Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We spend 2 weeks in Cody almost every spring. Between Cody and the E. entrance to Yellowstone is the North Fork of the Shoshone River. Spectacular country w/ tons of wildlife to be seen from the road or while hiking[lots of bears] Almost every campground is at the base of a trail or a system of trails which are spectacular w/ amazing scenery and enough variety for anyone. The Proud Cut has great food, Cassie's has good food and great music on the weekends. The food at the Irma is mediocre but the bar on a Friday or Saturday afternoon is a local hangout and a real slice of Wyoming. I could live in Cody, great people w/ mountains to the West and Antelope country to the East. Breakfast at Grannie's or Bubbas. You will love it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Go check out Atlantis..... Mount Zion....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will need AT LEAST two days and more is better to take in Cody. Two days for sure at the museum. There are actually 5 museums in one building: firearms, western art, plains indians, natural history and Buffalo Bill. You simply cannot absorb it all in one day, you cant even absorb the firearms in one day. Make reservations early, like NOW, do not underestimate the demand for rooms etc during June, July and August. We were just up there for a couple of days in early October, I wanted one last trip through the firearms museum, it has recently been overhauled and is better than before IMHO. We stayed at the Irma Hotel, was kinda fun, even had flush toilets. wink

I have lived in Wyoming since 1940, minus my time in the service. I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to Jackson.

Several times in the last few years we have had people post here on the Fire that they wanted to travel from somewhere back East , see Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and Cody all in the same 7-10 day trip. shocked
Please dont try to do that, you will spend at least half your time staring at the back end of the car in front of you. Traffic moves very slowly in places and it is a LONG ways between stops, people who have never been to the West before are always amazed at how far it is from point A to point B. Have a nice relaxing time, see some sights, have a good time without dashing madly about trying to see it all in one swoop. Cant be done.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Drive the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway from the Yellowstone NE gate to Cody. Awesome drive. After 2 days in Cody, we made the loop back into Yellowstone through the east gate.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Stay in Yellowstone three days in one of the hotels there. Staying in Cody is a little far for day tripping. Then one or two nights in Cody and if you have time go to Little Big Horn battlefield in MT.
Weatherby has relocated to Sheridan WY and that is fairly close to MT.

If it was me I'd fly into Billings and out of Jackson. Spend time at LBH and Sheridan (one day), day or two in Cody then into Yellowstone for three days and out through Jackson. Jackson is touristy, but worth seeing and Grand Teton is on the way to Jackson via Yellowstone park.

Irma's is OK in Cody, but in fact there are no great restaurants in the whole area AFAIK. Bubba's is OK for BBQ and there's one in Cody. The higher end restaurants in Yellowstone are somewhat OK, but most of the food there is garbage. If Jackson has any real nice restaurants, it's news to me. But considering how much $$$$ is in the area there must be something. Been a while since I've been there. So go to Yelp for help.

If you fly into one city and out of another, what do you do about your rental car?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We did a whitewater rafting trip down the Shoshone River while in Cody. Rapids weren't huge which was easily handled by the family. It was another good way to see nature around Cody.

Not sure how much you're willing to drive. However, the Bighorn Mountains are worth the drive as is Devils Tower. That might stretch you for one week. However, we enjoyed every minute of it. Cody Museum was one of the highlights of the trip.

Last edited by devnull; 01/22/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gregintenn

If you fly into one city and out of another, what do you do about your rental car?

Most of the major rental companies allow pickup and dropoff to be different places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any good choice of where to stay or more important where not to stay. Planning to be there mid May for a few days

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I surely appreciate all the great suggestions! I hope I can return the favor some day. We won’t try to see everything in the region in a week. If we like it, it probably won’t be our last trip to the area.

Keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I’m sure I’m not the only one interested.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My cousins went up one summer to cowboy at the Cody Night Rodeo that a friend runs. They had days off to do whatever they wanted. One day they borrowed a raft and bought some cheap rods and reels. Floated some nearby river hammering the trout on nightcrawlers and Powerbait, stopped on a gravel bar and grilled a few up for lunch. Got back to town and some guy tells them that river is artificial fly and catch and release only! Fuggin Okies. smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Best town in America.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I know many of you have been there, and several live in the area. My wife wants to go somewhere in June, and she’s put me in charge of planning it.

I know I want to see Cody, Wyoming and as much of Yellowstone as possible in a week or so. I’d really appreciate suggestions on which town to fly into, places to see, places to avoid, good restaurants, places to stay, etc

Thank you in advance!

Make it an "or so" vacation. A week will hurry you to much and you'll be frustrated.

Maybe too late for this summer but try to get at least a 1 or 2 night reservation in the park. Two days in the park gives you a lot to see. Spend a day in Cody. Spend a day or 2 exploring the Wind River Canyon, Maybe indulge in a float trip. A day or so exploring the Big Horn Basin is time well spent. Drive the Powder River pass and enjoy some of the easily passable back country roads of the Bighorns (weather permitting)...

And don't be a dumb ass. Take a real camera...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was through there on a bicycle in July, west to east.

Probly not applicable in this case but I believe camping out and traveling around on a bicycle is the best way to see Yellowstone. Campgrounds are 10 to 20 miles apart, no reservations needed. I blitzed through in three days, shoulda stayed a week. If I did it again I’d drive to West Yellowstone right outside gate, leave my car there and cycle in.

I’ll second the motion re: the mediocre food, actually awful in the immediate vicinity of Old Faithful.

Be aware that Yellowstone is an elevated Caldera, the surface of Yellowstone Lake alone is at 7,000ft, the passes around it up around 8,500 feet. Pretty high up for that far north. June could be nippy.

Sixty miles most all downhill from the top of Sylvan Pass in Yellowstone to Cody. Not far outside the East Gate I found Bill Cody’s old resort, Pahuska, had decent food. The next morning a little mom and pop joint on the south side of the highway on the west edge of town (just west of the rodeo ground) serveda decent breakfast at a reasonable price. Looked for the locals parked out front.

At least a whole day to see the museum in Cody if wife permits. If you do drive east to the Little Bighorn Battlefield from Cody, go east through the Bighorn Mountains to Sheridan and then north. Wanting to avoid the climb I went around through Billings, a boring drive.

At the LBH, after seeing the battlefield drive over the interstate into the Rez town of Hardin. On the main drag a short distance past the McDonalds there’s a cool-looking old pawnshop. Could be some interesting things there, it was closed when I blitzed through town.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I live 60 miles from Cody. Here's my list. Many were mentioned already.
Good meals at Proud Cut, the wife and my favorite place to eat. Cassie's is good but a bit pricey.
Bubba's BBQ in Jackson is much better than Cody's.

Must see....
The Museum.
The Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways.
North and South Fork highways.
The parks, of course, Yellowstone and Grand Teton, but a bit too many people for me in peak season, which will include your trip.
Sleeper alert: Bighorn Canyon National Park, 60 miles east of Cody. No crowds, great views. Take the boat trip at Horseshoe Bend. Or PM me for an even better boat ride, if I'm not fishing somewhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I live 60 miles from Cody. Here's my list. Many were mentioned already.
Good meals at Proud Cut, the wife and my favorite place to eat. Cassie's is good but a bit pricey.
Bubba's BBQ in Jackson is much better than Cody's.

Must see....
The Museum.
The Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways.
North and South Fork highways.
The parks, of course, Yellowstone and Grand Teton, but a bit too many people for me in peak season, which will include your trip.
Sleeper alert: Bighorn Canyon National Park, 60 miles east of Cody. No crowds, great views. Take the boat trip at Horseshoe Bend. Or PM me for an even better boat ride, if I'm not fishing somewhere.

Mostly this. The Irma is mediocre at best, I’d rather eat at the Cody Wendy’s. The proud cut is the best Place to eat in Cody.

Heart mtn I guess is interesting but also kind of depressing, if you want to know about it find something to read. Not much really to see there.

When you are in the parks get out of bed early and drive the good spots for critters or go see the geyser attractions. There will still be people out but the park is ALOT better before about 8:30am.

I don’t know why you’d want to fly into anywhere other than the Cody Airport.

Do not skip the beartooth hwy, some of the best scenery in the country and less people than in the Park.

With apologies to cyclists, Please don’t ride a bike around the park. They are the biggest road hazard there. I’m kidding, sort of, ok not really.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/22/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

With apologies to cyclists, Please don’t ride a bike around the park. They are the biggest road hazard there. I’m kidding, sort of, ok not really.

If it helps any, I try not to be, more than most anyhow. And a bicycle gives you absolute freedom to camp at whatever campground where and when you want, spur of the moment. For everybody else besides hikers everything is booked up to the minute about a year in advance, or so I'm told.

As for hotels, same thing. If all the hotels in Yellowstone and Jackson (I've never been to Jackson) were booked, I'd look to the town of West Yellowstone right outside the park gste.

One thing no-one has mentioned yet; inside the park there is absolutely NO phone service. Well they say there is, but the way I heard it the one tower just gets overwhelmed by the volume of calls.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you’re in the area- this was one of the best parts of a two week roast trip my wife and I took to Yellowstone/tetons.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/btnf/recarea/?recid=71639

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We stayed at The Cody the night we came out of the East side of Yellowstone. Nice hotel and the owner was a good guy. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go to the museum. Wish we'd have made time to do that. But had ahead of us a long 2-day drive back to Texas.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Stayed there once. Drove the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways. Highly recommend that. Went to the dam, it was worth a look. Ate a Steak somewhere there that night. Don't remember the name of the place but it was probably the best food I have eaten in that part of the country. If I remember right it was west of town.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old Trail Town. Very much for tourists, but I enjoyed it. It is right in Cody.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 3,238 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.