Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I click an ad........ 36 ounces? I guess these are recoil reducing scopes......

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/b...ign=2020_01_06_mpo&utm_content=promo

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lots of new shooters are target shooters, not hunters, and those types are always "churning". Probably on average buy more than your typical hunter. Old farts like me are spending a lot of time shooting rimfires, and other smallbores, usually off the bench. The scopes on my hunting rifles top out at about a pound, but I've got several others that go about 20oz, a couple 30mms. More Xs make for better groups. Big tubes=more elevation for LR shooters.

it's all good IMO.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have 4 scopes that weigh the same or similar. All are on dedicated long range competition rifles. For that game, weight is beneficial to the point that some stock makers offer additional weight options. All those rigs weigh 18-20 lbs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

this is actually pretty funny, oh there is a market for it, a big one actually. We also see companies trying to one up each other, you know bigger is better right? 40mm scope tubes. basically the seal team 6 wanna bees, who shoot 20# rifles off fake barricades. Incidentally my personality is like oil and water to those types. we will probably get a couple rolling in on this thread. Go over to snipers hide for a true fill of them. These were the guys who grew up watching way too much call of duty.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Marketed toward PRS shooters, where spotting trace and/or impact is critical. Here, heavier rifles are becoming the norm because they aid in doing that, so a heavy scope is no detriment. 20 pound rigs aren’t unheard of. Any of the scopes known for absolute reliability pretty much start at 20 oz and go up. Bigger tubes for more erector travel, thicker walls for rigidity, bigger lenses for better light gathering at high magnification, etc all add up.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

this is actually pretty funny, oh there is a market for it, a big one actually. We also see companies trying to one up each other, you know bigger is better right? 40mm scope tubes. basically the seal team 6 wanna bees, who shoot 20# rifles off fake barricades. Incidentally my personality is like oil and water to those types. we will probably get a couple rolling in on this thread. Go over to snipers hide for a true fill of them. These were the guys who grew up watching way too much call of duty.

As near as I can tell, your personality is like oil and water to ALL types. Once again, spewing out your vitriol on subjects you have no experience with and people you have never met. But carry on. Some folks have to get attention however they can get it.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 01/22/20.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think ringworm or ringwald or whatever his moniker is has to have a 36 oz 36 power scope on his hunting rifles.

He's probably driving it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Pretty blanket statement, do you think all PRS Shooters are some type of wannabes? Have you even been to a match?

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Were are we on objective lens diameter? 60mm, 70mm?

You know, to gather all that light.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Some guys shoot 'em, some guys clamp 'em to a pole in the park.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I guess ol' cc thinks that people who like to shoot and actually do it frequently are all closet SOF. Are USPSA and IDPA shooters SWAT or delta posers? You might want to seek out an airsofter or video gamers board.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nobody...I mean NOBODY can prove what a DUMBPHUCK CC is like he can himself...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is there serious coin to be made running in the top 20 in the country shooting PRS? If a good shooter that can handle pressure, run turrets coupled with shooting his windshield and make good wind calls, could probably do well.

Throw-in a shît ton of practice and a decent shooting rig if the dollars were there. I could see dudes or dudettes getting serious about aspiring to become a player in this shooting sport.

To answer CC directly, Ford, Ferrari and others involved in the racing industry proved their development of products to win races translated to better products for regular drivers like soccer moms. That doesn’t mean running 50’s tires is the best way to fly for most, but if your SS Impala looks good with them, go for it. It’s Merica. Run what you want. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was probably 6-8 years ago that the PR guy at one of the major scope companies told me the big money was in competition scopes, not hunting scopes. Even then, this was sort of a "duh" observation , since the hunting market was already shrinking and the competition market was growing. (Which is the same trend that drives bullet and cartridges introductions.)

Most American hunters won't spend much more than $300 on a scope, the reason the market is now flooded with lower-priced "set-and-forget" scopes (both new and used) priced for their budget and tastes. This is due to the "Hubble" scope target-shooting demand. Competitive shooters will pay a LOT more for any perceived advantage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[quote=cumminscowboy]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It drives me nuts when I see people buying lite weight hunting rigs and then slam on vortex 6-24x50 or what ever.
WTF!?
I put a 3-12 on my 6.5 and it’s a little heavy or big for my super lite...but the 12x is nice when I want to reach out in off season on targets.
What are you going to do in thick timber on 6? With they big heavy monster? GTFOH
Now as a bench rifle, then all day long.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don’t have a problem with big scopes. If you want a 2 lb scope, fine with me.

But I don’t want a 2 lb scope, and I’m willing to save up for a good smaller one. Long live the 4x28-33! Until then I’ll have to go with the 6x42s.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As its been mentioned, there is likely far more demand for "competitive/target" based scopes than hunting scopes, and definitely more money in them. The Vortex Razor I had weighed over 40oz, and a US Optics SN3 I have now is around 33-35oz

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
With a QD mount one could take the scope off and use it as an impact weapon.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ringman.....maybe??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

126 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 13 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.