don't load more than 200 rounds at a time so the Dillon can't be justified either but it sure would be nice for pistol ammo and I am sure I would shoot more if I had a progressive.

I would say that the turret presses are a sort of middle ground and are good if you do a number of prep steps or measuring while reloading where you are taking the case off the press. The turrets can all be plenty accurate and some competitors use a Dillon and still win matches. It is all in technique and components, the type press is not usually a major factor in the accuracy equation unless set up improperly or worn out. But an arbor press is the most accurate largely because of the in-line dies used. After the Harrell I would rate the Redding as having tighter tolerances than the Lyman but not enough difference to affect anything unless you are a short range target shooter.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Another vote here for a Dillon 550. I load all precision ammo (I'm a competitor in the long range game) on my 550. I have tool heads set up for each caliber. Pull two pins to swap heads, change the shell holder and you're swapped. A little extra time is required (like 5 minutes) if you have to change from large to small primers or vice versa. I've been working on my system for years now, so it's pretty slick. I timed myself last weekend, and I'm averaging 30 seconds per round. That's with individually weighed powder charges. If you use the included powder throw, it's probably more like 5 seconds. You can single load cartridges still if you like with it, a nice feature. I'm getting excellent consistency on COAL's, probably plus minus 0.001".

Having used it now for a couple years, I can't see any reason to consider a turret press.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I size on single single stage. Seat, flare, taper or roll crimp on turret press.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've used a 1960s Texan turret press for decades for loading handgun ammo. Slower than a progressive (I had four of those before I found out I didn't need one) and far more versatile, particularly if you like to experiment with short runs of different handloads. If I was going to buy a new turret machine, I'd get the Redding. I've tried to wear out the Texan, but it hasn't happened.

If you just reload and aren't experimentally inclined, can't wait and speed is of utmost importance, go with a progressive. You'll be happier.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

What about the Dillon is better than the T-7?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I couldn't agree more!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the info. I’ve looked at the Dillon presses as well, but they are more expensive when you factor in the dies, extra toolheads, Caliber conversion kits, etc. A turret press pretty much allows me to mount it, screw in my own dies and go. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a Dillon and hope to someday, but I don’t think I can afford one yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
to OP

1.) I prefer the turret press for small volume loading, modest volume pistol and little cartridges (hornet, 25wcf, 44 wcf, etc), and load development on same. Nice open access design, and being able to zip out 5, 10, 20 of a load to test is really convenient and quick, because am not handling and rehandling little cases again and again, but just rotating the turret, pulling out once to powder and once to put a finished cartridge in the box. It’s considerably faster than doing the same operations on my co-ax - the difference being, not rehandling cases or plugging in new dies. No doubt any progressive will be faster in doing volume. I don’t really need big volume, so no experience

2.) accuracy. I don’t know, have read the speculations, and matters neither way for the guns am feeding. The redding unit is STOUT. Now by laws of physics there is some turret deflection. Doubt could tell a difference In results under any circumstances but benchrest, is my opinion.

3.) looked at the lyman in store; own the t7. The redding is more robust, but whether that translates to any advantage i don’t know. Do know you can get aftermarket bits for the redding; recommend the shorter handle, myself. The lyman has one more station.

4.) priming. Don’t know, never used either the t7 or coax priming, insteady rolling the rcbs auto primer.

5.) Someone mentioned the Harrells turret press. Had bought one last winter on a lark. Will say this. Harrell makes a hell of a powder measure. The turret press would make a nice traveling reloading press in back of the truck or rv while varmint shooting. Just seating bullets. But, no offense to the company, it is a lightweight build. Easy to demonstrate turret deflection in other die operations.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that if you are shooting competitive pistol games the Dillon makes sense as it can do anything else you want.
You can still run one case at a time through a progressive press if you find that helps you with your precision cases.
If you done need to pump out hundreds or you have plenty of time than you can go another route...
I suppose your innate ocd tendency may affect your decision. A turret or progressive imposes a degree of organization. Of course anything pre-assembled has more nooks and crannies that don't get cleaned the same way they would if they are separated routinely...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on how many rounds you need to load. A turret press is faster, but not as fast as a progressive. Also a turret press is not as finicky as a progressive. You still get to see and feel each step. That being said I have a Lee Classic and am very happy with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way I do 100 rounds on a 550 looks like this.

Round one

Deprime
FL size
Sinclair neck mandrel

102 handle pulls

Vibe tumbler 20 min to remove sizing lube

Round two

Deprime (clears any corn cob media from flash hole)
Dump powder
Seat bullet

102 handles pulls

204 pulls total

Turret press for same

Deprime = 100
FL size = 100
Neck Mandrel = 100

Deprime = 100
Seat bullet = 100

500 pulls total

Once you use a properly set up Dillon 550 you won't wanna switch to a turret press, but it requires thinking outside the box a little.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I reload on a RCBS turret press and have 8-10 turret heads for my dies. I am a fan of RCBS products but can't wholeheartedly recommend their turret press. It requires shims under some heads, no shims under some, and different thickness shims under the rest.

With that said, I still prefer the turret operation as it is more convenient and faster to reload. I have not seen a loss of accuracy using it as long as I have the right shim combination under the head.

I hope to upgrade to a Redding someday and a Dillon when I win the lottery.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ever try the floating seating dies?
And old guy was telling me they could help account for the flex in the turret head mount.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Dillon and in hindsight I wish I would have got a quality turret like the Redding

the Dillon is great for long runs of several calibers , but IMO a turret would be much more handy for short runs of numerous calibers..........which is more in line with what I do

really would be nice to have both......grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have Ponsness Warren presses, the P200 Metal-matic and the Metallic II these handle my rifle and handgun loading needs. The rifle press with its capacity to have two calibers set up at one time takes care of .30-06 & .35 Whelen without so much as changing shellholder and handgun loading .44 Special & .44 Magnum just involves swapping the shellholder for an extended one when changing calibers, no change to dies required.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What about the Dillon is better than the T-7

From my perspective, everything. In fact, in my opinion its almost worth going with the Dillon just for the ease of priming cases...I've completely stopped priming with anything else, even for ammo I load on a single stage.

The Dillon is a true progressive press, and switching between loading different cartridges is as easy as swapping out tool heads....and the up front cost isn't significantly more than the Redding T7 (especially by the time you buy extra turrets). I have several single stage presses, an older Lyman turret, and two Dillon 550's...it really is worth paying extra for the 550. I can switch from loading 9mm to 5.56 in less than a minute, and then switch to .308 in less than a couple minutes...and that means actually dropping powder and seating bullets. I've yet to find an easier setup, although I haven't tried the more expensive 650.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and knowledge with me. I think I’ll hit up my brother for a session on his Dillon. It might be worthwhile to see how it would work for me. Thanks again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

What about the Dillon is better than the T-7?

Turret alignment is so much better
Priming system 1000% better
It is just so much nicer using the Dillon, I doubt anyone who has used both would disagree

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 33 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.