Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This new rifle made its media debut about a month ago and is getting a lot press at Shot Show. It looks like a cross between an AR and a traditional bolt rifle. It has a folding stock but also a pistol grip. The videos show it being shot off a bench on a tripod.

I am curious how it would do offhand, prone slung up and sitting. Can the bolt be manipulated quickly and smoothly? Interesting concept. Not everything has to be a sniper rifle. Although AR's are very ergonomic, does that platform translate to a bolt rifle?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a similar rifle to The Fix by Q, and will likely handle similarly to other chassis based rifles and PRS bolt rifles only significantly lighter. The high pressure composite cased .277 round is getting most of the buzz, with the rifle riding on that wave. When it’s fielded, we will see what the story really is.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't know why a bolt action upper couldn't be designed for an existing AR complete lower.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Personally think the Sig looks 10x better than The Fix by Q. The fix looks too blocky to me and that bolt handle, wtf? Sig also has a better name, half the price, higher rated pressure, and about a pound lighter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by russm86
Personally think the Sig looks 10x better than The Fix by Q. The fix looks too blocky to me and that bolt handle, wtf? Sig also has a better name, half the price, higher rated pressure, and about a pound lighter.

Agreed, that’s why I said ‘similar to.’ I think the SIG might be a better hammer as well. We will see once it gets out in the market.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not a tacticool guy, but that new SIG bolt rifle is intriguing. Especially the user-changeable barrels.

And, the .277 SIG Fury, capable of running at 80,000 psi, is even more intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeGyFwIhGuE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, it looks like a home run rifle to me. The overall weight, pricing, and accuracy will determine it the market will like it. I hope it's significantly lighter than a RPR, without being terribly more expensive.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little Google turns up weights around 6.5lbs and street prices around $1,500.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Changeable barrels is pretty neat. The barrels are either 16" or 18"....I'd think a 21" or 22" would be minimal added weight for someone not planning to run a suppressor.

No brainer to go AICS mags.

Make a small bolt face available so the barrel can be swapped out to a .223.

I didn't catch how long/short the LOP could be made but adjustable is always nice, especially with kids growing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As far as I can tell there's no locking bolt feature. If they had included one I'd consider buying a Cross, but as it stands I'll pass.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like an interesting rifle.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MCMXI
As far as I can tell there's no locking bolt feature. If they had included one I'd consider buying a Cross, but as it stands I'll pass.

My understanding from a youtube video I saw was that when the stock was folded forward it also prevented the bolt from lifting. Not a bolt lock per se but effective to keep the bolt from opening when packed in the folded position.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VaHunter
My understanding from a youtube video I saw was that when the stock was folded forward it also prevented the bolt from lifting. Not a bolt lock per se but effective to keep the bolt from opening when packed in the folded position.

Yes, I saw that too, but I don't carry any of my folding stock rifles with the stock folded. I fold the stock when putting the rifle in a bag so that I don't have to remove the suppressor. I also fold the stock when I need to remove the bolt, but that's about it.

I think the Cross is a good fit for many, but I just can't spend money on a bolt action rifle that doesn't have a locking bolt handle. I know that many don't care about that feature but it's a biggie for me.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been pretty interested in this rifle since they announced it about a month ago. It seems to pack lots of features for the price, and with easy barrel/bolt head swaps I could get something safe like a 6.5, and then give the Fury a try later on if it pans out. I'd definitely prefer that the safety lock the bolt (in fact I think one of the Sig hunting team that used these for elk this year had an issue with the bolt falling open while hiking), but I think I'm willing to give it a try even with that fault if the total package delivers.

A poster on the hide said that one of his friends played with the Cross at Shot and that it felt "junky" and the bolt was floppy. I'm hoping that's a minority opinion, but definitely want to hear some more first hand impressions before getting too set on picking up a Cross.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by MCMXI

That is also what I gathered from the video linked by JCM (thanks btw ) . That rifle looks really nice and attractive to own.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
I don't know why a bolt action upper couldn't be designed for an existing AR complete lower.

I've shot a few Uinta Precision bolt gun uppers on AR platforms.

Running the bolt is awkward at best and lock time is abysmal.

The Cross in 6 br would be fun as schit if it'll eject ok.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's another vid. Some of the weights he mentions might be off a little but he shows how the base and handguard/forend are attached and when removed the barrel nut/receiver junction. He has a part 2 and part 3 vid but I haven't watched them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Here's another vid. Some of the weights he mentions might be off a little but he shows how the base and handguard/forend are attached and when removed the barrel nut/receiver junction. He has a part 2 and part 3 vid but I haven't watched them.

Part 3 goes into some interesting detail about the action:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.