Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Alligators were always around when I was growing up, but not nearly in the numbers that we see today. They were in ponds and rivers where we swam, but stayed away from us. They were always very skittish and would disappear when people showed up. We did everything we could to encourage that sense of fear in the alligators. Most people in the area would have argued at the time that there weren't any around, but they were there if you knew where to look.

The ones I am around today seem to have lost much of their fear of humans. I think thats mostly because people want to see them and throw fish and food scraps to them.

I have a beach house on a SC coastal island that has gators in every pond and tidal creek. I have even seen them on the beach in the surf and tidal pools. These are gators that you had better pay attention to, if they are close. Don't let your dog get close to the ponds or go for a swim in one of the creeks on any of the coastal islands in the South. A gator pulled the arm off a golfer a few years ago that was reaching into a water hazard to get a golf ball. If it hadn't been for his quick thinking buddies, that grabbed the old gentleman and won the tug of war, he would have been a goner. The gator was about 10 feet long and didn't survive for very long after the encounter.

While we swam in the ponds and rivers in SE Georgia in the 50's and 60's, I would think twice about doing it now. You never know which pond is going to have a gator show up in it and the things don't seem to be skittish at all anymore.

We had a condo on Kiawah Island, SC, for awhile. At night, particularly rainy nights, the gators would wander around. The gators weren't afraid of people and more than once I saw gators in the shrubs around the condos and under the cars in the parking lots. One time we were eating dinner at King Street Grill when a hysterical woman was running around yelling that a gator had taken her little lap dog.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Yep, the swimming pool training in basic sure was entertaining. Right to the bottom without even trying a stroke.

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I wonder if century upon century of people living in schit holes doesn't make the inability to swim genetic?

Might be a workable theory except kids are the main vector, playing in streams being an inviting proposition in the Tropics. Remember the human host has to pee the egg-carrying urine into the water to complete the parasite life cycle.

We ain’t alone, virtually every creature that lives in or regularly comes into contact with water has its own bladder or colon flukes. There’s a malady called “Swimmer’s Itch”, a local itchy rash caused by a fluke larvae of some other species attapting to parasitize a human. We are just lucky that the human-adapted species are limited to the Tropics.

Flukes get amazingly sophisticated. Among shorebirds a few individuals of any given species will become so debilitated by these flukes that they are unable/unwilling to migrate North again in the spring, spending the remainder of their lives in the Tropics. These become the reservoir of infection, maintaining the parasite population when the majority of the shorebirds are absent.

I doubt that our close biological relatives the monkeys and apes have these things, the fact that we do illustrates just how very long kids have been peeing in swimming pools.

Well, empirical data implies that it has an effect.

Because anybody that's gone through boot camp remembers all the Leroy's and Tyrone's having a really bad week.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

Pulled pork...

Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gator having the pulled pork lunch is about the same size as the dog v. lizard thing I watched. Gator saw the pit mix walking the bank, got into position with about 2' of water between snout and waterline. Laid there in a very pronounced S shape. The bottom was limerock so it had both traction and swimming thrust to work with. Dog got about 5' away, big lunge and the gator tilted its head a little on the way in. One chomp on the shoulders/neck/head, dog made a little yip and they were gone. My estimate was about 1-1.5 seconds from launch to see ya.

Dog had just barely begun to react when it got chomped.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My statement was under the guise of being a member of the Texan Army serving under Gen. Houston. Then I would be bound under oath to pursue the enemy.

An oath? I’d be surprised to learn that there was an oath.

The three-day Texas independence convention is over, the siege of the Alamo is underway. Houston travels to Gonzales where he finds about 300 people, mostly Americans, waiting.

At this point Houston is facing the same problem that every other Texas commander faced, that being your men have not sworn allegiance to anyone or anything. If they don’t agree with what you order they’re not gonna do it.

Houston is forced to resort to the usual stratagem, you draw a line in the sand with your sword and you take a vote. You can’t order them to do anything but you can get them to keep their word, and if they participate in a vote it is understood they gave their word that they would comply with the outcome of that vote.

The Alamo falls and shortly afterwards the Texas Army at Goliad is captured ( no oath for them either). That’s it boys, the war’s over we lost, nobody could predict at that point that Santa Ana would be stupid enough to kick the war back to life by shooting everybody.

Nothing to do but run, so for the next month Houston is zigzagging across east Texas falling back all the time because if he goes in a straight line he’s afraid he’s going to get caught. .

Up until this time very few of the 30,000 Americans actually living in Texas had taken any part in the war. You have a very divided populace; not all of them want independence, if you own property in Texas you own that property under Mexican law.There is no way in 1836 that Texas is ever going to be allowed into the union because of the slavery issue. OTOH If you become a Republic every Johnny-come-lately is going to want the right to vote.

Note that the Independance Convention was held in diametric opposition to the Texas Consultation of 1835, very much opposed to Independence, this 1835 Government being the government that sent both Travis and Bowie to the Alamo.

Houston, ever the opportunist in his drive to be either Govenor or President, abruptly switched sides immediately prior to the Alamo siege.

Easter Sunday Santa Anna has all 340+ prisoners in Goliad shot. Immediately this makes it a matter of life and death for about 30,000 Texans who are scrambling to get their families out of the state away from Santa and his armies.

Everybody not scrambling to get their relatives out-of-the-way runs to join Sam Houston’s army because he’s the only game in town. In two weeks the Texian army grows from 300 men to 1500 men. Just two weeks after that Houston, oath or no oath, has lost half his army. Fully half is Army has left because of their intense dislike for Houston.

Houston had wanted to run northeast the way northeast to Nacogdoches, where President Jackson, his mentor, had an American army waiting. That didn’t happen because Houston’s army, then down to about 800 souls, refused to retreat anymore from a Mexican army, so Houston against his better judgement, is forced to follow his army South.

In his defense, it’s not certain that anybody could have done better with the fractious material he had to work with. Also at San Jacinto Houston would do two things that were absolutely critical to the outcome of the battle.

To slow down communications between Santa Ana and the rest of his approaching army Houston had that bridge burned. The second thing Houston did was to preserve Santa Anna‘s life after his capture.

If his men had been allowed to execute Santa Ana as they wanted nothing at all would have stopped the approach of the rest of the Mexican army, Houstons force would most likely have been defeated and scattered and we would have no pretext for declaring that we had engaged in a treaty with Mexico.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Pulled pork...

Lol.

Lessons learned....

1) Hogs are pretty quick, same thing with the hogs all those pen trapping videos.
2) When one squeals, all their buddies come running to the rescue.
3) That pig did not give up the ghost easily.
4) I'll not be swimming with gators any time soon.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Moccassins, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass sometimes.. smile

Yeah, I hate those nasty basturds.

I never gave a moments thought about gators when swimming. Water moccasins lived in my head though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Moccassins, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass sometimes.. smile

Yeah, I hate those nasty basturds.

I never gave a moments thought about gators when swimming. Water moccasins lived in my head though.

Totally hear ya there, brother.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Pulled pork...

Lol.

That's not natural selection. Those aholes on the boat oughta be throat-kicked.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Pulled pork...

Lol.

That's not natural selection. Those aholes on the boat oughta be throat-kicked.

agree

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No Alligators here

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.