-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not watching it. Nobody shoots a MOA quad.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
quote=Fotis]No windage test?[/quote]

I do check that, before I start videoing but you guys are already bored enough The scopes I have seen issues with reveal them in the video like I am showing. I haven't seen a scope yet that shows perfect on the up and down but fails the windage. My sampling isn't a lot though I admit that. I also need to be checking how the elevation travel is working at the more extreme ends of the windage adjustment range.

EVERYONE DOES SHOOTING VIDEOS! does nightforce test their scopes for QC by shooting them? uhhh NO! They static test them. you cannot accomplish the testing I am showing by shooting them on a gun. Its amazing how ridiculous some of the comments are about that. Where in the actual hell is your scope reviews? oh you don't have any? the same group attacks me, most of whom are blocked BTW, can you not see I don't give a rip? I am pretty confident in my own skin and my own abilities. It should be clear that I enjoy testing crap. seeing what it will do. you don't have to watch or like it.

if a scope fails on the clicks or has windage wander as its dialed, isn't there value in knowing that BEFORE you shoot it? I say absolutely, the average campfire geezer seems to fail and see that. the next SWFA tracking test review isn't going to be steller, like the last 2, stay tuned.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/22/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Originally Posted by Fotis
No windage test?

People actually dial wind?

I dial spin drift past 800 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh Chit, you mean you were being serious?
I thought this was a joke.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whitebread
No windage test?

interesting comment, with the next scope review I do, that feature is automatic. LOL not in a good way. I usually sight in my 200 yard zero a bit to the left at least a click for rigs I plan on stretching way out there. so I am kinda splitting the effect of this at 1000 yards.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
CC, I feel sorry for you, but thanks for the amusement anyway.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rwa3006
CC, I feel sorry for you, but thanks for the amusement anyway.

oh why is that? feeling pretty good today actually.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
No windage test?

interesting comment, with the next scope review I do, that feature is automatic. LOL not in a good way. I usually sight in my 200 yard zero a bit to the left at least a click for rigs I plan on stretching way out there. so I am kinda splitting the effect of this at 1000 yards.

That works, also. I am only getting about 0.4 mils of spin at 1000 with my 6x47L...but I primarily do it so I know my wind holds are true. Otherwise the next day, the wind could be blowing the same speed in the other direction, and I’d be wondering why the magnitude of my hold is different from before. I’m not saying it’s the right method, just making the point that the windage turret is sometimes used even though most people don’t hold wind.

But I wouldn’t bother doing tracking in the windage if the elevation is on. At most, just a return to zero test on it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No windage test?

That works, also. I am only getting about 0.4 mils of spin at 1000 with my 6x47L...but I primarily do it so I know my wind holds are true. Otherwise the next day, the wind could be blowing the same speed in the other direction, and I’d be wondering why the magnitude of my hold is different from before. I’m not saying it’s the right method, just making the point that the windage turret is sometimes used even though most people don’t hold wind.

But I wouldn’t bother doing tracking in the windage if the elevation is on. At most, just a return to zero test on it.

the fact you are even mentioning this shows a level of skill and knowledge,( rare around here) thanks for a productive comment. I have now tested a total of 3 scopes that demonstrate right reticle travel, as they are dialed.(2 SWFA's one vortex ) The interesting thing is this could actually be used to address spin drift automatically, LOL. well provided your barrel is a right twist. if its left twist, ummm bad! what are you doing to address Coriolis effect?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nothing for Coriolis. There is so much uncertainty with wind speed, wind gusts, wind estimation, and anything like that...I’m not going to miss a target because of Coriolis. I almost always miss because of bad wind estimation (and sometimes follow through). I just want a R-L wind to look the same as a L-R wind. I don’t want to be there scratching my head thinking, ‘I thought for sure that was a 6-8mph wind, but my impact was off the inside of the plate, so I guess it was less wind’ when it really was spin drift.

Having said that, I play the PRS game often. And I’ve only seen a couple other people that dial spin. Most don’t do it. And I’m beaten every single match I shoot by people who don’t dial it. Take that for what it’s worth, lol. I was just trying to add a counterpoint to that part of the discussion.

Last edited by whitebread; 01/22/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nothing for Coriolis. There is so much uncertainty with wind speed, wind gusts, wind estimation, and anything like that...I’m not going to miss a target because of Coriolis. I almost always miss because of bad wind estimation (and sometimes follow through). I just want a R-L wind to look the same as a L-R wind. I don’t want to be there scratching my head thinking, ‘I thought for sure that was a 6-8mph wind, but my impact was off the inside of the plate, so I guess it was less wind’ when it really was spin drift.

Having said that, I play the PRS game often. And I’ve only seen a couple other people that dial spin. Most don’t do it. And I’m beaten every single match I shoot by people who don’t dial it. Take that for what it’s worth, lol. I was just trying to add a counterpoint to that part of the discussion.

what typically are your furthest shots? I have heard someone say a 1 MOA rifle could win every tactical shoot out there. I usually am planning on about 3/4 moa of spin drift at 1000 yards. a click to click and a half to the left bias on on my zero splits the difference at most distances, I used to do more long range coyote hunting than I have in recent years. trying to hit something as small as a coyote at that distance everything matters.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The farthest all depends on the facility, but from what I’ve seen it’s generally 1100-1350 yards in the southeast region. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a match that didn’t have at least 1000 yards. But in general, most stages are in the 450-800 yard range, with a few stages pushing into the farther distances. Generally there are ten stages per day, so about 1/3 of them.

Targets are probably on average 2 moa, but you’ll see a couple stages with 1 moa targets, and usually a KYL rack that steps down from 2 moa to ~1/4 moa. ...So, in theory, a 1 moa rifle shouldn’t hold you back that much. My rifle, as well as most my friends rifles, are shooting in the 3/8-5/8 moa range. If my setup/barrel was shooting over 3/4” at 100 yards, I’d be in all out panic-mode. Having said that, as with most shooting sports, it’s the Indian and not the arrow. I highly doubt my gear has ever held me back...any misses are likely user error.

Last edited by whitebread; 01/22/20.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am pretty confident in my own skin and my own abilities.

That is what everyone is trying to point out to you. You don't know what you don't know, yet you don't care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Cmon, someone take one for the team and watch it, and give us a review of the review

I did while eating lunch in the truck. I could hardly get it down from laughing and snickering. I'll be as nice as I can.

Let me sum it up: the tracking is perfect, at best this is a backup scope for playing at the range, noone in their right mind would ever hunt with this scope, SWFA needs to discontinue all MOA scopes and stick to mils, this reticle is the stupidest thing I've ever seen, and the clicks on all SWFA scopes I've tested feel slightly different so I'm going to send some back as I think something is wrong with some of them. Could be some other tidbits I missed but I didn't watch the last few minutes.

To me it appears it's a dude who doesn't get out much, admittedly so, giving his opinion without really explaining why, on a scope that he's never mounted before let alone shot behind.

Think I'm lying? Watch it.

I have full trust in you.
How about commentary on the name and/or logo? Big performance indicator there. whistle

I miss ringman.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I am pretty confident in my own skin and my own abilities.

That is what everyone is trying to point out to you. You don't know what you don't know, yet you don't care.

In my experience, the most able and knowledgeable people always have a little bit of self-doubt, for lack of a better word. In other words, they're a little skeptical of their own abilities, and always questioning, looking for ways to improve.

And vice-versa.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.