Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14493370 01/22/20
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like my daughters boyfriend may be stationed at Vance Air Force in Enid, OK for his pilot training. What types of hunting is there in that area? He would be interested in big game, small game, upland and waterfowl. It looks like there is a section of public land not too far away but what is private land access like?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
$$$ i'd guess since it's just north of Tx. .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unless you pay for a lease or just know someone it's gotten tough to hunt private land. We used to hunt pheasant north of Enid just by knocking on a door and asking, but that was 25 years ago. There is quite a bit on public land for deer and such, I don't hunt it except for the special hunts from the Wildlife Dept but I hear if you can manage to go during the week and especially after opening weekend they aren't terribly crowded. A call to the local game wardens would probably be a good idea.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For decent deer hunting you will need to be on a lease unless you like crowds of hunters and damn few chances at shooting deer. The deer population is good in that region of the state. Duck and goose hunting will be very good. Small game hunting will be fine on most public land. Not many hunters still bother with it. After opening weekend you might get permission to hunt pheasant and quail on private land by knocking on doors.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
FT Sill has deer, pigs and elk. Easy for military to access and hunt.
Bob

IC B2

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

What is FT?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by CWT
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

What is FT?

Fort...as in Fort Sill in OK.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Be advised though that Ft Sill is a good 4 plus hours from Enid. I live right north of Ft Sill and I know military guys can hunt on post but I don’t know about taking guests. I’m also pretty sure elk are some kind of draw.

Up around Enid there is outstanding waterfowl hunting and probably some quail to be found, pheasants are pretty scarce as far as I know. I’m in the area fairly regularly for work and I’ve seen one hen in the last year. There are lots of deer, not sure about access these days, the Texas plague of leasing has spread to a lot of areas of OK over the last decade. The Salt Plains WMA has some huge deer if you can draw a tag. I see a good number of turkeys up there and you’ll likely have a better chance getting permission knocking on doors for turkeys than deer. Lots of coyotes to call in the winter months and again, probably a decent chance of folks letting a guy go call if he asks. I haven’t seen near the evidence of pigs up there as further south though there are some.

Canton lake is reasonably close and is the walleye capital of OK if you like to fish. Most any lake will have good populations of crappie and catfish too.

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't know about Ft. Sill. I read it as FT still has ........... I'm not military but do know what FT means in that terminology.

Thanks for the responses and I will share them with him.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I haven't been there in many years, but the Fort Sill area and the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is not what most people picture when they think of Oklahoma.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
CWT, how long will he be there?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ugghhhh.... Vance is in the middle of nowhere! Altus is nearly just as bad. OK is one of the best states in the country for a military member though; They offer resident hunting license to any active duty member, whether they're stationed in OK or not. Western OK offers OTC archery pronghorn hunts in the western part of the state and there are dozens of small chunks of public land in the western panhandle.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
CWT, how long will he be there?

Two years is what he said. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just curious. A military guy there for a training session is probably living on base or maybe in an apartment. So if you get an elk, what do you do with it? You can probably find a charity to take the meat but how about a nice set of antlers? They're not very practical to be hauling around between duty stations.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good deer can be found on many public areas I am sure. I hunted some public land this last season and the only individual I saw out there was one guy fishing, but I didn't go on a weekend. I'm in the SE part of OK and I can definitely say that pressure from Texas has raised the cost of private land hunting in this area.

Tips:

Have him consider the draw hunts. It is $5 to enter as many draws as you want and these hunts do not count toward the combined season limit in most cases.

There is a state wide elk season based on a quota, private land only except for draw hunts, if that is of interest.

Buy a crossbow. Rifle season is short and crossbows are legal for all hunters regardless of disability status. Archery runs from Oct 1-Jan 15.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
T
T
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Good deer can be found on many public areas I am sure. I hunted some public land this last season and the only individual I saw out there was one guy fishing, but I didn't go on a weekend. I'm in the SE part of OK and I can definitely say that pressure from Texas has raised the cost of private land hunting in this area.

Tips:

Have him consider the draw hunts. It is $5 to enter as many draws as you want and these hunts do not count toward the combined season limit in most cases.

There is a state wide elk season based on a quota, private land only except for draw hunts, if that is of interest.

Buy a crossbow. Rifle season is short and crossbows are legal for all hunters regardless of disability status. Archery runs from Oct 1-Jan 15.

Just made an account, appreciate the advice. I'd only be able to hunt weekends unfortunately, but hopefully I can find some areas away from everyone else. From looking at maps, it seems like I might not be able to just hike 2 miles into the woods to escape hunters like I can here in NC. Suppose I can grab a crossbow, enter the draws, and try my best. Sounds like a fun challenge. You think door-knocking for deer is out of question?

T
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm just curious. A military guy there for a training session is probably living on base or maybe in an apartment. So if you get an elk, what do you do with it? You can probably find a charity to take the meat but how about a nice set of antlers? They're not very practical to be hauling around between duty stations.

I'm the guy in question, just made an account. If it's deemed acceptable out there, I'm thinking I could bag a deer out and happily process the meat at home. I'll likely be staying in a rental house off base so a cooler and a freezer is no problem. If I get some antlers, hopefully there'd be a taxidermist around for a European mount. I'm not sure I'd go for Elk for those reasons though. That'd be a bit too much to deal with I'd think.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

They had Buffalo there when my dad was a resident and they had a birthday for a Kiowa chief that was turning 100 who shot one on horse back. My dad said it was good but my mom wouldn't touch it as the women tending the fire would spit on the fat that started to burn.

The Pan Handle has some good mule deer and a few antelope, not sure about access there though.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TreeGuy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I'm the guy in question, just made an account. If it's deemed acceptable out there, I'm thinking I could bag a deer out and happily process the meat at home. I'll likely be staying in a rental house off base so a cooler and a freezer is no problem. If I get some antlers, hopefully there'd be a taxidermist around for a European mount. I'm not sure I'd go for Elk for those reasons though. That'd be a bit too much to deal with I'd think.

RockChuck-
Just curious, but what are you trying to get at here? If a guy does 20+ years is he expected to not hunt during his most healthy & able hunting days he'll see in his life?

Treedude- I recommend applying for elk. Take every opportunity you can get. Your flight training time will be like living in frat house most of the time. You and the other Lt's will be able to eat a elk up real quick in between doing shots of Jeremiah Weed.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don’t bother buying an elk tag if you can’t hunt them on Ft Sill. Outside of the Special SW Zone, where I live that’s about 4 1/2 hours from Enid and all private, there’s no elk to speak of. They opened the season statewide a few years ago because there are a few here and there that are likely escapees from some high fence area and there was a grey area around the legality of shooting them. There’s also no elk hunting on public lands. I think in the last 3 or 4 years theres been less than ten killed statewide outside of the above mentioned SW zone. You’d just be throwing your money away.

There’s a taxidermist behind every tree in OK, people live and breath deer hunting here so no worries there. There will be ample opportunities to hunt, we have tons of public land and some of it is really good especially for archery hunters. You don’t have to buy a crossbow if you already have archery gear but it is an option if you want to stack the odds. Buy or bring a muzzleloader, that’s an extra season and usually a good one as the rut is generally kicking off about that time. Rumor is that rifle season is going to be extended next year to 23 days from the 16 we’ve had for a while, no increase in the limit just more time to hunt.

I don’t know how big the deer are in NC but you’ll have no trouble processing one at home in an evening in OK. We had a check station for years and I never checked a deer that weighed over 180 dressed out of hundreds I booked. Average buck will dress out at 125 down here, maybe 140 up north where you’ll be with a monster going 175-190. Antler wise we have some hogs killed every year so the potential for a bruiser is there.

If you get out to the small towns and make some friends or hang around the COOPs you might have a chance at some oldtimer letting you go hunt. Never know unless you ask and as a rule Okies are pretty laid back nice folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.